Things you have to see and do in Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should take a day and drive up to Zion National Park, do some hiking, great excercise, and very beautiful. And you will pass the beautiful St. George, UT where I live!!!:wink:
And if you needed a place to stay you are always welcome!

Mr. BAW said:

Mapquest puts it at 1 hr. 47 minutes/ 119 miles from Vegas to St. George, Utah :hmm:

It's a lovely drive through the desert. Make sure to have In God's Country ready to play through the Virgin River Gorge. Then, when you emerge from the Gorge, there's St. George! Hang a right at the sign, drive a few more minutes and Zion will be right there. :yes:

martha said:

It's a lovely drive through the desert. Make sure to have In God's Country ready to play through the Virgin River Gorge. Then, when you emerge from the Gorge, there's St. George! Hang a right at the sign, drive a few more minutes and Zion will be right there. :yes:

Zion is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, especially right after a rain storm :drool:

I wonder if my sister remembers the time when we were visiting Zion as teenagers and I stuck my camera over the stall door in the restroom and took a candid shot of her. :hmm: :reject:

Bono's American Wife said:

I wonder if my sister remembers the time when we were visiting Zion as teenagers and I stuck my camera over the stall door in the restroom and took a candid shot of her. :hmm: :reject:

hahahaha Char, my sister and I do stuff like that to one another! :wink:

The Bellagio Fountains! I always preferred to stand down by the road near the middle of water to see it. I thought that was the best place. Bellagio was always my favorite place to escape "normal" Vegas (as in my apartment when I lived there lol).

martha said:

That just might be something awe-inspiring to do on Sunday. Thanks, guys! :up:

martha said:

Well damn. Smooch him for me and then I can do it in person some other time that weekend.

After my cross-country flight, I'll be ready to post-concert party in Vegas (Friday night)! :hyper:

...If you've never seen the Blue Man Group at the Luxor...check it out, awesome performance!
Tickets are not cheap though.

For a free show.....
Check out the Bellagio water show..playing to the music of Andrea Bocelli (Con te Partiro)....just beautiful. A friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend, while this song was playing in the background.

bonosgirl84 said:

so funny. we have an elvis impersonator who is a patron at the library where i work. it's awesome.

whoa! It's been a while since I posted, but I remember that you live in Vegas (or is it Henderson...., of course!)?
Which library? I used to work at Rainbow branch (like a zillion years ago).

The Bellagio fountains are cool at night from atop the Eifel Tower. Also at Bellagio is the Botanical Gardens (free to walk through) which changes with the seasons.

I don't think I'd drive to the Grand Canyon but I did do the helecopter ride to the south rim and then did a raft ride....The Hoover Dam (damn dam) tour is ok - I did it once and was a little bored...until we went to a chocolate factory for free samples :D

Mandelay Bay, Luxor and NYNY are all connected via walkway and can keep you entertained for hours.

Good shows I've seen were Ka, Mystere, Momma Mia and O. If you want to go clubbing, there are cheap VIP passes everywhere (people on Ebay have good prices for those - you can get them for like $5 each) for clubs like Ghost Bar (Palms) Ice Bar, Voodoo Lounge (Rio) and Tangerine (TI)

Best buffet I had was at Aladdin, also Mirage and Mandelay Bay have good buffets

Pretty much what Carek said......:up:

Carek1230 said:
Great ideas and tips, bg, it's nice to hear from those who live nearby the area. And Mr BAW! :up: I did not know about the Bono places! Will have to check them out. I've been gathering some info:

Venetian Hotel: Grand Canal Shoppes, Gondola rides ($15, $60 private ride, 01am-11pm), Guggenheim Hermitage museum ($20 9:30am-8:30pm), Madame Tussauds wax museum ($23 10am-10pm)

Treasure Island Hotel-Buccaneer Bay Show -Free (features pyrotechnic clash between ships & pirates, nightly every 90 mins limited due to weather in winter)

The Sirens of Ti-Free (nightly 6pm,8pm,10pm in Siren's Cove at front entrance)

Imperial Palace: Auto Collection -over 350 vehicles ($7, daily 9:30am-9:30pm)

Flamingo Hilton: wildlife habitat

Paris Hotel: Le Boulevard shops, Eiffel Tower ($9 10am-1am weather permitting-great view of the Bellagio fountain show from the Eiffel Tower restaurant 11th floor)

Aladdin Hotel- Desert Passage shopping mall-150 shops

MGM Grand-Lion habitat (free 11am-10pm), CBS TV City Research Center (free)
Treasure Island Hotel- Sirens of TI (free show)

Mirage- Volcano show (Free every 30 mins starting at 8pm-midnight), white tiger habitat (Free 9am-2:30am), Secret Garden & Dolphin habitat ($15/both, 11am-5:30pm)

Ceasars Palace-Forum shops (free Atlantis fountain show, talking statues every hour on the hour 10am-midnight)

Rio-Masquerade Village (Parade participation $10 incl costume/float -shows at 3pm,4pm,5pm,6:30pm,7:30pm,8:30pm,9:30pm daily)

Bellagio-Conservatory (free), The Fountains (Free 3pm-midnight every 1/2 hr till 8pm then every 15mins till midnight)

Boardwalk Hotel-Festive Coney Island decor & festivities

Monte Carlo Hotel- the Street of Dreams shops

New York New York - Manhattan Express Roller Coaster ($12.50 11am-11pm ride is 67mph, 2mins 45 sec, serves more than 1,000 people per hour on three 16 passenger tains)

Orleans-Canal Street fun in the spirit of New Orleans

Excalibur-Fantasy Faire Midway (game center for the kid in all of us), Tournament of Kings dinner/show ($55 6pm & 8:30 nightly)

Luxor-Imax theatre ($10 9am-11pm)

Mandalay Bay- Red Square Ice bar, Shark reef ($16, 10am-11pm)

Fremont Street Experience - Free Light shows nightly (7story parking garage $1 1.2 hr-get parking validated for up to 3hrs)
7:30,9,10,11,midnight, Neon Museum, Promenade shops

Flyaway Indoor Skydiving -200 Convention Center Dr 702/731-4768 10am-6pm , classes every 1/2 hr, $60 1st flight, $35 repeat flight)

M&M World- Free (located at 3785 S. Las Vegas Bl, near corner of Strip&Tropicana, next to MGM 4 floors!)

Ethyl M Chocolate Factory & Botanical Cactus Gardens Free (8:30am-7pm daily, 3 acres of cactus garden)

Transportation: Trams

Mirage-Treasure Island Tram: 9am-midnight

Las Vegas Monorail: MGM - Sahara with stops at MGM, Bally's/Paris, Harrah's/Imperial Palace, Convention Center, Hilton & Sahara)

Bellagio Monte Carlo tram-24 hrs every 10 mins

Mandalay Bay-Excalibur Tram- 24hrs

Thanks for the list (I like lists :) ).

http://www.lvmonorail.com/ride_05_attractions.html
^ a link to the monorail website that says which monorail stations take you to the different attractions

Last edited:
You're welcome! I wanted to take something like this with me so when we're cruising the strip we'll have some kind of a list of stuff to see......now I'm thinking about driving out to Zion Sunday since we're staying till Monday.

enggirl said:

whoa! It's been a while since I posted, but I remember that you live in Vegas (or is it Henderson...., of course!)?
Which library? I used to work at Rainbow branch (like a zillion years ago).

hahaha dude, no way. you worked at rainbow? RNB? lol, that's so cool.

i worked with a guy once who was from rainbow, i wonder if you knew him.

i'm really not going to say which branch i'm at, for obvious reasons like it's the internet and that would make it terribly easy for anyone to find and kill me, but yes, i've been with the district for five years now.

why did you leave?

If you're looking for outdoors stuff, Hoover Dam is a *great* day trip. Hiking around Red Rock Canyon can kill a few hours as well. I don't know what your schedule looks like, but I had a blast renting ATV's and taking a ride through the desert (Valley of Fire, specifically). Zion and Grand Canyon are also wonderful full-day excursions.

For Vegas "show" stuff, I would recommend Blue Man Group, but they are no longer at Luxor -- they have moved to a new show in the Venetian. I have not seen them, but there are several different Cirque De Soleil shows that get rated very highly.

Forgot to mention -- The light show are Fremont Street downtown is okay. There's like a 5-10 minute display every hour. In addition to the roller coaster at New York New York, there is two rides on the roof of the Stratosphere (weather dependent).

The buffett at Rio is *VERY* good! There is also a nice restaurant at the top of the Stratosphere that rotates.

:up: On behalf of all of us coming from out of the Vegas area, thanks soooo much for the tips and info on where to stay, eat, what do do etc....we really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom