Tittybong, VIC, Australia superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zootlesque said:
I've always been kinda fascinated about Australia...

Perth :drool:
Sydney :drool:

:wink:

Sydney? :tsk:

Sydney's a hole. Melbourne's where it's at.

Axver said:
You haven't seen me sunburnt then! :wink:

And ... cactus?! The spiky nasty desert plants? :yikes:
I am grateful that Pennie was too worried about me to take a picture, so I'll never know how red I went, but it felt pretty bloody warm in there! :lol: I was crying...

Yes... take the spikes off, cook the leaf bits, and eat the fruit... tasssssty. Fruit tastes like a cross between honeydew melon and cucumber... only irritating thing is all those big black seeds.

Alisaura said:

I am grateful that Pennie was too worried about me to take a picture, so I'll never know how red I went, but it felt pretty bloody warm in there! :lol: I was crying...

Yes... take the spikes off, cook the leaf bits, and eat the fruit... tasssssty. Fruit tastes like a cross between honeydew melon and cucumber... only irritating thing is all those big black seeds.

:lol: My Indian neighbour once brought over some Indian food for me. I asked if it was spicy, and he assured me it was extremely mild. It proved to be the spiciest meal I'd eaten in a good few years!

And, uh, I think I'll take your word for it on the cactus! :yikes:

Axver said:
I'm still amazed by that. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I lived in Queensland with its "everything's shut by midnight!" mentality for too long.
I'm probably the other way round... I keep getting caught out when I go to my parents' place and can't go to the supermarket at 10pm. :lol:

Alisaura said:

I'm probably the other way round... I keep getting caught out when I go to my parents' place and can't go to the supermarket at 10pm. :lol:

:lol:

Hell, even Queensland was kind of a culture shock to me. In my little Kiwi hometown, things still shut on Sunday right up until when I left! It wasn't until recently that Sunday trading became the norm.

unico said:

I'll be sure to take loads of pics for you, Ax! I actually love Amtrak trains. It is my preferred mode of transportation.

:jealous: :jealous:

That's one thing I didn't get to do in the US - ride an Amtrak service. The only Amtrak train through TN runs through the very far west, via Memphis. Nothing through Nashville.

Axver said:

:jealous: :jealous:

That's one thing I didn't get to do in the US - ride an Amtrak service. The only Amtrak train through TN runs through the very far west, via Memphis. Nothing through Nashville.

ah really? they're super fun! haha and i see some interesting people on there. some talkative, some not. while living in the dc area it was how i commuted to nyc.

unico said:

ah really? they're super fun! haha and i see some interesting people on there. some talkative, some not. while living in the dc area it was how i commuted to nyc.

I rode the subway in Boston and a preserved train near Chattanooga, but that was it. I hear the northeast corridor between Boston, NYC, and DC is rather impressive as far as US railways go. Probably outdoes anything here.

Axver said:

I rode the subway in Boston and a preserved train near Chattanooga, but that was it. I hear the northeast corridor between Boston, NYC, and DC is rather impressive as far as US railways go. Probably outdoes anything here.

oh i love the ride between dc and nyc! esp when you get down to my area and you see the potomac river. gorgeous!

unico said:

oh i love the ride between dc and nyc! esp when you get down to my area and you see the potomac river. gorgeous!

Ooh, now the Potomac, that I did see, but from the air! You can't fly directly from Nashville to Boston, so on the way to Boston, I went via the awfully named Ronald Reagan Airport and flew in over the Potomac.

On a side note, it must suck to live in Perth. Here's a city with over a million people, and it seems that when international acts come over to play shows in Australia, they almost always bypass it because it's nowhere near the other major cities.

phanan said:

So what makes Sydney a hole, out of curiousity?

Everybody not from Sydney hates Sydney. It's a moral obligation. :wink:

Plus it just doesn't seem that nice and it has a disproportionate amount of wankers and urgently needs better town planning.

phanan said:
On a side note, it must suck to live in Perth. Here's a city with over a million people, and it seems that when international acts come over to play shows in Australia, they almost always bypass it because it's nowhere near the other major cities.

I understand Perth is the most isolated city of its size in the world. Possibly the most isolated city full stop. New Zealand's cities are closer to Australia's eastern cities than Perth is!

I'd really like to visit it, though. It looks beautiful. My father's in love with the place.

Axver said:

I understand Perth is the most isolated city of its size in the world. Possibly the most isolated city full stop. New Zealand's cities are closer to Australia's eastern cities than Perth is!

I'd really like to visit it, though. It looks beautiful. My father's in love with the place.

Yeah, I'm reading a bit about the city and looking at pictures, and it looks gorgeous out there. I'm surprised there isn't at least one other major city on that side of the country.

phanan said:

Yeah, I'm reading a bit about the city and looking at pictures, and it looks gorgeous out there. I'm surprised there isn't at least one other major city on that side of the country.

Outside of the southwestern corner of WA, the geography just isn't suited to a large city. If you look at places like Dampier or Port Hedland or Broome, you'll see why they aren't much bigger than they are!

And before you say "so why isn't there another major city in the southwest corner?", it's called Fremantle. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom