Thriller ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
guiness.jpg

Am i the only one who finds this ttoally confusing ? , they must of included pirated sales too surely. It was only at 54 million a while back but 104 million !!!.

The people of Guiness records have lost all credability in my eye's.

I'm fairly sure it is still the biggest selling album of all time, and whether that figure is true or not I'm not sure, but it cant include pirate copies simply because there's no accurate way to measure them.

Do they lose credibility because it hurts that Michael Jackson is one of the most successful solo recording artists of all time, or because they might have made a mistake?

Angela Harlem said:
I'm fairly sure it is still the biggest selling album of all time, and whether that figure is true or not I'm not sure, but it cant include pirate copies simply because there's no accurate way to measure them.

Do they lose credibility because it hurts that Michael Jackson is one of the most successful solo recording artists of all time, or because they might have made a mistake?

Why would it hurt me that michael jackson is succesful ?

It hurts me because the people who record these records have made a huge error, im quite sure too that MJ was awarded this status a while back at 54mill or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson is an American R&B, pop and rock artist whose recording career has spanned from 1963 to the present. In 1982, Jackson recorded what is reported as the best-selling album of all-time, Thriller with reported worldwide sales of over 104 million [2] from Guinness World Records. A reference to sales of over 104 million for Thriller was also made by Beyonce Knowles as she presented him with the Chopard Diamond Award at the World Music Awards on November 15, 2006. Jackson's record company Sony BMG has never given an accumulative sales figure for Jackson, but estimates vary for Jackson's top 3 albums as selling between 90 and 120 million alone. [3]. It has been estimated by various fan sites that Jackson's accumulative worldwide sales is about 300 million, while in November 2006, Jackson's publicist, Raymone K. Bain, announced that Jackson had sold over 750 million albums and singles worldwide.[4][5], although this figure has not been verified.

Jackson has been awarded numerous honors, including the World Music Awards' Best-selling pop male artist of the Millennium [6], and on 14 November 2006 Guinness Book Of Records presented Jackson with an award for The most successful Artist of all time for achieving a staggering $125 million in album/singles sales in one year - among other certificates. [7]. Jackson is often referred to as the 'King of Pop' by fans and media alike.

From 1963 to 1984, Jackson was also a member of The Jackson 5 (later called "The Jacksons"). Their accumulative worldwide sales are reported to be approximately 60 million [8]. Sometimes their sales total is added to Jackson's solo sales total because he was their lead singer from 1968 to 1984 and chief songwriter from 1978 to 1984.

Not picking here, I'm curious as to the discrepency, too, though not so much as to lose Guiness credibility (but I never gave them much to being with, lol).

Google shows the concensus between 57-60 million up to 90-104 million.
Weirdly, there is no middle range guestimates.
:hmm:

Canadiens1160 said:
One of the greatest pop records ever recorded. Sir Quincy Jones :drool:

:up:

and Rod Templeton, the unsung hero of this album.

Dare I say the best pop album of all-time?

Wikipedia aint a reliable source.

Beat it and billie jean are timeless. But 104 million is stupid.

Back
Top Bottom