Top 25 worst movie remakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He wasn't particularly brilliant in Blow. Just sort of played the typical low-key cocky guy.

I remember loving Finding Neverland, but I don't recall it having much to do with Depp's performance. I may be wrong though, as it's been a while.

Finding Neverland made me cry my eyes out, yikes.

I enjoyed Depp's performance in that film, as I have in many other films, but, I do not consider him to be an amazing actor.

I liked Sleepy Hollow a lot.

phillyfan26 said:

I completely disagree. I think the entire thing was an insult to Gene Wilder. Wilder played the role so perfectly, one of my favorite roles ever, regardless of the movie itself. Wilder was perfect. Depp had an impossible task, so he tried to make it unique, but just made it weird. The whole movie was weird. I hated it and got a little freaked out. The original was a good movie with one of my favorite characters ever. The remake just was a terrible idea. If while you're making a remake you realize you need to change a lot up in order to make your unique because the original did very well ... you probably should't be making that remake.

But my point is that Burton's version wasn't a remake it was just another interpretation / adaptation of an existing source material. What about stories like Frankenstein or Dracula that have been adapted God knows how many times? None of them are remakes of an 'original' film. Just because Wilder starred in the first adaptation doesn't make it the 'original' and to call Burton's version an insult to Gene Wilder is just wrong. The character of Willy Wonka existed way before he had a go at it.

-----------------------

Johnny Depp was awesome AND memorable in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Libertine to name a few.

Okay, he was excellent in Ed Wood, then again, Tim Burton was on the top of his game, too. Neither have been as great since.

PlaTheGreat said:
He does some really great stuff that amazes me. But when he starts to act weird, just for the sake of being weird, he grates me. Especially when his character becomes the posterboy for Hot Topic for a season or two. "Oh look! Captain Jack Sparrow is weird, JUST LIKE ME. I love him foreververververevrerver!"

And Tim Burton is just so hit or miss.
That's more of a reflection of idiot kids today rather than Johnny Depp.

Sweeney Todd is a definite hit. :up:

Has anybody mentioned War Of The Worlds yet?

I haven't seen the original, but I'm still fairly certain that it's a thousand times better than the remake, which was the first film Tom Cruise did in what I call the 'Post-prime Looney Toons Cruise' phase of his career.

I liked War of the Worlds more than I was expecting to ... the first half was great because I found myself caught up in the terror and alien destruction.

(Hey, I'll even admit to liking Independence Day because I like watching aliens blow shit up. Oh, and weather. I dug The Day After Tomorrow because I liked seeing weather blow shit up.)

However, the second half dragged and the ending was so ludicrous it almost wiped out my enjoyment of most of the movie.

corianderstem said:
I liked War of the Worlds more than I was expecting to ... the first half was great because I found myself caught up in the terror and alien destruction.

(Hey, I'll even admit to liking Independence Day because I like watching aliens blow shit up. Oh, and weather. I dug The Day After Tomorrow because I liked seeing weather blow shit up.)

However, the second half dragged and the ending was so ludicrous it almost wiped out my enjoyment of most of the movie.

It's my least favorite Spielberg flick, right in front of The Lost World, Temple of Doom, and Hook.

The family dynamic established at the beginning was basically thrown to the trash after the son having to go over the Flaming Hill of Death and thinking it's a good idea to stay in a cellar with Tim Robbins.

The original War of the Worlds is only worth it if you're looking for a laugh. It's like every other 1950's alien B-movie out there. It's really quite unremarkable once you've seen the remake. (Which by the way, I consider to be a great film.) :drool:

Aliens :combust:

Spielberg :combust:

I like Depp for playing oddball roles most actors his popularity probably wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
I'm surprised Jack Sparrow didn't get a nomination.

Back
Top Bottom