Ticket Prices - a retrospective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowKite

War Child
I was packing last night and came across some old ticket stubs. I paid $13.50 + $1.50 service fee to see U2 in 1985. I paid that much for Howard Jones, Paul Young, Tears For Fears, Simple Minds through 1986. In 1986 I paid $36.00 to see the Amnesty Conspiracy of Hope tour. I recall that being a huge amount - but really worth it if you think about all the acts I got to see from row 6. Other ticket stubs range from $20.00 for INXS in 1986 to $5.00 for The Call - same year.

In 1987 I paid $16.50 for U2 - but I paid $17.50 for Duran Duran and Erasure and then $32.50 for Baryshnikov. Through 87-91 for INXS, Crowded House, Squeeze, Depeche Mode, Erasure and Simple Minds it stayed between $16.50 and $20.00.

In 1992 I paid $30.00 for U2 and then in 1997 I paid $52.50 + $6.50 for U2. In that same time frame I paid $22.50 for Natalie Merchant and REM.

Then comes 2001 and I paid $45 for U2 but I also paid $132.00 + $8.75 service fee.

So in a period of 5 years ('92 - '97) prices go up $20.00 - reasonable. Then in the next 4 years ('97 to '01) they jump $80.00 for U2.

Lets discuss.

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section to back you up.

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

Yes, U2 tikcet prices are expensive. But they put on a tremendous show, and they are my favorite band. To me, $150+ is worth it for a U2 concert. If I didn't think so, then I wouldn't be going....

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

I was checking this out too recently. I wish I had my Eighties tickets on hand (they may be a my Father's house).

At the same time - I saw Bob Mould last night (Husker Du and Sugar fame), and only paid $15. It was a great show, and I was about the same distance as from the "tip of the heart" at one of the Elevation shows.

Concert tickets in general have risen in cost dramatically in recent years, not just U2 tickets.
My stubs are at home, but the average price has steadily climbed, and at a very fast rate over the past few yrs.
The Eagles broke the $100 barrier on their "Hell freezes over" tour, and its been Katy-bar-the-door ever since.

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Back
Top Bottom