The wine thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
Ok, so last night Mr BAW brought some really good Cabernet Sauvignon to the gathering...good choice btw, Rick. You should probably post the name here.

I normally like red wine, but I've been drinking alot of the Chateau st Michelle Riesling...a nice white wine, not too dry or fruity. I recommend it.

910951_Chateau_Ste_Michelle_Ries.jpg

Any other suggestions?

I would highly recommend pinot noir from the Central Otago region of New Zealand. There's a bloody good reason why critics have rated it on the level of French pinot noir: because it is of mindblowingly good quality, complex and rich in flavour. Marlborough sauvignon blanc is also very rewarding, and I recently sampled the Te Henga pinot gris, which initially seemed like a very unremarkable wine, but after about half a glass opened up and revealed itself to be a great wine with delicious fruity, almost spicy textures that last in the mouth.

And I will endlessly praise Ata Rangi pinot noir from New Zealand's Martinborough region. I am biased; it was my first favourite wine, back when I tried the 1993 vintage, and I picked some of the grapes for the 1996 vintage. But it really is a stellar drop. Speaking of the Martinborough region, I recall that Dry River's riesling is rather good.

A few of my favorite friends...

IMG_5284.jpg

Office vineyard (I recently painted the office, its something-something green w/Vintage Merlot as the trim! ) :lol:

IMG_5283.jpg

My tribute to Marilyn Merlot; our collection is one or two a year since 1989...more collectible than drink-worthy.

IMG_5290.jpg

My garage vineyard...

IMG_5292.jpg

And the Cab version of Redrocks' fave...

IMG_5293.jpg

Without argument, I enjoy the reds over whites; my favorite Pinot Noir is La Crema ~ Russian River Valley, CA

Matter of fact, most any red wine from that region is goooood...

I don't know a lot about wine, despite the fact that my mom and dad are total connoisseurs. (They go to France every couple years on buying trips!) At our wedding my dad brought a couple cases of Groth Chardonnay and I LOVED it. I've been to a few tastings in Napa Valley but I've yet to find anything I liked as much as that one.

Thinking of starting a new hobby, Carlos?

I visited Groth last year during my trip to Napa; there are a couple bottles of Groth in the office vineyard...its good....!

The wine that Carlos sampled was a Cabernet S. from Rubicon Estates, the private club side of Coppola's vineyard...good stuff.

"There's no way Wine's better than Pepsi"

-George Constanza

I 3rd this.

I'm a wine scumbag, really. Wine snobs grate me. I have 3 cases currently. One of a Moss Bros Semillon, and a something reisling made by more monks in the middle of god knows where. Nice stuff. I despise chardonnay and would rather drink cat piss I think. I dislike dry awful white wine. I like reds, almost all, though, but prefer fruity whites over anything else. The 3rd case is Pepsi Max.

/class act contribution

I'm very interested in wine and live in a region with a lot of vinyards. I did a lot of seminars and they were really interesting. Some years ago I discovered that I cannot have white wine or champaign, so I started to drink only red wine, even though I come from a family where people are drinking exclusively white wine, but it is much too sour for me and I'm getting migraine from it. I drink only European wines, my favourite ones are from my country, but I like Italian wines, too, and a good Rioja from Spain. I don't like sweet wines, I like them dry or a little "fruity" - I don't know if this is the right word in English, but you really have to taste the grapes, and I like it when the red wine tastes a little (not too much) like fruit (strawberrys or cherrys). Anyways, I like Pinot Noir, because it's good to drink and not too heavy, it's a great wine to go with your meal.

Wine, beer and water are actually the only things I drink. I started to drink more beer than wine because it's so refreshing.

I'm very interested in wine and live in a region with a lot of vinyards. I did a lot of seminars and they were really interesting. Some years ago I discovered that I cannot have white wine or champaign, so I started to drink only red wine, even though I come from a family where people are drinking exclusively white wine, but it is much too sour for me and I'm getting migraine from it. I drink only European wines, my favourite ones are from my country, but I like Italian wines, too, and a good Rioja from Spain. I don't like sweet wines, I like them dry or a little "fruity" - I don't know if this is the right word in English, but you really have to taste the grapes, and I like it when the red wine tastes a little (not too much) like fruit (strawberrys or cherrys). Anyways, I like Pinot Noir, because it's good to drink and not too heavy, it's a great wine to go with your meal.

Wine, beer and water are actually the only things I drink. I started to drink more beer than wine because it's so refreshing.

:hmm: my law prof. (the one from your country :wink:) , told us something about the bad wines you have, something like 'all our wines are contaminated but we have never noticed that' ...I dunno, I find him weird in general. :giggle:

I love wine. Living in the bay area has completely spoiled me, too, as I'm less than an hour away from Napa/Sonoma. I went wine tasting a few weeks back and came home with 8 bottles, mostly Pinot Noirs (if anyone wants to try some absolutely delicious reds - Zins and Pinots especially - check out Hartford Family Winery. Amazing stuff!). I definitely prefer the reds, but have been exploring whites more recently.

I've also discovered an awesome video blog that this guy does almost daily - tasting, describing, rating and discussing wines from all over the world, all in a relaxed and accessible way:

Wine Library TV

He's got quite the cult following - I highly recommend it - I've discovered and tried some wines I never would've come across on my own thanks to his shows. :up:

That was the first bottle i noticed. :lol:

I drink white wine and had he most amazing bottle in Toronto at the Hyatt, but can't remember the name of it. :sad::lol:

Might give Carlos's recommendation, Chateau St Michelle Riesling a try next time i go buy wine. :wink:

Chatteau St Michelle's Chardonnay is good too. The Riesling is a bit sweet. So if oyu like something a bit more dry and not so sweet, try the Chardonnay :up::up:

The U2JT bottle could just be a sticker, OR could be one of those wine companies where you can have your own label designed and placed on wine (for special occasions, etc). :wink:

I have an allergy to red wine so I usually stay away from it. But I have had some good cab sauv from California. The BV private reserves from about 2002-2004 were all really good.

California shiraz is generally pretty bad, though.

Good cheap wines :drool:

I currently have a bottle of the Barefoot merlot in my wine rack. I also have a bottle of merlot named Mia (the M is a sideways 3, but had to get it for the name of my cat, lol)

I was just looking at my selection tonight, wondering how come I haven't cracked any of it open in a while. I'm thinking soon. :hmm:

:hmm: my law prof. (the one from your country :wink:) , told us something about the bad wines you have, something like 'all our wines are contaminated but we have never noticed that' ...I dunno, I find him weird in general. :giggle:

What? Scandalous! :madwife:

Some of our red wines are internationally awarded.

I bought some very fine ones last week directly at the winary and will open them after I moved into my new apartment, when everything is done and ready.

^:ohmy:!
I'm clueless about wines, so I have to trust in what I got told. I think he meant that conventional wines had/ still have antifreezers and especially in austria...:shrug:
I only drink organic red wine anyway lol !

We had a wine scandal back in the 80s that tarnished the reputation of our wines for a long time.

Since then, there have been very strict controls and especially the red wines received international praise in recent years.

I guess your professor doesn't like our wines. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom