This Time by INXS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Organic, pure and natural. INXS actually sound like an Australian rock band here. This is what they were intended to sound like. Not all the slickster crap they did from this point on.

I love 'This Time'... all of Listen Like Thieves as a matter of fact! I don't get why you think they sound Australian here especially. I like their later stuff as well like Kick, X, Welcome... :up:

Zootlesque said:
I love 'This Time'... all of Listen Like Thieves as a matter of fact! I don't get why you think they sound Australian here especially. I like their later stuff as well like Kick, X, Welcome... :up:

I guess the point I was trying to make with the Australian comment is that they actually sound like themselves which is an Australian rock band. I really think they started drowning in image after the 'Thives' album. There's some good songs after 'Thieves', but they never would again sound so natural to me.

i like the song, in fact i love it, but i wouldn't call it australian. off that same album, i'd go with old world new world as an aussie song. and also kiss the dirt, but that's just because now i always picture the video whenever i hear the song :drool:

i wouldn't call their later albums slickster crap. what was the last inxs album you listened to? can you honestly call full moon dirty hearts slick? that album sounds like it was recorded by a pub band after a long night of performing and drinking (which is both good and bad, depending on which song we're talking about). even welcome to wherever you are isn't 100% slick. and kick? guns in the sky is gritty. some of their songs are slick but they do have some gritty tunes.

but anyway listen like thieves is by far my favourite inxs album. anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't given this album a good listen, and probably has just played kick too many times and just played the first three tracks of listen like thieves and said "yeah yeah, now i wanna hear devil inside again!"

KhanadaRhodes said:

anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't given this album a good listen, and probably has just played kick too many times and just played the first three tracks of listen like thieves and said "yeah yeah, now i wanna hear devil inside again!"

:yes:

KhanadaRhodes said:

i wouldn't call their later albums slickster crap. what was the last inxs album you listened to? can you honestly call full moon dirty hearts slick? that album sounds like it was recorded by a pub band after a long night of performing and drinking (which is both good and bad, depending on which song we're talking about). even welcome to wherever you are isn't 100% slick. and kick? guns in the sky is gritty. some of their songs are slick but they do have some gritty tunes.

Ok, I admit I quit on INXS after the X album. That record was a nightmare to get through. I used to have this tradition of reading all the lyrics before I listened to an album. X ruined that tradition for me. The lyrics are god-awful. Since X, I just play the music. I did give Elegantly Wasted a few spins, but it was sad. I think they really wanted a piece of U2's AB decadent image. Instead it came across incredibly pretensious. Funny thing is that U2 really wanted a piece of INXS's cool loose rock star image for AB that INXS cultivated with Kick. U2 found a unique way to pull it off, though. Kick has a few good songs, but they're not really being INXS the way they were meant to be. Only Listen Like Thieves really pulls that off. This Time is a great example of that.

Layton said:

I guess the point I was trying to make with the Australian comment is that they actually sound like themselves which is an Australian rock band.

YEAH, having played many years in the pubs. They knew how to rock.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i like the song, in fact i love it, but i wouldn't call it australian. off that same album, i'd go with old world new world as an aussie song. and also kiss the dirt, but that's just because now i always picture the video whenever i hear the song :drool:

but anyway listen like thieves is by far my favourite inxs album. anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't given this album a good listen, and probably has just played kick too many times and just played the first three tracks of listen like thieves and said "yeah yeah, now i wanna hear devil inside again!"

Kiss the Dirt - One of the top 10 best Aussie rock songs of all time.

Up there with:

Good Morning - You Am I
Mystify - INXS
Beds are Burning - Oils
Telephone Booth - Ian Moss

Have any of you heard the early INXS albums, Underneath the Colours, Shaboo Shoobah and my favourite, The Swing? I think songs like "Original Sin", 'Burn for you', 'I send a message', the Aussie rock-out "Don't Change" and "The One Thing" which I always think is so damn sexy :drool: really rock over the later albums when they were sounding too American and too me, too formulaic.

Get the Swing: the track listing is never better:

Original Sin
Melting in the Sun
I Send a Message
Dancing on the Jetty
The Swing
Johnson's Aeroplane
Love Is (What I Say)
Face the Change
Burn for You
All the Voices

blueeyedgirl said:
Have any of you heard the early INXS albums, Underneath the Colours, Shaboo Shoobah and my favourite, The Swing? I think songs like "Original Sin", 'Burn for you', 'I send a message', the Aussie rock-out "Don't Change" and "The One Thing" which I always think is so damn sexy :drool: really rock over the later albums when they were sounding too American and too me, too formulaic.

Get the Swing: the track listing is never better:

Original Sin
Melting in the Sun
I Send a Message
Dancing on the Jetty
The Swing
Johnson's Aeroplane
Love Is (What I Say)
Face the Change
Burn for You
All the Voices

Excellent post. Early INXS had something special going on. It was all so natural for them back then. Unfortunately, Kick changed their entire recipe for making music for the worse.

blueeyedgirl said:
Have any of you heard the early INXS albums, Underneath the Colours, Shaboo Shoobah and my favourite, The Swing?
:yes: underneath the colours is one of my favourite inxs albums. i'd put it in my top three definitely. and the title track is just :drool:

oh man, bringing me back to high school here...

Original Sin.. WOW....

but yea. Listen like Thieves is probly their pinnacle for me... KICK was damned good and I was so lucky to be able to see that tour but I can't listen to it the way I can with LLT. This Time.. Kiss The Dirt... man.

......dogs in space anyone? :drool:

Back
Top Bottom