Top 5 Britpop Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
I'm curious what everyone's top 5 britpop albums are!

Just to refresh your minds, here are the most popular bands:

Oasis
Blur
Suede
The Verve
Supergrass
Eels
Pulp
Ash
Kula Shaker
Radiohead (1st album)
Placebo
Ocean colour scene
Super furry animals
Travis
Dodgy

Well, here's mine top5:

1. Definetely maybe - Oasis
2. Urban Hymns - The Verve
3. I should coco - Supergrass
4. Dog man star - Suede
5. K - Kula Shaker

When there are many replies I will count the points and post it.

Nr1 - 5 points
Nr2 - 4 Points
Nr3 - 3 Points
Nr4 - 2 Points
Nr5 - 1 Point

No splits

Could we get a definition of what constitutes Britpop? I don't want this to turn into an argument about the definition, but there should be some criteria. Two examples: why doesn't Radiohead's 'The Bends' count as britpop? And how does Los Angeles based band Eels fall into this category as I don't recall them doing anything remotely "britpop" sounding?

Also, are we limited to the bands listed in your post?

1. Stone Roses - Stone Roses
2. Urban Hymns - The Verve
3. Lost Souls - Doves
4. Definitely Maybe - Oasis
5. The Man Who - Travis

1. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
2. Pulp - Different Class
3. Oasis - What's the story (morning glory)
4. Blur - Parklife
5. Blur - The Great Escape

1. Blur - The Great Escape
2. Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
3. The Verve - Urban Hymns
4. Lightning Seeds - Sense
5. Radiohead - Pablo Honey (to an extent)

(1) Suede - Dog Man Star
(2) Suede - Suede
(3) Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
(4) Pulp - Common People
(5) Echobelly - I Can't Imagine The World Without Me

I personally think A Northern Soul is better than Urban Hymns but I'm not sure if it could be considered Britpop.

Last edited:
POP-ROMANCER said:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...50DD3CAE81AFDDE6C383587EAA7705843&sql=77:2681

Here are some definitions of BritPop from allmusic.com. Also there we find a list of the top artists from Brit Pop.

No, your not limited to the bands I posted. I thought maybe it's easy for the ones that don't know much Britpop bands.

Thanks POP-ROMANCER. That helps me as I've only flirted on the outskirts of most britpop. Here's my top five:

Stone Roses...Stone Roses
Doves.........Lost Souls
Blur...........Parklife
Ride....Nowhere ( I guess this is more shoegaze, but I don't own much britpop)
Travis.....The Man Who

I honestly don't consider the Stone Roses part of Britpop. Most of their best stuff was done before the phrase Britpop had even been coined. But more importantly it was too dance oriented to be considered Britpop I feel. Similarly I wouldn't consider the Charlatans to be Britpop.

But these definitions are always going to be arbitrary.

interesting... I was just coming in here to look up what people had to say on Travis. I really dont know them all that well. Just watched the Live 8 DVD yesterday, and took a liking to them and their song Sing.

Any suggestions as to which album to check out first?

Last edited:
POP-ROMANCER said:

Probably the best album is The Man Who.
Tomorrow I'm going to buy Good Feeling.

Good Feeling is much more of a rock record than anything else they recorded. Loads of distorted guitars, very few acoustic guitars.:drool:

1. Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish
2. Cast - All Change
3. Suede - Coming Up
4. Oasis- Definately Maybe
5. Pulp - Different Class

I like this thread, glad to see someone else give Modern Life Is Rubbish a mention, it's a masterpiece.

The Wonder Stuff: Never Loved Elvis
Ride: Going Blank Again
The Boo Radleys: Giant Steps
Ned's Atomic Dustbin: Are You Normal?
Teenage Fanclub: Bandwagonesque

As far as I'm concerned, Brit-Pop had it's "glory years" from 1990-1993.

Good Thread but highly contentious...

1. Morning Glory - Oasis
2. Stone Roses - Stone Roses
3. 1977 - Ash
4. Be Here Now - Oasis
5. Urban Hymns - The Verve

It is difficult, however, for me to put down the Stone Roses because as financeguy said before, it was before BritPop had even been coined. It is associated more with Madchester...

I was hesitant at putting 1977 down there too, cause I've always felt that the album was too punky for the BritPop tag.

Classy Album though....

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Oasis - Morning Glory
Supergrass - In It For The Money
Verve - Northern Soul
Verve - Urban Hymns

I would argue that anything post The Great Escape by Blur isn't really Britpop. And the initial suggestion of Super Furry Animals doesn't really fit as they've been genre-benders from the start (plus they're probably more talented than all of these bands combined). I don't know that The Verve really fits in here either, just doesn't have that sound to it. The more timeless the recording (like Urban Hymns), the less it really belongs on this list. I also agree with the above-mentioned disqualification of Stone Roses...if you're going to include that why not the whole Manchester scene of Happy Mondays, etc?

1. Blur, Parklife (does it really get any more "Brit" or "Pop" than this? I don't think so.
2. Supergrass, In It For The Money
3. Pulp, A Different Class
4. Suede, Coming Up
5. Oasis, Definitely Maybe

I hate Oasis with every fibre of my being but there's no denying the quality of this record, and it deserves a place on the list. The overcooked Beatles emulations of the follow-ups are much weaker in retrospect.

i agree regarding oasis. champagne supernova, wonderwall, and don't look back in anger will always be classics.

U2Man said:
Pablo Honey? Not really Britpop, is it? :scratch:

haha, no sorry. but i have no other britpop LPs to put in my list and there'll be a cold day in hell before i list anything by oasis.

The Stone Roses * The Stone Roses
Suede * Dog Man Star
Pulp * Different Class
Oasis * Morning Glory
Suede * Suede

Back
Top Bottom