**TOOL** Long overdue appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Long overdue appreciation thread

For Tool.

:wink:

Naysayers also welcome, I like to marvel at other's fear of a good thumping bass :wink:

And will the new member 'SmileyGladHands' please respond. I want to know if you are too, a fan.

i saw the one reply and forgot it was me, and opened this.

why am i admitting to this?

will someone ban me or something?????

I understand some people's fascination with them...to a certain extent.
They are talented and presice.
But the last album wasn't very good and I got SO tired of hearing everyone say "ooooh, you hear how long he held that scream"

yeah, good for him

Tool fall prey to their presicion. Most songs of their are a type of mindnumbingly dark math rock, cold and calculated...self-indulgent.
Maynard annoys me to no end on his lifelong quest to make sure everyone understands he is a nihlist.
There there, maynard...shut up

This self-indulgence makes its way into the words and macabre/satanic artwork.

for me, tool are much to icy.
Too much math and not enough art

I enjoy perfect circle much more, though many of my concerns can be transferred

I love Tool and A Perfect Circle! They are some of the most talented musicians around and there is almost no other band that sounds like them. Besides that, their gigs are super! I can understand if you think they are icy, but that's just a part of the music/image. You either like it or you don't.

Best album (I think): Undertow
Best gig: Noorderligt, Tilburg (the Netherlands) somewhere in 1994 or 1995... Brilliant! Closely followed by the gig at Pukkelpop in Belgium in 1993 (I think???)

O yeah, and I think Maynard James Keenan deserves a statue (even if it's just in my backgarden or something), simply because he's been making albums now for over 10 years and he's never released one bad album or even a bad song for that matter (that's my opinion, don't attack me on that one, I understand if people don't share this view). And in my humble opinion not even U2 has been able to do that... As you can gather from this reply: I'm a huge fan of Tool and A Perfect Circle! (and of U2 ofcourse!)

Back in high school, I remember hating Tool. Nowadays, I quite like them and A Perfect Circle. Mostly I've just heard their songs on the radio. I don't own any of their albums, but I've been considering it.

Edit: Any advice on which album (or which band) to start with?

Good thread Angela.

I agree with Basstrap to the extent that most of their music is quite calculated and tight... which may not be as interesting as some other stylistic approaches. But as far as the live show goes, having seen both TOOL and A Perfect Circle, both bands perform an amazing experience (visually and musically). Easily one of the most underrated set of live acts out there. They may in the future be seen for what bands they inspire, rather than what body of work they produce.

I would recommend starting with TOOL. Despite the label of a pretentious alt-art-rock album, Lateralus might be a good place to start.

:up:

i cant stand this band, and this is mostly due to my older brother who would seriously blast them very loud on sunday mornings... my only days to sleep in. that, and i can't stand maynard's angry sounding voice.:|

elevation2u said:
i cant stand this band, and this is mostly due to my older brother who would seriously blast them very loud on sunday mornings... my only days to sleep in. that, and i can't stand maynard's angry sounding voice.:|

it's one of those bands who you don't want to listen to cos generally their fans are tools

hah
get it!

no, but seriously

Basstrap said:

it's one of those bands who you don't want to listen to cos generally their fans are tools

hah
get it!

no, but seriously

very true. it's probably what keeps them from becoming one of my favorite bands.

The most passionate heavy metal band ever. Maynard displays an emotion with his voice never before heard w/ music that heavy. They are GREAT!

I've wanted Lateralus since it came out. I still havent gotten it yet though.

'Schism' is an amazing song.

Excellent description mofo. They are very precise. Which is good and bad. In terms of losing the art though, it certainly can easily become a negative.

Songs to recommend:
Forty Six and 2
Aenima
Eulogy

:up:

Love Tool:wink:

nothing like listening to 'hooker with a penis' up really loud and what a great name for a song too!!! I also love opiate (the song) and nearly the whole entire 'aenima' album......definately one of the best drum sounds around:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom