Tom Petty...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
...owns you. We all should learn a few things from him.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Me "Don't hate me because I'm bitter."

AIM: JuanSwallow

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 04-06-2002).]

Even though he is from Gatorsville-er, Gainesville, Florida, he is one of my favorite artists.

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 04-06-2002).]

i've been listening to a lot more of his stuff lately. not to big on the early work, but the 90's stuff is great.
any suggestions for the early stuff?

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i've been listening to a lot more of his stuff lately. not to big on the early work, but the 90's stuff is great.

His best early album is probably 'Damn the Torpedos'. He was becoming a stronger album artist by then. His 'Greatest Hits' and 'Anthology' albums do justice to his early work too, they get the essential songs. Petty was more a of songsmith than an album artist in the early days so you get the best of his work from those.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
His SHE'S THE ONE soundtrack is one of his most under-rated albums.

yeah. that's the one that first hooked me. it's incredible.

It's nice to see a tom petty thread here. Along with U2, he and the Heartbreakers are my favorite bands. His work hasnt gotten the biggest press of late, but I still find his songs to be highly enjoyable. Certainly check out Damn the Torpedoes or Full Moon Fever..but Echo is also a great album.

------------------
You're dangerous, 'cos you're honest.
You're dangerous, you don't know what you want

Originally posted by Hewson:
Originally posted by kobayashi:

Damn the Torpedoes

Yes! That was a good one, the one that made me a fan. Get all of them, but do get Full Moon Fever. It's good from start to finish with no songs I want to skip and that is a rare thing for me. Of course get his anthololgy.

Tom is a great guy. He is the only rock star who seems like a friend to me. I like Bono more, but I am intimidated by him, where Tom is like a buddy you could just pick up in your car and go, come on Tom, let's go for a ride. I don't know how to explain it, he's just a down home all around easy going good guy, like a regular person. I like him and his music.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

I was actually looking for my Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Greatest Hits" album yesterday, but it's back home.

Tom Petty is outstanding!

Well, quite frankly, I have a little beef with Tom Petty. See, in Free Falling, he makes this big deal in the beginning about how wonderful this girl is. Then he dumps her! No reason! Why?? Then he's happy about it! "And I'm a bad boy cause I don't even miss her..."

AGGHH! What a mean guy! Really, I mean, c'mon....

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Well, quite frankly, I have a little beef with Tom Petty. See, in Free Falling, he makes this big deal in the beginning about how wonderful this girl is. Then he dumps her! No reason! Why?? Then he's happy about it! "And I'm a bad boy cause I don't even miss her..."

AGGHH! What a mean guy! Really, I mean, c'mon....

Bah I love that song, you shut yer mouth! lol

i love tom petty, theyre huge! summer tour every year, how cool is that?

------------------
-deathbear

Tom Petty is great. Great songwriter and the Heartbreakers are a great band. And they've been around forever. I'm actually really digging some of the early stuff lately, and I've been meaning to check out Damn The Torpedos - so far I only have the greatest hits and Wildflowers - both awesome albums.

The first time I saw Tom Petty was 24 yrs ago .
The venue was Santa Monica Civic Aud -2500 capcity. 1978.
Eddie Money opened up the show.
We sat in the 3rd row.
The 1st album is best
and the 3rd one is good.

Diamond

oh yeah, i've always enjoyed TP & the HB's music since i first heard the song "Refugee"...wooo..that was many moons ago
biggrin.gif
I agree that Tom is very much like a regular guy..not intimadating to get close to..like a best bud. Yeah, most of the lyrics in his songs sound like they reflect the real world, so if a grrl gets dumped...and the guy dont miss her..well, that just doesnt happen, RIGHT???? Anyway, its a group that's been around a long time..and i've even enjoyed Tom's solo projects...so thanks for the music, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers! Congrats on being inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as well..its where you belong
smile.gif

Oh, i cant forget to mention..the concerts these guys put on is superb! When i went to my first TP&the HBs in the late 70's like Mr. Diamond, the thing that has stuck in my mind all these yrs..was that during the song "Break Down"..Tom didnt get to sing the first verse at all...cuz the audience was sooo loudly singing it...he just let it happen...right into the chorus..hahaha...then right after that...he tells us.."you guys are gonna put me out of a job!"....woooo...they rock!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"life should be fragrant; rooftop to the basement". Peace, U2 lovers ...from AdamGrrl

*raises hand* for the Jezebel & Diamond club

summer of 1980...fell head over heels in love with my date at a Tom Petty concert. Same guy who came home from his job at a record store one day and said, "check out this new Irish band..." with 'Boy' in his hands.

So Tom and U2 were 'ours.'

Damn, I'm old.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
*raises hand* for the Jezebel & Diamond club

summer of 1980...fell head over heels in love with my date at a Tom Petty concert. Same guy who came home from his job at a record store one day and said, "check out this new Irish band..." with 'Boy' in his hands.

So Tom and U2 were 'ours.'

Damn, I'm old.

with age comes wisdom, joyfulgirl
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jezebel:
We must be in the same age group
biggrin.gif

I saw TP in 78 at UC Riverside.
And 81 at the Forum.

Jezebel-
I was at that show!
Immediately after that he did a 'suprise show' at The Whiskey in Hollywood the next night. I attended that show.
I bumped into David Lee Roth as he was strolling thru the crowd.
We chatted.

Joyful -
I like our club.

Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-10-2002).]

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Jezebel-
I was at that show!
Immediately after that he did a 'suprise show' at The Whiskey in Hollywood the next night. I attended that show.
We chatted.

Joyful -
I like our club.

Diamond

You saw the UCR show? or the Forum show? I remember the Forum show being on superbowl Sunday, cause the Rams (the LA Rams, that is) were playing for the first time ever, I think, in a superbowl.

And, whatever happened to David Lee Roth, anyway?

I've often thought that we should start a group for older U2 fans
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

We chatted.

My brother would be so jealous. He reveres Dave. He saw him perform some time last year, I think, at some festival in Washington state. I heard some weird rumour like Dave and Sammy finally met, got along really well (after years of slagging each other) and might tour together!! But it's all rumour where Van Halen is concerned.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 04-10-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom