This Pic Is So Sad, I Just Can't Stand It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Officer David Lim holds a bowl that belonged to his K-9 dog, Sirius, during a memorial service for the 5-year-old yellow Labrador retriever at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, N.J., Wednesday, April 24, 2002. The bowl was recovered from the remains of the World Trade Center where Sirius was the only police dog to die in the disaster

capt.1019675147.attacks_police_dog_nr105.jpg

A few more...

capt.1019675051.attakcs_police_dog_nr106.jpg

1019672669.4026630216.jpg

W/his new dog

1019672659.3959529545.jpg

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 04-24-2002).]

I love dogs...those are very touching pictures.

I remember reading something about the Oklahoma City bombing. Apparently the search dogs were getting all sad and upset because they were hardly finding any survivors.
frown.gif
They actually had a few people hide themselves under rubble and then let the dogs find them, so that the dogs would cheer up. Has anyone heard that they did something similar for 9-11? I can't imagine the psychological trauma that people who escaped, or who even just saw what happened, must have suffered, and it makes you wonder what kind of effect it would have on search dogs as well. They may not understand things the way humans do, but they can understand when something terrible has happened and the people around them are distraught.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 04-24-2002).]

When I hear about things like that, cruelty to animals puzzles and saddens me even more. How can people be so cruel to beings that have such human aspects?

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

What's really sad is that the officer put the dog into his cage in an attempt to both keep him safe (and out of the way) and to better help others. But because the dog was now trapped, he couldn't escape - so the officer really was responsible for the dog's death, even though he couldn't have known this at the time.

*gives his dog an extra hug

Yes-I heard that about OKC too-don't know about NYC. And my thoughts exactly paxetaurora
frown.gif

I just read this article...
frown.gif

Police Dog Who Died at World Trade Center Honored

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (Reuters) - Bagpipes trilled and a 21-gun salute sounded as police and firefighters from as far away as San Francisco gathered on Wednesday to honor Sirius, the only police dog to die in the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center.

"We came to show our respects for a lost brother," said Deputy Matt Cummings from Kanawha County, West Virginia. The memorial ceremony was held in bright spring sunshine at Liberty State Park, just across the Hudson River from where the twin towers once stood.

Cummings and some 100 officers with K-9 dogs paused before an urn holding Sirius's ashes to salute the four-year-old yellow Labrador retriever, who lost his life in the basement of Two World Trade Center.

The remains of the dog, an explosives detector at the World Trade Center, were found on Jan. 22 and ceremoniously removed, draped in an American flag, by Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police.

Port Authority police officer David Lim, Sirius' partner, put the dog in his cage when the Sept. 11 attack began in order to focus on rescue efforts. It's a decision he said he had "grieved over but knew was for the greater good."

Lim was presented with Sirius' stainless steel bowl, found by the FBI in the evidence search at Freshkills Landfill on Staten Island and engraved with the dog's shield Number 17, 9-11-01 and "I gave my life so you may save others."

"It's something I'll cherish," Lim said tearfully.

Sirius was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross at the British Embassy in Manhattan earlier this month.

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
. Apparently the search dogs were getting all sad and upset because they were hardly finding any survivors.
frown.gif
They actually had a few people hide themselves under rubble and then let the dogs find them, so that the dogs would cheer up. Has anyone heard that they did something similar for 9-11?

I had read in People magazine that yes, they did the same thing. The dogs were getting so depressed, so they had other search dog owners go hide so the dogs would feel that they accomplished their job.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

That is a sad picture- I love yellow labradors- they are my most favourite animal....anyway this thread kind of reminds me about a documentary I saw that showed how dogs, mainly german shepherds were used by many of the Australian Army in world war two up in Papua New Guniea- the dogs were usefull for the soldiers who were 'tracking' and also those who were sent to find those who had died in the thick jungle. After seeing that doco I was made to realise that there was another side to war and how amazing our four legged friends are
smile.gif

There are still tough moments in NYC and that actually kind of makes me happy-- that they had a celebration like that for the dog. its amazing how much comfort something like that can give a person, especially after all the sadness here.

OMG, that poor dog!
What happened to him, exactly???
That is tragic, very sad pix.
frown.gif

Yeah, if there is such a thing as Heaven, he is in a much better place now, with no death or evil or suffering...
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

I remember seeing this guy on Dateline or one of those other news magazine shows right after it happened. He was still looking for his dog then. It was so sad. I cried through the entire program.

Back
Top Bottom