this new pj harvey album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allmusic & Pitchfork seemed to think it was ok. I havent really heard any songs from it, or any real hype about it in all honesty. That kinda makes me wonder.

I'm sure it's good though, it is PJ Harvey after all!

u2popmofo said:
I havent really heard any songs from it, or any real hype about it in all honesty. That kinda makes me wonder.

That's not surprising - PJ Harvey while influential and very respected, is not a lucrative artist, and therefore her record label will not spend thousands on a PR campaign when they won't recoup the costs. It's unfortunate, but that's how the game is played.

I'll buy the new record b/c PJ is phenomenal :bow:

The pitchfork review compared it to Radiohead. That means I have to have it asap.

I love the new album, :drool:. It's more stripped and minimalistic than the poppier Stories from the City... Some songs are really raw and abrasive and guaranteed to scare away everyone who loved lush melodies of Stories, which was probably what PJ intended, :) Vocally she's never been better, too. I think it's great that her label allows her to do whatever she wants.

I'm going to see her at her only concert in Australia. I bought the ticket because she has been so highly appreciated by quite a few people at this site. I'm looking forward to seeing her:hyper. Franz Ferdinand are playing that night too:hyper: I won't be able to buy her album, but luckily the radio station I listen to like her. They are promoting the concert here , so we'll hear lots about her and her music as it draws closer :hyper:
I have only heard "The Letter"...some great lyrics.
I heard another female artist who totally caught my ear because of her lyrics yesterday. Also the guitar sound they were using and I do believe I heard a banjo in the background occassionally. The announcer rabbitted on so much about Canada only producing Alanis Morrisette clones he never said what the song was. I'd like to hear more of her. I think her name was Serena Ryder?

:hyper hyper hyper:
I just found out The Disocciatives are playing at the same show as PJ Harvey. WHAT a bonus!!

Is there someplace you can hear a stream of it online? I'm not a huge fan of hers by any stretch of the imagination so I'd like an audition of sorts.

Thanks for the preview link. I wonder if it's anything like Is This Desire? because I really love that one. Not so fond of the last one. To Bring You My Love is the one I've listened to last.

I so rarely listen to To Bring You My Love that I have since been hesitant to purchase any of her other albums. :|

HeartlandGirl said:
I so rarely listen to To Bring You My Love that I have since been hesitant to purchase any of her other albums. :|

Really? Garsh! That's the album that hooked me. :)

Truly. :yes:

It could be my favorite although that will be determined by how it stands the test of time. I listened to it 3 times this morning already. :crazy: I love every song.

It's actually more like Rid of Me in its raw-ness than any of her other albums, I think. It was nothinglike Stories..., so if you hated Stories... (or even if you liked it), you'll love it!

By the way, it's called Uhh Huh Her (honestly--what an awful title), since no one has mentioned it. My favorite tracks so far are "The Letter," "Shame," and "No Child of Mine."

I agree that it's more like Rid of Me except that it has more softness and delicacy--not exactly the right words but I can't think of better ones at the moment. The songwriting is more mature and developed so in that sense it's not as raw but raw in the sense of being stripped down and simple musically, with the vocals and the lyrics being the focus.

It was worth the Best Buy price of $9.99 just for "Shame" and "The Letter" but the whole thing is stunning.

Back
Top Bottom