there haven't been enough wilco threads lately.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
where are your seats zoney? we (i'm going with my best friend and lifelong concert buddy :wink: ) ended up with balcony seats because that's what was available at 10:01 am.

I've been listening to Sky Blue Sky a lot the last few days. It really is sublime.

I can't imagine it won't be in my top 5 at the end of the year. I am hoping another album comes out and rocks my world a bit more. You know, the kind of "wow. did I just hear that" type of album.

If I've managed to hold out this long, I'm pretty sure I'll make it a few more weeks until Sky Blue Sky's official release.

I don't feel I'm wasting time by waiting for the release. I have plenty of other music to keep me entertained. I've only heard "What Light." I like it, don't love it. Really looking forward to the many May releases!

the chelsea walls soundtrack, bitches.

when the roses bloom again is infinitely wonderful.

What is up with all the hatred of SBS from the fanbase? :huh: I went on viachicago and it seems like the fanbase is split between "amazing :drool: " and "Lame, weak, boring, etc..."

I don't get it. What's not to love? :combust:

I'm waiting for the release but haven't been wowed by what little I've heard yet. I've never not been wowed by Wilco before so I'm a bit worried. :uhoh: But the last two were pretty hard to beat.

My favorite description of this record so far is "complex, but not complicated". It's a very straightforward record compared to previous efforts, but that's not detrimental to its overall quality. The songwriting is superb throughout, and that's the key to its greatness. There are no strange tape loops or wankerific noise solos anymore, and that appears to have scared the fanbase silly. :rolleyes: The guitar playing from Nels is shockingly good, the best (technically) I've ever heard on a Wilco record.

Ultimately, this is probably one of the most challenging things they've ever done, simply because it defies expectations so often throughout. I figured they would fall back into their usual weirdness-laced-with-alt-country formula, but they never did. Scary stuff right there. :wink:

Well that's encouraging. I love their "beautiful noise" but I can appreciate the band's desire to move beyond it on this record. In fact, isn't that why we love Wilco? Because they just keep growing and not sticking to formula or expectations?

Nels. :drool:

Better guitar than on "A Ghost is Born"?? :ohmy:

I think you nailed it there Melon, this album reminds me so much of a late-era beatles album that just focuses on extremely tight musicianship and incredible songwriting.

^agreed!

Are you guys going to buy the normal or deluxe version? do you think the extra dvd is worth the price?

Deluxe all the way, but that's an easy choice for this rabid Wilco fanatic.

This video is teh sex.

ok, i won't be making any friends here.
i can't stand his voice. sounds like a cross between willie nelson and bob dylan and it sounds really out of tune to me. listened to the video and all the samples on amazon. it's not working for me at all. i think i'd rather dust off my allman brothers, lynyrd skynyrd or even my tom petty when i get a hankerin' for a little southern fried rock. and of course zz just rocks period.
maybe this is an acquired taste like okra.

hmm that's interesting, surprisingly tweedy for me has always been a voice of ease, it's melodic, sweet and simple. i've never found him to be an acquired taste as dylan, springsteen and waits have otherwise been for me.

Just some little ruminations on my part, but...

Why was there even the slightest hesitation to release Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in the first place? If it was because of the quality of the record, it's pretty clear the record executives were wrong. If the question was the marketability of the album, I have to ask:

Were Kamera and Heavy Metal Drummer on the original version of album? :huh: It really hit me tonight how sweet and fun these songs are. They're totally marketable and catchy. I'm The Man Who Loves You (with the noodling removed) could also have been a big hit.

This is actually a really great record, and it took me a while to pick up on that. I still think it's overrated by Pitchfork and members of the indietastic music listening world, but that doesn't mean it's not great.

So, fellow Wilco nuts, can someone help me out with this dilemma I'm having?

I have the following Wilco albums:

Summerteeth (B+)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (A-)
Sky Blue Sky (A-)

Which album should I get next, Being There or A Ghost Is Born? :huh: I have no idea which one I would like better, and they both seem to get good reviews...:sad:

Thanks, U2Man. Downloading it now!

LemonMelon said:
So, fellow Wilco nuts, can someone help me out with this dilemma I'm having?

I have the following Wilco albums:

Summerteeth (B+)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (A-)
Sky Blue Sky (A-)

Which album should I get next, Being There or A Ghost Is Born? :huh: I have no idea which one I would like better, and they both seem to get good reviews...:sad:

As much as I like Being There, I would strongly recommend A Ghost Is Born. It has some of Wilco's strongest songs: At Least That's What You Said, Hell is Chrome, Spiders :drool: , Wishful Thinking, Theologians........ IMO, it is as good as YHF.

Back
Top Bottom