Tom Petty halftime shennanigans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It wasn't the best performance, but at least they went with someone who actually has authentic talent instead of some prepackaged star.

Tom Petty is good stuff. :up:

I liked it. A little sleepy at times, but not bad.

I saw Tom Petty in Jackson Hole, WY a few years ago and it was one of the best concerts I've been too. He certainly didn't seem old and tired then. A great American musician.

Pretty sure I read in Rolling Stone that in '04-'05, he holed himself up in a shack in the woods and went through a ton of heroin.

That'll do the trick if you want to age yourself 20 years in a hurry.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

90% of the attendence would be like "who the fuck is this?"

Yes, but it sure wouldn't be boring. :drool:

Fantastic for me. Confusing for everyone else. :up:

phanan said:

If it is a classic rock act, the most obvious one who hasn't done the Super Bowl yet is Springsteen, but I'm not sure if he's interested.

Led Zeppelin will be in fine form and touring again (probably getting ready to go out) next February. :hmm:

DaveC said:

Another classic rock act? A hip-hop act?

NO!!!

They'll go with with a rock group that most know...

It will be Foo Fighters or Nickelback, now I hate to put both of those in the same category, but it will be someone with that kind of appeal...

LemonMelon said:

:yikes: With any luck, the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl that year too.

:mad:

But seriously, I'd take a Nickelback halftime show if it meant a Cowboys title.

phanan said:

If it is a classic rock act, the most obvious one who hasn't done the Super Bowl yet is Springsteen, but I'm not sure if he's interested.

i actually brought this up after the half time show to someone i was sitting with at the party, but then changed my mind when i realized that springsteen's songs are entirely too long for a half time show.

i mean really... petty could get in 4 songs. bruce would barely be able to fit in jungleland.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the who will do next year's super bowl half time show. or perhaps some sort of motown thing, considering as it's in detroit. or perhaps kiss :hmm:

and i for one thought petty was pretty good... but maybe i was drunk.

phanan said:

We were talking about that Sunday and I mentioned Springsteen. This might have been a great year to do it.

I think they stick with the classic rock for next year. All I know is as long as they never do another Britney/N'Sync craptacular like a few years back, I'll be happy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i actually brought this up after the half time show to someone i was sitting with at the party, but then changed my mind when i realized that springsteen's songs are entirely too long for a half time show.

i mean really... petty could get in 4 songs. bruce would barely be able to fit in jungleland.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the who will do next year's super bowl half time show. or perhaps some sort of motown thing, considering as it's in detroit. or perhaps kiss :hmm:

and i for one thought petty was pretty good... but maybe i was drunk.

You were drunk. :wink:

As for Bruce, his major hit songs aren't long at all. How about this four song setlist, representing old and new:

Radio Nowhere
Badlands
The Rising
Born To Run

And if he could only do three, then remove one. Hell, U2 essentially did two and a half.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

We get it next year, too? :hyper: ;)

The Stones did the Detroit halftime show. I was going to go downtown to volunteer to be in the crowd, too, but alas, I didn't.

Last edited:
Bruce wouldn't do Jungleland anyway. At a Super Bowl?!

Phanan's on the right track. I'd guess Radio Nowhere (because he's not as irrelevant as Tom Petty, he can get away with something recent), but probably not The Rising. Then Glory Days (even though the song's about baseball, he'd probably change the lyric), with Born to Run as the big finale.

Bet on it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It will be Foo Fighters or Nickelback, now I hate to put both of those in the same category, but it will be someone with that kind of appeal...

Yup! I can definitely see the Foos doing Superbowl sometime in the near future.

Wow! I don't think we have agreed so much... ever! :ohmy: :wink:

phanan said:

You were drunk. :wink:

As for Bruce, his major hit songs aren't long at all. How about this four song setlist, representing old and new:

Radio Nowhere
Badlands
The Rising
Born To Run

And if he could only do three, then remove one. Hell, U2 essentially did two and a half.

Born To Run with 70,000+ fans? :drool:

lazarus said:
Bruce wouldn't do Jungleland anyway. At a Super Bowl?!

Phanan's on the right track. I'd guess Radio Nowhere (because he's not as irrelevant as Tom Petty, he can get away with something recent), but probably not The Rising. Then Glory Days (even though the song's about baseball, he'd probably change the lyric), with Born to Run as the big finale.

Bet on it.

I wouldn't be surprised by Dancin' in the Dark either. When he played that in Philly, it was the best song of the night. I loved looking down and seeing the stadium staff on the floor, who'd been pretty normal for most of the setlist, wildly dancing with the fans towards the back of the floor.

However, yeah, you've pretty much nailed it there.

Do you guys think that "Born in the U.S.A." wouldn't be on Bruce's hypothetical setlist? That +" Born To Run"+ anything else he wanted to include=Amazing.

Also, I would love to see Madonna do the halftime show one year.

Back
Top Bottom