there haven't been enough wilco threads lately.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:
I was just listening to Wilco last night. Poor Places is friggin brilliant.

Yup. I don't think there's a single bad song on YHF.

Well the new record is supposed to come out in January, but Tweeds has announced a small solo tour in January:

01-16 Memphis, TN - Germantown Performing Arts Center
01-17 Nashville, TN - James K. Polk Theater
01-19 Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
01-20 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater
01-21 Marfa, TX - Liberty Hall
01-23 Austin, TX - Hogg Auditorium at University of Texas
01-24 Austin, TX - Hogg Auditorium at University of Texas
01-26 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
01-27 Birmingham, AL - Alabama Theatre
01-29 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
01-30 Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre
01-31 Charlottesville, VA - Paramount Theater

If you're close to any of those, GO! Fortunately for me, Austin is the only city that gets two nights. Also fortunate for me is the fact that the Hogg Auditorium is on campus and literally a five minute walk from my apartment, door to door.

I just bought tickets for both nights at the box office :drool:

:drool:

has anyone heard the solo tweedy show thats floating around?the quality is awesome, just like the show itself :love:

Tweedy is supposed to be in Memphis in three weeks, and this is the first I've heard of it. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Sunken Treasures DVD, but there's been a wait for it on Netflix ever since it came out. I've been in to Wilco for five or six years and finally got a chance to see them this summer. They were amazing :drool: They played three or four new songs that were all great, so I think their next album may top even YHF, which is in my top 5 favorite albums.

inmyplace13 said:
Well the new record is supposed to come out in January, but Tweeds has announced a small solo tour in January:

01-16 Memphis, TN - Germantown Performing Arts Center
01-17 Nashville, TN - James K. Polk Theater
01-19 Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
01-20 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater
01-21 Marfa, TX - Liberty Hall
01-23 Austin, TX - Hogg Auditorium at University of Texas
01-24 Austin, TX - Hogg Auditorium at University of Texas
01-26 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
01-27 Birmingham, AL - Alabama Theatre
01-29 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
01-30 Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre
01-31 Charlottesville, VA - Paramount Theater

If you're close to any of those, GO! Fortunately for me, Austin is the only city that gets two nights. Also fortunate for me is the fact that the Hogg Auditorium is on campus and literally a five minute walk from my apartment, door to door.

I just bought tickets for both nights at the box office :drool:

I don't know how I missed this! I just got tickets to the 1/21 Marfa show...the venue holds 200 people, and I need to be in Marfa for work that weekend. I can't believe it. You should drive up from Austin! There are still tickets left for the Marfa show.

:combust:

joyfulgirl said:

I don't know how I missed this! I just got tickets to the 1/21 Marfa show...the venue holds 200 people, and I need to be in Marfa for work that weekend. I can't believe it. You should drive up from Austin! There are still tickets left for the Marfa show.

:combust:
Marfa, TX? What a random place for him to play...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Marfa, TX? What a random place for him to play...

Marfa has this new gallery called Ballroom Marfa that is owned by some very well-connected and hip people from either Houston or Austin, I forget which, and have been bringing great, mostly indie, music to Marfa. People like Jenny Lewis, Joanna Newsom, Spoon. And Marfa's been in the New York Times so many times during the last year that it's become quite the destination.

joyfulgirl said:

Marfa has this new gallery called Ballroom Marfa that is owned by some very well-connected and hip people from either Houston or Austin, I forget which, and have been bringing great, mostly indie, music to Marfa. People like Jenny Lewis, Joanna Newsom, Spoon. And Marfa's been in the New York Times so many times during the last year that it's become quite the destination.

I've been meaning to see the Marfa lights for years, maybe I'll plan it around a show sometime...

joyfulgirl said:

You should drive up from Austin! There are still tickets left for the Marfa show.

I would consider roadtripping it if it weren't midweek. Marfa is a sizable drive (I'd guess over 400 miles) from Austin.

inmyplace13 said:

I would consider roadtripping it if it weren't midweek. Marfa is a sizable drive (I'd guess over 400 miles) from Austin.

The Marfa show is on a Sunday...but I heard it sold out right after I got my tickets.

joyfulgirl said:

The Marfa show is on a Sunday...but I heard it sold out right after I got my tickets.

Which means I'd be driving back either late Sunday night or early Monday morning, which conflicts with my Monday classes.

As it turns out, I'm only going to one of the Austin shows. A friend of mine I often see shows with was supposed to go buy two tickets for the first show the day that I bought them for the second, but I don't think she came through on her part of the deal. Ho well.

It turns out Explosions In The Sky is doing a CD release show in that very same theatre for ten dollars. I'll definitely be trying to score tickets for that.

I've got a rip of the Sunken Treasure DVD on my iTunes and I really enjoy it. Is the DVD worth getting even when money is tight? I'm thinking it'd be a nice addition.

But maybe I should wait until two weeks from now so I could see the DVD only after I've already seen Tweeds.

i wonder if wilco are shitting their pants now, considering the awesomeness of neon bible :hmm:

Doubtful. 'Let's Not Get Carried Away' has the potential to be better than any of the Neon Bible songs. I'm still more excited about Sky Blue Sky.

Oh, and just for good measure so this doesn't fester away in the other, dead thread:

tweedy5lf.jpg

:drool: What a night.

Ok. So here's the story. After hearing so much unconditional praise for this band and their landmark Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, an album I've somehow managed to completely avoid for 5 years, I decided to finally just dig in. I purchased it earlier today through the itunes music store and listened immediately.

My first listen left me impressed, but not overwhelmed. I was like "Ok, this is a good album, I like what I'm hearing. There isn't a single song on here I disliked, but it's not the best thing I've ever heard."

I just got finished my second listen. A real listen, with no distractions and a dark room. I still don't yet think it's the best thing ever...but it's damn close. Every single song impressed the hell out of me, and it's easily the most cohesive album I've heard since Kid A. This album's game is obviously Subtlety. There is so much beauty hidden in these tracks, there's no way I'll be able to discover it all in, I'm going to say even 10 listens. That said, I see the potential in this album to grow beyond my wildest expectations. I have a keen enough musical ear to know a "grower" when I hear one, and I can tell this is. That might sound strange, but I think patience will truely pay off. This album is so obviously deep, it's going to be a real challenge and pleasure digging in to this one.

Overall, it's nice to not get instant gratification from an album for a change. I honestly haven't been this intrigued by a single album since Kid A. I'm glad I finally decided to check this out. I can't friggen wait to explore the rest of Wilco's catalogue now...and I'm already excited about the new album due in May...and the subsequent tour.

Consider me converted. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom