Top 10 Most DISSAPOINTING albums of 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't compile a list but I'll contribute 'Some Cities'. I'm sorry, there are some really great songs on it ('Almost Forgot Myself' is brilliant and 'Snowden' is awesome) but most of it just flies by, really.

I just can think in "X&Y", I used to like Coldplay a lot, I still enjoy Parachutes and AROTH, but this one... :|

Not sure I have 10 disappointments, but here's a few.

Juliana Hatfield.........Made in China
The Go! Team..........Thunder, Lightning Strike
Ben Lee............Awake is the New Sleep
Coldplay........X&Y (not so much a disappointment; I expected bland and I got bland)
Mars Volta.........Frances the Mute (put down the pipe and start writing some songs that clock in under 10 minutes)

Here's my top 5 disappointments:

1. Weezer - Make Believe
2. Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbrace
3. Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
4. The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
5. Coldplay - X&Y

paul mccartney - chaos and whatever
agnostic front - another voice

Gotta agree with the reference to Some Cities. That one was so disappointing it hurt.

Also,
Kathleen Edwards... Back to You. Failer is one of my favorite albums of the last few years. This one's not bad, but it is lost momentum from Failer.

Switchfoot... Nothing Is Sound. I thought Beautiful Letdown was a solid album for what it was: about five shimmering three and a half minute sugar gems, with a handful of U2 style emotional anthems. This last album is just weak.

Son Volt... Okemah and the Melody of Riot. Again, a decent album, but not in the same class with the others - Son Volt releases or Sebastopol. Jay's last two, this one and Terroir Blues, have been discouraging.

Broken Social Scene. I may change my mind on this one over time, but I'd rather hear the same songs from bootlegs, which got my hopes up in the first place. I'm just not into the treatment that these songs got in the studio. :nerd:

billy corgan - the future embrace

one of the biggest flops in recent music memory, other than zwan, so much so hes looking to re-recruit all the former members of the smashing pumpkins

depeche mode - playing the angel - just average i guess... but i dont really care because theyre only making music for the hell of making music these days

madonna - confessions on the dancefloor

yertle-the-turtle said:
Can't compile a list but I'll contribute 'Some Cities'. I'm sorry, there are some really great songs on it ('Almost Forgot Myself' is brilliant and 'Snowden' is awesome) but most of it just flies by, really.

you beat me to it. i was sooooooooooo dissapointed in this. 'the last broadcast' was such a good album but this was a real let down :(

Billy Corgan's album wasn't disappointing for me since I never thought for a second that it wouldn't suck. Weezer's latest was a kick in the nuts, though.

Chaos and Whatever is awesome. "Fine Line," "Jenny Wren," "Friends To Go," "Too Much Rain," "Riding To Vanity Fair"; it's the soundtrack to a rainy day.

Some Cities, very much so. But I kind of wasn't expecting it to be as good as Lost Souls, which is almost perfect to me.

I only bought two other albums, In Your Honour (which was absolutely terrible, huge disappointment for me) and Body of Song by Bob Mould, which I wasn't expecting much of, and I didn't get much from. However, the first song on the album, "Circles" is just awesome, a damn fine rock song.

boring crap:
conjure one
coldplay
moby
weezer

a bit disappointing initially but actually quite good:
doves
british sea power
blackalicious

i knew there was a reason i was glad i still haven't heard x&y.

Don't Believe the Truth - Oasis
It was a good album but it didn't meet my expectations.

Future Embrace - Billy Corgan
This album was not good. Plain and simple it was a big dissapointment for me.

Last edited:
I was dissapointed by

Wolf Parade
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Franz Ferdinand
Bright Eyes
Coldplay
Royksopp
Nicklecreek

Maybe some others too, we will see

IWasBored said:
i knew there was a reason i was glad i still haven't heard x&y.

Don't ever subject your poor ears to it. Ever. Listening to X&Y is the equivalent of sticking your head into an iron maiden.

Hallucination said:
Don't Believe the Truth - Oasis
It was a good album but it didn't meet my expectations.

Ditto. I mean, it wasn't a bad album, just in comparison with What's The Story or Definitely Maybe it's a bit dull.

Coldplay - X&Y
Yeah, it's all pretty and lush and super-epic, shame they forgot to write any interesting or memorable songs while they were at it.

Garbage - Bleed Like Me
I will always love Shirley, but perhaps it's time for her to go solo.

Robbie Williams - Intensive Care
Not that his previous albums weren't patchy, but he always had some stellar pop songs. Not anymore, alas.

Billy Corgan's album has 2 great songs on it - the rest are mediocre at best. Broken Social Scene's album stinks - it's way too noisy and full of nonsense - no real songs. As far as The Mars Volta goes...LOVE IT!!! I know, it's true about the song lengths but what the heck there's some brilliant stuff happening within these "songs". All in all 2005 wasn't the greatest year for music - sorta like 1985 and 1995. It must be a mid-decade thing.

GibsonGirl said:

Don't ever subject your poor ears to it. Ever. Listening to X&Y is the equivalent of sticking your head into an iron maiden.

:lol:

I would say it's X&Y. There was so much hype around this, and all the critics thought it was brilliant.

I now know never to listen to critics, or to Coldplay! :sick:

Elvis Presley said:
I was dissapointed by

Wolf Parade
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Franz Ferdinand
Bright Eyes
Coldplay
Royksopp
Nicklecreek

Maybe some others too, we will see

I"'l pick on you because I respect your taste in music quite a lot.

Wolf Parade = great. i heard them before the hype so maybe that helped :p one of my top 5 of the year i think.

Clap Your Hands.. can't stand the guy's voice.. otherwise they would be good. It's grown on me a bit. I don't usually think of debuts as disappointing, though.

Franz = pretty good i think, but maybe a little disappointing, i'm not sure.

Bright Eyes = hell no. I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is daaaamn good. the digital ashes one is less good, though.

Royksopp = a bit. but.. i really really like the new album now. Might have to do with seeing them live and being completely blown away but there's some killer tracks on there.

menelaos said:
Franz Ferdinand for me....
Big dissapointment.....

The expectations were high, though...

I have to disagree with you here. I think their album is very good. Or rather, excellent. Catchy, short, to the point and bursting with ideas. Granted, there are a few tracks on it that still don't grab me fully, but there's enough to blow me off my socks.
And they were brilliant live last night! :rockon:

As for X&Y, it was part of the audio selection on my flights to and from Boston, so I listened to the full album a couple of times. It's indeed a bit too bland for my tastes. There are some good songs on it though (as derivative as it might be, Speed Of Sound is a nice song and Talk is sounding better with each listen). Still, not enought highlights for me.
At the release of the record I saw one review which described the album accurately. It isn't an OK Computer (what many were expecting and what the hype reviews were describing it was) but it isn't a Be Here Now either (completely over-hyped turd). X&Y is just another Coldplay album.

:)

Back
Top Bottom