To all the kids who survived the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60' & 70's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
Born 1930-1979?

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED
the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking. As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Last edited:
The good ole days :up: Im a child of the 60's and I wish I could go back in time just for one day. Thanks for the post it brought back a lot of good memories.

:up: Top thread!

I was born in 1975.....and mum & dad brought me home in a cane bassinet that sat in the back seat (they can't remember if that was even strapped in!) of a kingswood.....and (much to my horror) i was apparently reared on Carnation milk.

I was born in 1978 and everything is so true:lmao:

drank from the hose:shifty: still do sometimes....
always outside, eating mud:lol:

everything except my mom smoking:yes:

ahhhhhhh*sigh...my kids are going to grow up the same way...no bottled water, no tv, no vidoe games. Whatever they would have seen on TV we are going to take them there...let them climb the trees...eat the dirt, skin thier knees, shoot a gun...drink from the hose never out of a bottle from the grocery store...built forts, grow a garden, run wild through the woods with the dog...know milk comes from cows not just the store...:drool: the good old days..now I'm just rambling

Although I wasn't born in one of these years, I sometimes wish I was... :sigh:

And some people think that would've fit me better too, looking for example at my interests, music taste and thinking patterns. I'm so living in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s from time to time :lol:

EDIT: (ok, this is nostalgic, dreamy and rambling me, never mind) :shifty:

Last edited:
Great article Eliv8! We were not only lucky we survived, but lucky we were born then! :applaud:

I was born in '91

and I hate the sheltered, PC, anal, coddling world we live in nowadays.

Well I don't hate the world, :emocry:

but that certainly gets to me.

nbcrusader said:
:up: Excellent (born in '64) :up: Brings back plenty of memories!

We should be entitled to some renumeration for what we suffered :angry: :wink:

I know...esp some of the clothes our parents made us wear:yikes:**shudder**...I had a pea green pair of toddler bell bottoms:yikes: and a yellow and orange hippie shirt:scream:

my parents drove a big van and I lived back there with the two dogs:lmao: the van was all brown shag carpet:love::|

keeping your doors unlocked:yes::up:
Playing with Tonka trucks & matchbox cars:drool: no cheap plastic crap... (i was such a tomboy:lmao: )
Toys WITHOUT batteries:up:

two words....tree house:love:...built from scrap wood dad kept in the shed...not one that comes out of a box ready to assemble
:madspit:

Last edited:
Dismantled said:

I know...esp some of the clothes our parents made us wear:yikes:**shudder**...I had a pea green pair of toddler bell bottoms:yikes: and a yellow and orange hippie shirt:scream:

What about the home hair cuts:crazy: ........especially the 70's fringe cut! Mum is banned from trimming my daughter's hair,mum killed her fringe.......it took months to look good again:eyebrow:lucky my little girl was 3 at the time. :wink:

^omg:crazy: the hair..I forgot about the hair:yikes: luckly I was almost 3 when the 70's were over so I didn't have to worry too much......but the 80's:yikes:

Dismantled said:

We lived in a world of "harvest gold" and "avacado green" :barf:

Oh dear god, I remember the hair. :no: My mom thought it would be cute if I had an afro. My hair is extremely curly, so it looked pretty bad. :yikes: I've tried to eliminate all the pictures of me looking like that, but it's kinda hard when some of them are in frames at my parent's place. I think they'd notice they were missing. :shifty:

Great post!!!!!
Count me in as another survivor. I was born in the great year of 1969. I survived the 70's. I remember riding in the car all the time without seatbelts. In fact I think all the seatbelts got pushed way down into the back of the seats because we never use them. There were no seatbelt laws back then. :huh:

nbcrusader said:

:up:

Our kitchen was harvest gold. It was so awful looking back at it now.:yuck:
At the time though, we were hip and in style. :wink:

Being born in '59 I wore the bell bottoms, flares, orange (and paisly) shirts, an afro and for the 80's I had a two-tone mullet! (And I was as cool as ****). I remember up until the age of around 12 having a black and white TV with 3 channels. Never wore seat belts. Would kneel on the back seat and wave to the drivers behind. They would wave back because THEY WERNT ON THEIR DAM CELL PHONES!

And I can remeber these ...

pop_can_tab.jpg

Would I change it? After seeing The Clash, The Strangles, Talking Heads, The Ramones, Jam, Boomtown Rats & Floyd at the end of the 70s/early 80's?
Not a chance!

Last edited:
ThoraSEB said:
Oh dear god, I remember the hair. :no: My mom thought it would be cute if I had an afro. My hair is extremely curly, so it looked pretty bad. :yikes: I've tried to eliminate all the pictures of me looking like that, but it's kinda hard when some of them are in frames at my parent's place. I think they'd notice they were missing. :shifty:

I bet you where adorable:hug: I think afro's are cool

I was born in 1978. I remember the late 80's very well:crazy:

nbcrusader said:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: This is soooo true and oh so gross! My mother STILL has SHAG CARPET in parts of her house...gray in one room and avacado green in another AND....her original kitchen countertops, formica, "harvest gold" but we call it babysh*t color. :scream: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the memories!

THANK YOU for this thread Kevin, it's :up: I am sitting here now smiling remembering dozens upon dozens of things from my growing up years during simpler times! I was born in 1956 so I am a child of the 60's and 70's.

Mostly I remember never being bored, even summers....we'd be outside at first light and our parents would call us home at dark then we would go back outside many nights after supper catching fireflies in bottles, telling ghost stories, playing kick the can or hide n seek. Day times we played in trees, orchards, built forts and used our IMAGINATIONS! We played ball on dead end streets! We waited for and chased the Ice Cream Truck every day for popsicles and penny bubble gum. Man.....those were the days!

Carek1230 said:

Mostly I remember never being bored, even summers....we'd be outside at first light and our parents would call us home at dark then we would go back outside many nights after supper catching fireflies in bottles, telling ghost stories, playing kick the can or hide n seek. Day times we played in trees, orchards, built forts and used our IMAGINATIONS! We played ball on dead end streets! We waited for and chased the Ice Cream Truck every day for popsicles and penny bubble gum. Man.....those were the days!

For the record, though I grew up in the 90's I still did pretty much all of these things...I live (yes I still live in the same house I did growing up) in one of those neighborhoods that sends out weekly news fliers, and has a neighborhood watch program, and a school, and all that (hope you get where i'm going with all that) so everybody knew everyone else, and we would all go out and play stupid games at night, and have snowball fights at the park, and catch fireflys, and i'm getting really sad now because i'm leaving for college in two weeks, on the other side of the US so I'm gonna stop now

But I can relate to the being born in the wrong decade thing that was brought up earlier...my mom always says she should have grown up in the 70s (she was born in 67 so the oldest she got in the 70s was 13, so she conciders herself an 80s child) and I should have grown up in the 80s, and it's true. :giggle:

Carek1230 said:

we would go back outside many nights after supper catching fireflies in bottles
We use to do that all the time. I do that now with my children. We have so much fun running around the yard catching them. We see who catches the most, then let them all go at once.

Originally posted by Carek1230
We waited for and chased the Ice Cream Truck every day for popsicles and penny bubble gum.
My husband told me when he was a kid he and his friends would chase the mosquito trucks when they came around. :huh:

Yeah, I remember I hated it when the President spoke on t.v. He was on every channel :scream: and there was no cable or Direct TV. I remember turning the knob on the t.v. set to change channels. No remote or buttons to push.

I still love to chase fireflies:love:

3 channels on TV:drool: we had that until 3 years ago then got cable:tsk: only for the highspeed internet...we are dropping the cable though...crap:down:

Avacado green and harvest gold world:lmao: omg...I remember we had a gold fridge, my highchair was green and orange:barf::lmao:

Born in 1970, climbing trees, playing football in the garden, conkers,collecting Corona bottles for 5p each, penny chews and Fizz bombs, the excitement of finding a pound note in the road, playing Tin can alley and action man [before he got all PC], watching and playing as Starsky & Hutch. Oh just to go back for one day.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom