Top Chef: Season 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Howie was going to go-

1. He didn't work in the team well
2. He only wants to save himself
3. He's been in the bottom so many times now, you'd think the judges would have given him the sack already

But either way, I'm glad Sara is gone too. She didn't do ANYTHING and was really taking the safe route.

My favorites are CJ, Casey, Tre, and Brian

I don't think Sara was being safe. I really don't think she had the experience the others did. She was really annoying me the last few episodes with her whining. Maybe the pressure was getting to her. I did like her, though.

Ted Allen wasn't too pleased with Howie, either. Do any of you read their blogs on Bravo? He had nothing good to say about him this week.

I like Dale, Brian and Tre. I am still not sure about Casey. She seems strong, but so far, I'm not positive about her. I would love to see CJ win, but I am just not sure he is as strong as some of the others.

one4u2 said:
I can't stand that Howie plus he sweats over the food when he's cooking :yuck:

:yes:

Like Maddy said, I thought Howie was gonna go because he just can't work in a team setting.

Have to go soon: Howie, Sara, and Hung. Has Hung cooked anything that was any good? Even "edible" :shrug: By the way, Cold Stone ice scream with cauliflower? WTF? :huh:

I would never eat anything that i knew Howie had cooked, because he probably sweated all over it. He always has a drop of sweat ready to drop off his nose, and in the last episode it actually dropped off into the food.... :barf: Even if Howie's food was great, he still won't win because he's so difficult. Remember Tiffany from Season 1? Her food was amazing, but everybody hated her and i think that hurt her in the end.

I think Casey is worthless. She's gotten lucky a few times, but she's in no way Top Chef material. The other Sara doesn't show any great promise either.

I liked Hung's food at first, even though he's an asshole. But i think he's just trying to play the villain because he knows it makes good TV. He was friends with Marcel before the show, so he knows how it all works. Lately, he's been screwing up alot, i think because he's trying to be so different. If he doesn't get it together soon, he'll be gone.

I think Tre is a strong contender. I'm not sure about CJ, Brian or Dale. I like them, but none of them are consistently impressive. I think Brian has the best chance out of the three.

Yeah, as soon as Sara came in and said she felt demoralized, i knew she was toast. You can't go in bitching about anything when you're given this opportunity. And i was actually on Howie's side. The girl is always slow and who puts ICE in milkshakes??? Plus, she doesn't know how to season a burger? Shouldn't that be like Cooking 101?

I'm glad Tre is starting to show some personality. I hope he wins.

:giggle:

I was glad that neither Brian or Dale was sent home. I just don't think they were given enough time, at least not in the way it's shown on air.

I wonder if they will have the same parameters next week, with the budget, etc. And then you wonder if they learned from any of their mistakes. :shrug:

Howie and his risotto :mad:

Howie's risotto looked liked old scambled eggs. :yuck: When are they going to wake up and get rid of him? He doesn't deserve to be there! :banghead: He's been in the bottom how many times now?

I love that Anthony Bourdain has a Top Chef blog and I love even more that he seems to hate Howie. His comments about him crack me up every week:

Does anything penetrate Howie's shining, ballistic missile of a head? That his bullet-resistant exo-skeleton can deflect the slings and arrows of his competitors is a good thing (though an asset with diminishing returns since Joey's departure). But it appears as well, that neither logic, nor the criticisms of chefs as great as Daniel, nor the passing seasons -- nor even blunt objects -- can infiltrate the inner workings of his space-age polymer nose-cone.

"The risotto is overcooked", says Daniel freakin' Boulud, one of the best chefs in the country.

"No", says Howie, who knows better.

And if it is overcooked (which he's not admitting it is, by the way), well ... it's not his fault. It must have "sat there." (This was a nice variation on the popular murder defense of " I didn't do it but if you think I did -- well, the other guy made me do it"). You shouldn't put cream in risotto, says Tom Collichio (correctly, BTW) but here, too, Howie Knows Best. He has come to learn, he suggests, since "becoming an executive chef" that risotto is better with cream. It's not.

Of course, observant viewers and horrified Italians could CLEARLY see that Howie's risotto was sitting up like day old spackle. And while dumping on Howie, I should point out that anytime you see a cook loading up something as potentially simple and beautiful as risotto with too many "money" ingredients like black truffles AND foie gras AND wild mushrooms, you're seeing an insecure cook, temporarily bereft of ideas. Howie's dish was unimaginative (he's done risotto before), over-killed with the garnishes (pick one, numbnuts), completely inappropriate to the climate, location, season and the progression of the rest of the meal. It was also badly executed. His "defense" of eating heavy braised and stewed dishes out of season (cause he likes to) --particularly considering WHO he was talking to -- bordered on the unhinged.

However, I love the restraunt war episodes, so I'm sort of glad no one got sent home and they have to do it again. :hyper:

Come on, Howie. Even I know most of the things he's criticizing you for, and I've made risotto only once or twice :tsk: Though I have to say that if Anthony Bourdain ever called me "numbnuts," I'd probably take it as a compliment.

I missed most of last week's episode, so I'm glad they're doing restaurant wars again this week.

Any one of them could have been sent home tonight from the losing team. You could make a case for each of them. I thought the person sent home would be that person, but I didn't want it to be :sad:

Who was sent home? My wife and I were watching last night, and a large thunderstorm system went through, knocking out our DirectTV (My wife hates it, but where I live, the cable provider has even worse problems...hence everyone owns a dish in my community).

We got all the way up to where both teams were serving. Looked like the first team did better.

How Sara is still on the show I don't know. I haven't seen her cook anything worthwhile.

Tre went home. His salmon (was it salmon?) dish was terrible, as was his bread pudding. I had a feeling he was in trouble when he was telling his team he could make it in his sleep.

Did you see when the "VIPs" were at the restaurants and when Dale told Hung and Sara that Joey and Sara were there Hung was like "who?" :rolleyes:

Lila64 said:
Any one of them could have been sent home tonight from the losing team. You could make a case for each of them. I thought the person sent home would be that person, but I didn't want it to be :sad:

I wasn't shocked at the end, but I am still pretty upset by it. Even though he was probably the most qualified on the team to do it, if he hadn't taken on the executive chef position, I think he would have been fine. As it was, he probably did what a great chef would do and took the responsibility for it.

What the hell was with Casey in the quick fire? I can cut onions faster! Hung looked like something out of a horror movie there, but I will say, I was impressed.

BEAL said:

How Sara is still on the show I don't know. I haven't seen her cook anything worthwhile.

I would have agreed with you on this up until last night. She was in total control of that kitchen, and more surprisingly, held control over Howie and Hung. They both screwed up, but she made them fix it and probably saved her team's asses. I personally would have attempted to let Howie hang. Gotta give her some credit for that.

I don't know if she is really a contender to win or not, but after last night, something makes me think she has just been hanging back.

I was really surprised that Tre got sent home, but I can't argue that he didn't deserve it. That salmon dish sounded gross. Macadamia nut pesto and salmon soaked in beet juice? :yuck:

I was hoping a woman might win it this year, but I don't think Casey will be around much longer, and even though Sara surprised me last night, I still don't think she's really that amazing of a chef. My guess now is that it will come down to Hung and Brian. I really like CJ's personality (yeah, that's it, his personality :shifty: ), but I don't think he's as good a chef as either Brian or Hung. I hope Brian wins.

Brian for the win :up:

I like Casey, but I wanted to throw onions at her during the quickfire :tsk: I can't believe Tre got sent home. I also thought he would make it to the end :sigh: Howie needs to go!

:dance:

I thought this was one of the more interesting episodes in a long time. I loved Hung's quick fire dish. :lol: I'm sure he could have come up with something more substantial, but you can't help but love that...thing. I never imagined Hung would do something like that.

I thought the challenge was a little rough. I'm not sure what was going on with Brian. I think he knows better. I am wondering if he wasn't setting up some people to lose (cough, Howie, cough) and hoping he wasn't the one to good. I was worried for him, for a minute. After Tre, he is my next favorite.

As for Howie, wtf? I guess he grew up a little bit, after all. Pity he never showed it until that point. And why wouldn't the accept his decision? They've done it in the past seasons, a couple of times I think. It still ended with him leaving, though, so I'm happy.

I forgot to watch this week :grumpy: I'm sure Bravo will give me at least 10 chances to see this episode before next week's, though!

Back
Top Bottom