Tickle Me Emo and call me Susan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I don't like posting threads about stuff I don't care for, but maybe there are elements in this forum that can convince me otherwise... Is Emo good? Should I waste time listening to it, or does it even exist... maybe I haven't heard purist "Emo", but from what my ears have been subjected to... I'll pass. Am I wrong?

PS- don't call me Susan. :wink:

no. all emo is bad. :|

can i call you betty? how about al? brett? can i call you brett?

Last edited:
I find that emo is very whiney and adolescent sounding.. ie Dashboard Confessional. The lyrics aren't bad, they are just very adolescent in nature - it takes me back to middle school and high school.

who is sunny day real estate and why do i hear so much about them?

emo sucks ass, its not even a legit genre.......why does everyone feel the need to make up new genres, just let them be alternative and call it a day......

:angry:

But those depressed little emo boys who come to open mic nights with out-of-tune five-string guitars and giant glasses to sing seven-minute-long epics to some girl named Ingrid...aren't they cute?

paxetaurora said:
But those depressed little emo boys who come to open mic nights with out-of-tune five-string guitars and giant glasses to sing seven-minute-long epics to some girl named Ingrid...aren't they cute?

:lol:

Well, uh, yeah, so Ingrid, uh, broke up with me. Again. I mean, that's totally...you know, I mean, she's her own person, and she's really, like, strong and independent and stuff. And I totally respect her decision and, you know, I'm sure I'll see her when I'm at work at the vegan grocery downtown, because that's where...where she always goes...::sniffsniff::...to buy her silken tofu and kohlrabi. I mean, that's where...we met...::sniffsniff::...she was so, I mean, just totally amazing, like sort of a mix between Winona Ryder and Audrey Hepburn, except with her nose pierced...and I remember when we went to that Death Cab for Cutie concert, and we sort of held hands, except not, and it was sort of like she was my girlfriend, even though that's a totally outdated and sexist term and maybe even offensive...but, I mean, she's going to go back to her ex-boyfriend, that guy Todd who's a bouncer at that club down on Walnut...and I mean, that's totally fine, she's really smart and I'm sure she's made the right decision for her, but he's just so...I mean, maybe we just see things differently, but I'm sure he's not a vegan and I don't really know how Ingrid feels about that, and I'm sure he didn't go to the Take Back the Night rally with her because I was there that night, and we shared Fresh Samanthas in her Jetta after it was over when she was driving back to the hosue that I share with six other people and a bunch of guitars...which reminds me, my housemate, Matt, borrowed by Dashboard Confessional live bootleg, which is, like, fine, because I really believe in giving to other people, except he's had it forn three weeks and I think he gave it back to his girlfriend, Anya, to take back to Swarthmore with her...but anyway, yeah, this is called "Song for Ingrid #26, Bitterly, Plaintively."

:lol: the thing is, i know people like that

the campus radio station decided to be a big part of the take back the night rally this year and they had someone set up the p.a. and spin some records. our publicity director did it. the stations emo fan. i wish i was joking.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of a lot of bands that are termed EMO.

The problem with Emo is that the genre has billions of COMPLETELY different types of groups all thrown into one. Anyone who says all Emo sucks doesnt even know who or what emo is.

EMO bands I REALLY like:

At the Drive In
Sparta
Thursday
Get Up Kids
Saves the Day
Dashboard Confessional
All American Rejects
Weezer

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

The problem with Emo is that the genre has billions of COMPLETELY different types of groups all thrown into one. Anyone who says all Emo sucks doesnt even know who or what emo is.

EMO bands I REALLY like:

At the Drive In
Sparta
Thursday
Get Up Kids
Saves the Day
Dashboard Confessional
All American Rejects
Weezer
i say it sucks because its too hard to define the genre......

i wouldn't call sparta and at the drive in emo, but that's just me. mofo, the all american rejects suck, i'm sorry.

it's like saying all country sucks. i haven't heard all country, but i've heard enough to know that i don't like it. same with rap.

IWasBored said:
i wouldn't call sparta and at the drive in emo, but that's just me. mofo, the all american rejects suck, i'm sorry.

Well thats no big deal because everyone else in the music industry calls them emo.

They ARE emo bands.

PS, why do you have to attack a band I like? How many threads of yours do I just completely stay out of because I dont like the bands?

u2popmofo said:

EMO bands I REALLY like:

At the Drive In
Sparta
Thursday
Get Up Kids
Saves the Day
Dashboard Confessional
All American Rejects
Weezer

Wait, I was listening to "The Sweater Song" back in 1994 and thought it was grunge :hmm:

ok, i didn't know that, that's all. so i revise my previous statement (which i figured i'd have to do anyway): most emo sucks.

u2popmofo said:

PS, why do you have to attack a band I like? How many threads of yours do I just completely stay out of because I dont like the bands?

:sad: i'm sorry. i really didn't mean it like that. you probably should tell me to fuck off when i start talking about a band you don't like more often. i like you, remember?

mofo, i respect your musical tastes, i'll check out some more stuff by those bands. there's a pretty good chance i'll like them, and i just haven't given them enough of a chance.

just think, i may actually have a real reason to use that foot/mouth AIM smiley afterall...

Last edited:
mofo, can you recommend me some songs? i'm serious. the get up kids alone have way too many songs for me to know where to start with :reject:

i really didn't mean to attack bands you like. i promise i'll stay out of threads when i don't have anything worhtwhile to say about the band.

MrBrau1 said:

Wait, I was listening to "The Sweater Song" back in 1994 and thought it was grunge :hmm:

:up:

I like what you guys have said so far... I agree that many bands are pigeon-holed by music critics with invisible boxes called genres. This issue came up in a thread about Punk, where I said it's a term too limiting to classify most bands. The word Emo is now being shuffled in with other alternative classes, and is often mistaken for pop punk. I made this thread to see if anyone could convince me that this mass-media term applies to any good music... not whether it is a valid term or not. Most people call all insects bugs, when in fact only a certain few are true bugs... it's more convenient to use easily referenced categories, even though I oppose their use. Quite the paradox eh?

IWasBored said:
i just don't want mofo to be angry at me.

Dont even worry about it, I'm totally not!!!!

Sorry I never replied and it looked that way!!! I was "busy" the last couple days. By busy I mean "found a new stupid way to waste time". I'll tell you about it later.

I was just trying to say pretty much what everyone else here has said. Emo is a weird genre because every band that's called Emo HATES being called that, but they still are classified Emo bands. The genre is so all over the place, it's hard to define what the crap it really is. I just go by who the press usually calls emo, but I try to not let that mean anything to me.

On another note, I HATE all the oldschool bands that people call "Real Emo". I havent heard one I've liked.

u2popmofo said:

Dont even worry about it, I'm totally not!!!!

Sorry I never replied and it looked that way!!! I was "busy" the last couple days. By busy I mean "found a new stupid way to waste time". I'll tell you about it later.

I was just trying to say pretty much what everyone else here has said. Emo is a weird genre because every band that's called Emo HATES being called that, but they still are classified Emo bands. The genre is so all over the place, it's hard to define what the crap it really is. I just go by who the press usually calls emo, but I try to not let that mean anything to me.

On another note, I HATE all the oldschool bands that people call "Real Emo". I havent heard one I've liked.

:hugesighofreleifsmiley:

trying to think of somehting intelligent to say...can't, but what's new?

new way to waste time? cool...i want to hear about it

IWasBored said:

new way to waste time? cool...i want to hear about it

Believe me, you dont. It's stupid/embarrassing that I've spent the majority if yesterday and today doing what I was doing.

u2popmofo said:

Believe me, you dont. It's stupid/embarrassing that I've spent the majority if yesterday and today doing what I was doing.

i bet it's funny then

:evil:

IWasBored said:

i bet it's funny then

:evil:

Completely.

2 other Emo bands that I REALLY like that I cant believe I forgot about:

Jimmy Eat World
Dismemberment Plan

Back
Top Bottom