Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season Thread, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2636485

So, LaRussa is pretty damn sure this was illegal stuff, and didn't act on it more than "let's fix it?" Not as good an explanation than I thought.

However, the umps shouldn't base their decision on what LaRussa said. They should investigate any possible cheating to the fullest capability at the time, which should include looking at his hand.

didn't rogers pitch the last 7 innings without the "substance?" he looked pretty good.

Chizip said:

I also agree with Headache in wondering what the hell else is he on? He's yelling like a lunatic throughout the game, then crying in the interviews after the game, if he's willing to cheat with pine tar, why wouldn't he be hopped up on something else to give him an edge?
Goofballs! Rogers is hopped up on goofballs!

phanan said:
And yeah, I'd say the guy's testosterone level is a bit out of whack at the moment...

ya think?

i'm sorry... a 41 year old pitcher who's been a high 80s, low 90s pitcher his entire career doesn't all of a sudden start throwing 94-95 because he's "emotional."

why wasn't he emotional when he walked in the fucking winning run of the NLCS in '99? why wasn't he emotional when he was getting shelled with the yankees? you're saying all of a sudden, after a 15+ career, he decided to get "emotional" and it added 4 to 5 MPHs to his fastball?

please...

a guy jumps from 40 to 50 homeruns over a season and everyone wants him checked for juice... a guy adds 5 miles per hour to his fast ball in a matter of weeks after a 15+ year career, and no one says boo.

it's clear that, much like chicks, steroid witch hunters dig the long ball.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ya think?

i'm sorry... a 41 year old pitcher who's been a high 80s, low 90s pitcher his entire career doesn't all of a sudden start throwing 94-95 because he's "emotional."

why wasn't he emotional when he walked in the fucking winning run of the NLCS in '99? why wasn't he emotional when he was getting shelled with the yankees? you're saying all of a sudden, after a 15+ career, he decided to get "emotional" and it added 4 to 5 MPHs to his fastball?

please...

a guy jumps from 40 to 50 homeruns over a season and everyone wants him checked for juice... a guy adds 5 miles per hour to his fast ball in a matter of weeks after a 15+ year career, and no one says boo.

it's clear that, much like chicks, steroid witch hunters dig the long ball.

not making excuses for Rogers, because i believe there IS something fishy going on, but perhaps the radar guns are "juiced" to add more excitement for the fans.

Numb1075 said:

not making excuses for Rogers, because i believe there IS something fishy going on, but perhaps the radar guns are "juiced" to add more excitement for the fans.

The radar gun at Comerica has been 'juiced' all year. Ever since Verlander and Zoom came up, I think they have been adding 3-4 mph onto everyones fastball - chicks dig the fastball.

Dalton said:

The radar gun at Comerica has been 'juiced' all year. Ever since Verlander and Zoom came up, I think they have been adding 3-4 mph onto everyones fastball - chicks dig the fastball.

that's all fine and dandy but the same comerica park radar gun hasn't been clocking kenny rogers' fastball in the mid 90s all year. it is now.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

that's all fine and dandy but the same comerica park radar gun hasn't been clocking kenny rogers' fastball in the mid 90s all year. it is now.

That's not really true. I've seen him reach the 93-94 mark a few times this season - while at home.

It's just like seeing Nate Robertson hitting 98 on the gun. That's just not the truth.

That's why I really don't believe that Zoom is throwing 103. I think he throws 100 sometimes legit.

BTW - this is from an article on CNNSI that interviewed a bullpen coach. It talks about how many pitchers are using stuff on their balls (baseballs ya perv.)

""I bet Tony La Russa's pitchers are mad at him for saying anything, because a lot of guys do it, and I'd be surprise if there's a whole staff of guys who don't do it. In fact, I'd say a majority of guys use one of the three -- shaving cream, suntan lotion or pine tar. They can't like him ratting out the other team when everyone does it. Maybe he had to say something because it's the World Series, it's on TV and he probably has to answer to his owner.

"But you'll notice he didn't continue to talk about it, and he instructed his guys not to talk about it. They probably have no interest in catching Rogers because if they do then the umpire is looking at everyone.''

I just heard the funniest interview ever with White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper on AM 670 out of Chicago.

First he said that almost all pitchers use either pinetar, rosin, suntan lotion, or shaving cream on the ball. He said that it doesn't affect how the ball moves, but it gives the pitchers the ability to grip the ball and throw their pitches.

He wondered why hitters can use pinetar to hold onto their instrument (ha ha ha) but pitchers can't. He asked a good question, "What has MLB done in the last 30 years to help the pitchers? Nothing. Its all been for the hitters."

They asked him if it is possible that Kenny Rogers didn't know that he had 'dirt' on his hand like he claimed. "Hell no. That's like walking down the street with crap in your pants and not knowing it!"

Ha ha ha . Well done coop.

Chizip said:
If it's accepted in baseball, why don't they change the rule?

Maybe they should. Given the tacit acceptance of pitchers using pine tar, suspending a pitcher 10 games for using it seems a lot like putting a guy in prison for speeding or downloading pirated music.

Jorge Posada claims that David Wells put shaving cream on his forearms when he pitched with the Yankees. When Wells moved to the Red Sox, the Yankees could have busted Wells anytime they wanted, but chose not to.

Yeah I saw Verlander pitch in Cleveland in August and they had him consistently at 100-101. I don't think it's him. Just Rogers.

Dalton said:
I just heard the funniest interview ever with White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper on AM 670 out of Chicago.

First he said that almost all pitchers use either pinetar, rosin, suntan lotion, or shaving cream on the ball. He said that it doesn't affect how the ball moves, but it gives the pitchers the ability to grip the ball and throw their pitches.

He wondered why hitters can use pinetar to hold onto their instrument (ha ha ha) but pitchers can't. He asked a good question, "What has MLB done in the last 30 years to help the pitchers? Nothing. Its all been for the hitters."

They asked him if it is possible that Kenny Rogers didn't know that he had 'dirt' on his hand like he claimed. "Hell no. That's like walking down the street with crap in your pants and not knowing it!"

Ha ha ha . Well done coop.

Kenny Rogers will never be checked, but the entire White Sox staff will. That's how baseball works.

zumaya was hitting 103 in the playoffs....is that even humanly possible?

I remember reading an article maybe 15 years ago, and it was talking about a minor leaguer who was consistenly throwing the ball 100 mph. it turns out it was an april fools joke article.

but funny how now we have like a dozen pitchers who are hitting upper 90s and low 100s regularly.

phillyfan26 said:
Yeah I saw Verlander pitch in Cleveland in August and they had him consistently at 100-101. I don't think it's him. Just Rogers.

Rogers, Robertson, Grilli, and Rodney consistently registered higher MPHs on their fastballs at home than they did on the road.

So no, it hasn't just been rogers.

Hell even Maroth was throwing heat (on the Comerica radar gun) before he went down this year. Your mom throws harder than Mike Maroth.

phillyfan26 said:

Kenny Rogers will never be checked, but the entire White Sox staff will. That's how baseball works.

No one will be checked because just like LaRussa, no manager is going to raise a stink over this because most pitchers are doing it. Its not a big deal.

They will, however, keep calling guys out if the ball looks to have been doctored.

Brian Moehler will you please step forward...

phillyfan26 said:

Right, like that stuff obviously worked for Neal Cotts and Mark Buehrle this year. :wink:

stupid sock. :angry:

Anyway! The Series is up in the air for me at the moment.

Given the way the Tigers are hacking away so far (15 pitches through 2 innings), it looks like Chris Carpenter could pitch Game 4 as well.

Back
Top Bottom