"The young Canucks...are like watching a rock show..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The Canucks have overtaken the Leafs for viewership in English speaking Canada...

Canucks winning over fans with offensive play

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20031203_192812_3856

roberts_gary_canucks240.jpg

Sorry, Gary, you can't hold down the Canucks any longer. (CP)

Tired of debating which NHL team is Canada's team? This won't help: Both the Canucks and Leafs sit at 33 points. Canucks lead the NHL in goal scoring (81) but the Leafs beat them twice just last week. You make the call.

BURNABY, B.C. (CP) -- If you use TV numbers as a measure, the title of Canada's team has moved from the centre of the universe to the West Coast.

The Vancouver Canucks are drawing more viewers to their NHL games on English TV than the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Goodbye Yonge and Bloor, Canada's new hockey crossroads is now Robson and Thurlow.

"That's pretty big," veteran forward Trevor Linden said Wednesday after the Canucks skated at their Burnaby, B.C., practice rink.

"When you talk about TV numbers, when you outdraw the Leafs, that's pretty substantial."

The Canucks are averaging 330,000 viewers for their games on Rogers Sportsnet, a 40-per-cent increase from last year.

The Leafs average 326,000 viewers on Sportsnet, a drop of 27 per cent.

The Montreal Canadiens have the best TV numbers, with an average 375,000 viewers watching their games, but those numbers are down 12 per cent from last year.

So, can the Canucks lay claim to the title of Canada's team?

"I don't know about that but I think we're getting there," said Canucks captain Markus Naslund.

"The media focus on the Leafs and Habs is probably bigger. I think we are appreciated a lot in Canada."

Todd Bertuzzi, the hulking right-winger who grew up in Sudbury, Ont., said you don't have to be a genius to figure out why people would rather watch Vancouver than Toronto.

The young Canucks, with their wide-open offensive style, are like watching a rock show. The aging Leafs, with their plodding defensive game, are a night at the symphony.

"Ask around hockey fans, go to bars and pubs and ask who is the most entertaining team," said Bertuzzi.

"You'll get your answer. They love the fact our coach rarely puts reins on us and lets us be creative. That's exciting to watch and that's why it's fun to play in a system like that."

Bertuzzi balked at the suggestion the Canucks can be called Canada's team.

Montreal, who in 1993 became the last Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup, own that honour, he said.

"Until somebody else takes the Stanley Cup, then it's Montreal," said Bertuzzi.

"You have to fight for your respect and respect is what you win. Until you win something you can't claim anything."

Heading into Tuesday night the Canucks were first in the Western Conference with a 14-6-3-2 record for 33 points and led the NHL in goal scoring with 81.

The Leafs, who are riding a six-game win streak, were second in the East with a 13-6-5-2 record for 33 points and have scored 68 goals.

Toronto beat Vancouver in both games the teams played this year.

While the Canucks have beat the Leafs in mid-week TV ratings, Toronto remains king in merchandise sales. The Leafs are first overall in the entire NHL in merchandise sales in North America although both Montreal and Vancouver rate in the top six.

In other television markets, the Edmonton Oilers are averaging 88,000 viewers a game on Sportsnet, a decrease of 16 per cent.

The Calgary Flames are enjoying a 15-per-cent increase to 100,000 fans a game while the Ottawa Senators have dropped 15 per cent to 58,000.

The CBC doesn't keep track of which teams are the biggest draw.

The Hockey Night in Canada doubleheader averages about 1.3 million viewers for its early game and 829,000 for the night cap.

The recent matchup between the Canucks and Leafs attracted 1.4 million viewers. That match came on the heels of the outdoor game in Edmonton which drew an audience of 2.74 million.

Linden said playing on the West Coast will always limit the Canucks national appeal.

"When our home games are on (TV), half of Canada is sleeping," he chuckled.

Besides their style of play, the Canucks have also raised their provincial image by holding training camps in places like Vernon and Kamloops.

"The little towns we go to are so supportive," said Linden.

"It really includes them. I think this is B.C.'s team."

Last edited:
Here's the thing. Nobody in canada gives two shits about the leafs. They are a media built craze. I can't stand them. the Canucks are cool but does anyone out east really care? I would have to think that Montreal would still be Canada's team. They like the Leafs outdraw teams like Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary,when playing in those cities. I don't know. If I have to choose between the Leafs and the Canucks it's the Canucks any day of the week. The Leafs are the lamest pro sports franchise going. they give off this New York Yankee arrogance but without half the class and without the championships. Oh man. Don't get me started on the Leafs. LOL.

I agree with you and Todd Bertuzzi. The Canadiens are Canada's team, because they're the last Canadian team to win the Cup. The Leafs haven't won since 1967, and haven't even been to the finals since then. Even the Canucks have been to the finals twice since then. My vote goes to Montreal. As for who the best team in Canada is, that's a different question, and right now it is Vancouver or Ottawa (even though Ottawa has had a rough start).

hee hee hee :wink:

See, I figured people on this site would relate to the whole "rock show" concept. :shifty:

I particularily liked the line, "The aging Leafs, with their plodding defensive game, are a night at the symphony."

Last edited:
Yeah, hi. Live in Montreal. The Canadiens suck. They are terrible. If they are Canada's team, then take me out of Canada.

The Canucks are the hottest thing on ice as far as I am concerned. I'd go to see them play over a rock show anyday and that's saying alot.

why does there even have to be a "canada's team"?

why can there just be vancouvers team, montreals team, ottawas team, etc...

kind of seems weird to me that a whole country would have one team when there are many teams in that country.

Chizip said:
why does there even have to be a "canada's team"?

why can there just be vancouvers team, montreals team, ottawas team, etc...

kind of seems weird to me that a whole country would have one team when there are many teams in that country.
That's just it, though, Chiz - there aren't many teams in the country. For the geographical size of the country, we barely have any teams. Why you ask?... several reasons.... the most recent being the fact the US has stolen two of our franchises (Quebec and Winnipeg)... but it's also 'cause of the much larger markets down in the US (not necessarily in terms of fans, but in terms of business). Of course this is a simplification, and it goes further. The end result though is a league which started out very small overall (6 teams) which still remains very small in Canada. The majority of Canada has lived in the Ontario and Quebec regions since the country's birth, and thus the majority cheer for those teams. Not until expansion did we have the Oilers, Canucks, Jets and so on. The historical glue is still very sticky, and ex-Torontonians and Montrealers (or the fans of those teams) pride themselves with tradition. This is why - as well as the cultural significance of the sport (hockey vs. baseball, for ex) - a title such as "Canada's Team" would be much more prevalent than in the US, where there isn't such a historical and present day focal point in terms of the NHL.

My two cents, anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe Leafs viewership is down because of heinous acts like these:

I miss the old days, when hockey was something the whole family could watch together, without having to have awkward conversations with the children. :mad:

:sexywink:

:ohmy: Avsgirl41....... you're funny :laugh:

:rolleyes: Shoot me now but I agree with Chizip. Why must there be a Canada's team? Get over the past I say already Canada. I live in a friggin province where "je me souviens" is the license plate logo. GET OVER IT ALREADY! :scream: Anyway, if Canada had to have a team, my vote goes for the Canucks.

AvsGirl41 said:
Maybe Leafs viewership is down because of heinous acts like these:

I miss the old days, when hockey was something the whole family could watch together, without having to have awkward conversations with the children. :mad:

:sexywink:
Yes, me too. Leave it to the dirty Leafs to destroy a once wholesome affair with their sadistic and twisted methods of self gratification.

Hallucination said:
I don't know. If I have to choose between the Leafs and the Canucks it's the Canucks any day of the week. The Leafs are the lamest pro sports franchise going. they give off this New York Yankee arrogance but without half the class and without the championships. Oh man. Don't get me started on the Leafs. LOL.

I didn't even have to look at your location to know you were from Alberta.

Je me souviens... something contradictory to what Angel was trying to tell chizip. That's what it is.

fah said:
je me souviens = i remember: it is most commonly found on quebec license plates.

It is a sort of subversive statement actually, that is derived from the famous "Je me souviens que ne sous le lis je fleuris sous la rose" line. (That means: I remember that born under the Lily, I have prospered under the rose). It became symbolic for Francophone life under Anglophone rule.

ive always heard this argument. but what it is about toronto that makes the maple leafs arrogant?
they were a great franchise, between the 70s and early 90s they were saddled with poor ownership.
since the 90s im quite certain they would prove to be the most successful canadian franchise by far (i know, no cup appearances but most wins, playoff series wins and whatnot) and probably top 5 in the league. they are also obviously one of the bigger spenders but since as of today they are the second best team in the league, im sure they and their fans can deal with it.

so they spend a lot of money-a la yankees. they also take in lots of money. only franchise to make money supposedly. i guess it all relates to the ignorance some canadians show toward toronto in accusing the city of being generally arrogant.

but up until about two weeks ago the canucks were definitely playing a better game so if you were indifferent to teams, go for the canucks. of course since then...things have changed.

none of this is to say the leafs are going to win the cup. theyve just been playing well.

Last edited:
Which argument are you referring to, kobayashi? The news article is simply about the viewership increases in Canucks games vs. Leaf games, so you must be reacting to someone's post?

As for the Leafs' current streak, it's great that they're playing so well, but once again 8 games does not a season make. It looks like they have pulled out of their funk, and hopefully they can keep it up. I still believe Ottawa will finish higher they they do when all is said and done, however... and I'd be very shocked (and disappointed in them) if the Canucks didn't as well.

i guess i am referring to the more common argument re leafs and their arrogance...as portrayed by Hallucination.

people 'out east' enjoy good hockey. so they enjoy the canucks, the maple leafs, occassionally the sens and anyone else worthwhile.

you wont find anyone near toronto too excited about the leafs surge.

as for end of season rankings...id say its wide open. certainly all canadian teams have had their strengths and weaknesses. relative to expectations, the sens will be the biggest disappointment. in their present composition, there is something missing. they may still be successful but the way they are going they open the playoffs on the road.

Last edited:
It surprises me that you say you won't find anyone near Toronto too excited about the Leafs surge, because TSN's commentators keep making remarks and jokes about the bandwagon getting too full, etc. Plus, you should see the message boards! They're ravenous.

Re: The Sens... It's funny you mention a "missing" ingredient. I've been wondering the same thing. But what has changed since last year when they completely dominated the NHL, and went to the conference finals? Surely the loss of Arvedson hasn't affected them this deeply, has it? Or perhaps it has? I think they're still waiting for Fisher to come back, too. Plus, Lalime is having some problems. I suppose Arvedson brought a great defensive structure to their penalty killing and key game situations. Maybe that is it. Good thing the Canucks have him now! (Hee hee hee, I'm so bad.)

toronto has always been notorious for 'planning the yonge st. parade in mid september' when training camp ramps up but all around the team and fans ive seen excitement, but certainly not the unbridled enthusiasm that felled billy mumphrey.
they still talk about it a lot in the media as you said. i dont think it makes a difference-the leafs will lose when they lose, and youd think that is sooner than later.

re senators. they did lose arvedson and lalime has been askew but they also lost roger. neilson's death was supposed to inspire but this team has looked flat. alfredsson's a good guy as a captain. much like sundin he is quiet and reserved. but sundin is surrounded by a lot of veterans and former captains. not to say his team mates dont trust alfredsson, they just might need a vocal kick in the ass. they certainly have the skill. jason spezza is going to be causing problems for the maple leafs for a long long time (905 area kids always play best against the leafs).

Back
Top Bottom