Today I resigned...and wrote a scathing letter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
For those of you who don't know, I am what's known as a "Development Manager" or fundraiser for charities. My area is Major Gifts, whereby I ask wealthy people, or even not wealthy people for large gifts to do amazing things like fund scholarships, buy equipment, build buildings etc.

I was overjoyed when I got a job at a local humane society here....my last job had been quite boring, and this was one of my dream causes.

Well, although it is STILL one of my dream causes, I never could have imagined that the megalomaniacal lunatic that runs the board (and his cronies that he appointed himself) could want to actually get in the way of raising more money for the animals. (This board staged a coup to get into power....and our by laws are so pathetic we can't get rid of them...no matter how much they abuse their position, have conflicts of interest, etc.)

He treats the place like his own personal vanity project, controlling everything that happens and not allowing me to accomplishing anything. Not only that, but most staff are on month to month contracts, and people are resigning like crazy. He now expects the CEO to do his job, plus HR Director, plus Director of fundraising!!

It drives me CRAZY!!!!! It's such a waste!!! :scream:

I don't want to bore you with all the dreary politics, but here is my letter of resignation.

It is with profound regret that I write this letter to inform you of my resignation from my position as Manager, Major Gifts Corporate and Planned Giving. It had always been my intention to spend many happy years working for the Society, combining my talents as a fundraiser with my boundless enthusiasm for the cause to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the animals. This organization has enormous potential to develop meaningful and fruitful relationships with corporations, individuals and foundations, but it has now been made painfully obvious to me that as long as the current Board of Directors under (Dr. Evil) is in power, my ideas and initiatives will continue to be shot down, or at best ignored.

What I find especially frustrating, is that the ideas I have presented, while new to the Society, are ?tried, tested and true? in charities across Canada and the US. They are based on sound principles of cultivating and involving the donors in our mission, and then effectively stewarding and recognizing them for their gifts.....(examples I won't bore you with) It is clear to me that if I have had to work for 4 months to implement a simple web link promotion with (keen sponsor) to no avail, the chance of implementing more significant initiatives is slim at best.

Finally, I would like to express how appalled I am with the lack of respect Dr. Evil and his Board have shown the hard working, talented and committed staff at the Society, particularly in the cases of Ms. X and Mr X (my boss). The significant contributions that these two individuals made to the Society have gone completely unrecognized. If Dr. Evil cannot see the value in hiring and keeping talented staff, with permanent contracts and the freedom to do the jobs for which they were hired, he will soon find himself in a similar position to Emperor Nero, fiddling while Rome burns to the ground.

Mr. CEO, it has been a pleasure working with you, and I wish you all the luck in the world with the challenges ahead. Please be assured that I truly believe in this organization and plan to continue supporting the Society both financially as a volunteer for many years to come.

I wanted to make it much ruder, but he probably would have sued me. This could have been so great! How could this man let his ego get in the way of this cause???

The good news is...I have an even better job at the National Ballet School! :happy: It's one of the best ballet/academic schools in the world and they are building a brand new facility...it's an exciting time. I shudder to think what will happen to the humane society though.....it would be better just to close down and start over.

OK! Enough rambling from me! And how was your day? :sexywink:

Last edited:
Good for you Jess! :up:

Change is good, especially when it leads to bigger and better things :sexywink:

Dr. Evil :lmao:

Thanks guys! :D

Yeah SweetestThing....I would have loved the job if it weren't for that one thing...too huge a thing to ignore. My contract was going to run out anyway....and the CEO didn't show him my letter, and he didn't even react when he learned I was leaving. BAH! :tsk:

But yeah THE NATIONAL (for those of you non-ballet types, this is the holy grail of ballet schools in Canada...).

After getting rejected by that place for years and years I finally got in! :laugh:

Kick some ass, Jess!! :hug:

Now, when you head out here, check out the Ansel Adams exhibit and the John Singer Sargeant exhibit at the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA). I was going to tell you about this in the Vegas thread, but what the hell, I'm here now.

See you in a week!

Mrs. Edge said:

He treats the place like his own personal vanity project, controlling everything that happens

:hmm:
(reminds me of a place) :angry:;)

After reading this thread all i can only muster up is the standard proverbial comment-

"you go girl" ..:angry::up:

seriously- good going and good luck ..:)

diamond

Last edited:
it's about time you got outta there. you haven't sounded like yourself for months. :(

good on ya!!! :D woohoo! go jess!

:up: Exccellent letter! Good work and good luck on your new job! Very exciting! :) So what will you be doing at the National Ballet?

I think we need to celebrate.

We should have a Toronto Interland get together.

Me, you, Whacka, Kobe, Anitram, um...I don't know who else lives in T.O....maybe when you get back from Vegas?

I've been in situations where I had to deal with stupid egos and power games. It's sickening. It's better not to deal with some people because they're just going to keep on playing their stupid games until they kicked in the :censored:. Sometimes you just have to walk away from situations that are too out of control.

I'm sorry that the place you thought you could do such good for is a crappy place to work at thanks to Dr. Evil. But I hope that this new opportunity is even more satisfying and makes you happy Mrs. Edge!:yes:

Wow! What wonderful, supportive responses! Thank you!!!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Janine, a party after Vegas sound great to me! :yes:

Angel, I will be in charge of raising $500,000 for annual operations from donors who give $1,000 or more per year, plus another $300,000 per year for the endowment (which is basically like a GIC - savings for the future). I will also be in charge of all the estate gifts.

The best part though is that I will get to watch all these classes, work with the students, go to performances, etc.

It used to be that whenever I saw an NBS student, I would be bitter and angry because I never got into the school...fortunately now I have mellowed with age! :lol: Now I just want to help them on their journeys to becoming professional dancers around the world.

holy crap - and congrats

seeing the situation first hand.......congratulations on getting out!

Next up - and I think I had a conversation with either you and/or my other "friend" from the Humane Society about this - but I REALLY believe furhter action needs to be taken to sort of "save" the Humane Society from complete disaster. I think it is time to bring the story of complete and udder lack of competence to the TO press. In the long run, it will be good for the Human Society. It may suffer initially (fundraising-wise), but new leadership will bring confidence back to donors, and people will always want to save the animals - hopefully.

CHEERS!

Back
Top Bottom