Things Americans don't get about us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Well, we've had Zootle's thread about things they don't get about American culture so (to even things up a bit) here's the Americans' chance to rant on about the things THEY don't get about the rest of the world (yeah, I know it's a big place but you get more to rant on about that way, which is always a good thing, right? :wink: )

I know but I felt guilty about ranting on about USA and they all just sat there for the most part and took it.

Why does UK English consistently come up with better new slang words than we come up with using our American English?

I mean, I've got nothing against the vast majority of US slang, but I always feel like our better halves across the pond have got a better handle on these matters. Why, pray tell, might this be?

i don't get why baseball is compared to cricket (maybe I'm ranting about both sides of the ocean here) from what I've seen of the game, they're nothing alike...at all

I'm preparing myself for all the anti-cricket / anti-rest-of-world-spelling comments. :drool:

If you shout... said:
Why does UK English consistently come up with better new slang words than we come up with using our American English?

I mean, I've got nothing against the vast majority of US slang, but I always feel like our better halves across the pond have got a better handle on these matters. Why, pray tell, might this be?

I think it sounds alot better with an english accent, I heard this kid here in California say " bloody wanker", and it just doesnt sound right.

http://www.coolcanuckaward.ca/joe_canadian.htm

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
And I am Canadian!!!

Hugely popular Beer Ad from about 8 years ago.:wink:

bono_212 said:
I wasn't saying I don't like cricket, i just don't get the comparison

I wasn't referring to you, I actually didn't even see that you'd posted something about cricket. From experience, a lot of Americans who've never even watched a full match of cricket are quick to put it down.

As for your comment, well, they've both got bats and balls...:wink: I don't know, I suppose they are unfairly compared at times. If you REALLY want to compare an American sport with a Commonwealth sport, you'd probably have to go with baseball and rounders.

I think rounders is absolutely stupid, by the way.

ok so I guess the bat and ball :D

but aside from that

You can't score 90-odd runs in Baseball :D

I find myself more puzzled about America than the rest of the world these days, and I'm an American...heh.

Melon

bono_212 said:
You can't score 90-odd runs in Baseball :D

Unless Coco is on the hill in the ninth trying to close the door.

Otsuka is closing now :drool:

[/baseballtalk}

vivalapopedge said:
I don't understand why the rest of the world gets such awesome accents :drool:

I'm jealous :combust:

Oh, the US has tons of accents. New York probably has a dozen alone, depending on which borough you grew up in. Boston, the South, Texas, California, Minnesota, etc.

You just used to your own accents and they lose their "appeal" :wink:

^That's my problem with Americans, why they think there is such a thing as a 'British accent'...you either have one of many English accents, one of many Scottish or Welsh accents...

Plus not all Irish people speak like they are from Dublin:wink:

(not saying all Americans think like this, just i've met quite a few who have)

Oh I would also like to say cricket is not a real sport:madspit:

Last edited:
LJT said:
^That's my problem with Americans, why they think there is such a thing as a 'British accent'...you either have one of many English accents, one of many Scottish or Welsh accents...

I can distinguish between a lot of them, but lump them together as being far sexier than any "american accent" :combust:

I add myself to the list of those not understanding the sustained entertainment of cricket.

military time=too much math for my delicate mind

hmm haven't got any other issues/questions other than why do you hate us?! :( :sad: :angry:

course that's a given :wink:

LJT said:

Where I grew (Gloucestershire) up you could go to a village/town 15-20 miles away and people would have a noticeably different accent.

Eliv8 said:

Where I grew (Gloucestershire) up you could go to a village/town 15-20 miles away and people would have a noticeably different accent.

It's not so much different here(Michigan).

We are a northern state, but you can go to small towns all over the state, north or south, and some people will have a pretty strong(what we would call) southern accent.

I know I know...WE have the accent, not you people from the south. :wink:

VertigoGal said:
hmm haven't got any other issues/questions other than why do you hate us?! :( :sad: :angry:

course that's a given :wink:

I generally stand up for Americans... All the sweeping generalisations that Europeans of all kinds have and all genealisations bug the hell out of me...I ended up having an argument with my business studies classmates last year over some discussion bringing up that 'all Americans are stupid'...Interference is plenty proof that all Americans are stupid is far from any reality.

I like to point out it was an English girl who said 'Is Berlin a country?' to me:wink: not that i'm tryin to say the English are stupid;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom