Third Eye Blind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone here like Third Eye Blind? I like them a lot. They have three records('Third Eye Blind' 1997, 'Blue' 1999, and 'Out Of The Vein' 2003)...I love the first two, but the most recent once isn't as good imo - they changed guitarists and not for the better - still a pretty good record, just not as good as the first two. They don't blow any minds, but they're enjoyable and catchy and good to chill to, to me anyway.

A lot of good stuff though...

Narcolepsy
Semi-Charmed Life
Jumper
Graduate
How's It Gonna Be
Burning Man
The Background
Motercycle Drive By
God Of Wine
Wounded
Ten Days Late
Never Let You Go
Deep Inside Of You
1000 Julys
An Ode To Maybe
Red Summer Sun
Slow Motion
Darkness
Faster
Blinded
Danger
My Hit And Run
Self-Righteous

I remember singing along to Semi Charmed Life all the time! :lol: Still do sometimes whenever I hear it at the gym. :reject: Kinda lost track of them after that first album.

i have some nice memories attatched to the singles from the self-titled album and some not so nice memories attatched to the blue one. anything after that i've never heard/don't care to hear. i think i technically would file all the songs i still like for nostalgic reasons under guilty pleasures, not because i'm ashamed, but because i really don't think the band is anything more than bland mainstream pop-rock garbage. still, i kind of want to listen to "how's it gonna be" now.

FINALLY someone starts a thread about these guys here. I was going to do it myself here in a while if no one else stepped up. :wink:

These guys have been what I guess would call my "favorite band" since back in the third grade in 1997. I definitely wouldn't say that they're the BEST band in the world or even the most talented band that I listen to, and they aren't exactly what one would call very productive (hell, they've almost been together for a decade now and only THREE FUCKING ALBUMS so far? Completely ridiculous), but the personal connection I have regarding them and the nostalgia associated with the first two albums secures them a special place in my stereo. I can't stand how they're constantly grouped together with Matchbox 20, Train, Three Doors Down, and other bands like that, either. Irks me to no end..

Oh, and I agree the third album wasn't up to par with the first two. They lost their guitarist shortly after the release of the second album and the new one was just missing something on Out of the Vein. Plus, most of the songs were about the lead singer Stephan Jenkins' ex-girlfriend, Charlize Theron, so it was somewhat lyrically limited in theme too, which definitely annoyed me. Not a bad album, but it was definitely missing something that the first two had.

Anyway, the first album's definitely my favorite, followed by the second and then finally the third. Kind of sad that it seems they get worse as time goes on, but I'm hoping the next album they put out at least tops the last one. From the live bootlegs I've heard of it so far it seems possible, but I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet. :wink:

I like your favorite songs list - I'd probably agree with most of those being in the top tier of their catalogue. I'd probably have to add in at least Tattoo of the Sun (b-side to Semi-Charmed Life), though. If you haven't heard any of their B-Sides/non-album songs yet, that's probably a good place to start. And if you're not really interested enough to seek out songs like that, I'd reccommend downloading at LEAST that one. It's worth it - trust me. :D

The first album was great, the second album was good, and the third album - lots of filler, but three of the best songs they've EVER recorded -

Blinded
Crystal Baller
Wake For Young Souls (!)

I used to love Third Eye Blind :drool: I met all of them at The Howard Stern Show years ago (Don't ask) I have a picture with Stephen Jenkins somewhere :hmm:

stephen jenkins always seemed like a complete jackass in interviews i read. i think there was something in rolling stone where he kept trashing eddie vedder for covering baba o'riley, and he trashed live because their security guards were being assholes at a festival. ah, lame-ass rock star gossip.

i can't say i even find them a guilty pleasure.

incredibly annoying.

i love good pop music, and maybe some of their old stuff is exactly that, but i hate them.

And I'd expect no less. I can't justify liking them other than it probably has something to do with being in middle school when Semi-Charmed Life came out... I have a hard time letting go of most things.

but that's 7ust it - their biggest tunes were all over the radio when i was that age too.

and that usually, means i like songs like that for nostalgic reasons.

but not them, for whatever reason.

Zoomerang96 said:
but that's 7ust it - their biggest tunes were all over the radio when i was that age too.

and that usually, means i like songs like that for nostalgic reasons.

but not them, for whatever reason.

Well, let's face it - your ears are far more selective than mine. My ears are pretty much whores. I mean, I get down with the Wilco and the Radiohead and the Sigur Ros, but I tend to slum it a lot too. I don't necessarily defend any of it as good, and I can usually distinguish between what most "elitist" types are going to like and what's going to get trashed... I just enjoy different things for different reasons I suppose. Oh well. I can't explain what is I like about 3EB beyond hooks and reasonably good production values, I just like them.

namkcuR said:
Semi-Charmed Life
Jumper
How's It Gonna Be

Woo, boy, do I remember hearing those songs a lot on the radio when they came out. I don't mind "Semi-Charmed Life" or "How's It Gonna Be", but I never cared much for "Jumper"...got really tired of that one in particular, for some reason.

Originally posted namkcuR
Never Let You Go
Deep Inside Of You

As for these...liked "Never Let You Go". And "Deep Inside Of You" sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I can't recall how it goes right now.

And that's about the extent of my Third Eye Blind knowledge :p. But overall, yeah, I didn't mind what I heard by 'em.

Angela

IWasBored said:
stephen jenkins always seemed like a complete jackass in interviews i read. i think there was something in rolling stone where he kept trashing eddie vedder for covering baba o'riley, and he trashed live because their security guards were being assholes at a festival. ah, lame-ass rock star gossip.

Actually, the story on that is that Eddie Vedder made some comment in concert about Third Eye Blind being a "corporate rock band" and not being worthy to cover Baba O'Riley, since they covered it at MSG a night or two before Pearl Jam did. Then Jenkins retorted with some comment about Vedder being like a "power hungry cop" or something of the sort.

But yeah, either way Jenkins doesn't have the best rock star reputation, and is known as somewhat of a dick even by his fans. Kind of like the dude from Weezer. :wink:

I liked all the songs I've heard from them.

Saw them in concert (w/ Eve 6) many many moons ago. Stephen Jenkins (I believe is the singer's name) could not sing for his life. It was pretty bad.

However, they did do I Will Follow as an encore.:wink:

XHendrix24 said:

Actually, the story on that is that Eddie Vedder made some comment in concert about Third Eye Blind being a "corporate rock band" and not being worthy to cover Baba O'Riley, since they covered it at MSG a night or two before Pearl Jam did. Then Jenkins retorted with some comment about Vedder being like a "power hungry cop" or something of the sort.

But yeah, either way Jenkins doesn't have the best rock star reputation, and is known as somewhat of a dick even by his fans. Kind of like the dude from Weezer. :wink:

ah, i see. i was just pulling random bits of crap out of my head, wondering why i remembered any version of it in the first place. hmm, i wonder if i still have the magazine where i read it. probably not.

Back
Top Bottom