The wine thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's also briefly discuss movies about wine...

Sideways is brilliant, of course. "I'M NOT DRINKIN ANY FUCKIN MERLOT"

And now there is a new movie about wine coming out entitled Bottle Shock and it has a great cast...

Alan "Snape" Rickman
Bill "Nuke 'Em" Pullman
Eliza "Hot as Hell" Dushku
Freddy "Six Feet Under" Rodriguez
Rachael "Hot as Hell" Taylor

It got good reviews coming out of Sundance. Should be good.

How about Franzia boxed wine??

box%20wine.web.jpg

Mmmm, that stuff is GOOD!

Looks like blood. I guess if that's your thing...

Here's a good basic primer...

HowStuffWorks "Wine Basics: A Beginner's Guide"

Also, I subscribe to Wine Spectator magazine but it can also be found on-line for hints, recipes, etc....

Most every newspapers has a Life and Health section once a week, most have a wine recommendation; good place to check for new brands and tastes...

Another note - two bottles below, SAME grape source, same basic wine, two different labels, Lindeman's priced a buck or two higher...all flavors..good stuff..ps..Mrs. Edge introduced me to the Yellow Tail Cab/Shiraz, excellent for the price and the two got a rave review in Consumer Guide last year...

Lindemans%20Bin%2050%20Shiraz.jpg

cabernetsauvignon.gif

I've enjoyed several good wines from Australia and I've explored Chilean vintages...this one if a favorite, it has a little bite (spicy) and the alcohol volume is a point or two higher than most...

Another fact, when searching for wines, most regular brands have a RESERVE which might be a couple dollars more; a better grape, longer casking and a more mellow taste which might be worth the extra bucks...

grd5416.jpg

Aussies recognize this? what's the history behind it, if anyone knows.
Its one of my fav's and for whatever reason, it really gives me a kick! About $14 at Sam's Club.

ring_bolt.jpg

I don't wanna hog this thread but I'm just giving out my tips...when I go with BAW to the market or wherever I know there will be wine, I will accompany her but disappear into the wine area just to see and recognize the labels and most importantly, COMPARE PRICES...

Surprisingly, one of the best sources for top grade bottles, (from experience) Pine Ridge, Groth and Merryvale, can be found at Long's Drug Stores; plus they have a many lesser brands that can be bought at discount prices...

Most markets have a "6-pack price"...for instance, if you walk in and see a $28 Franciscan on sale for $21, I'll buy 6 and get another 10% off the price...that $28 bottle now cost me $18.90..; most of the vintages on the store rack can be shelved for up to 3 to 4 years, just turn it once in a while...

I'll catch you later with a Luna story...gotta get some work done.

That's very nice of you to say, April; I'm far from being an expert; I appreciate a good taste and good value...I do have my high-end wines that I save for special occasions including Vine Cliff, Lancaster...I'm a member of Rubicon Estates (Coppola) wine club and I get 4 shipments of 3 bottles a year of their exclusive Cabs, Zin's and Pinot Noir, stuff you won't find on the shelves...Carlos tasted one of those Cabs on Friday night, he gave it high marks.

I think we should have a Napa, CA Interference Conference!!! :yes:

Let's also briefly discuss movies about wine...

Sideways is brilliant, of course. "I'M NOT DRINKIN ANY FUCKIN MERLOT"

And now there is a new movie about wine coming out entitled Bottle Shock and it has a great cast...

Alan "Snape" Rickman
Bill "Nuke 'Em" Pullman
Eliza "Hot as Hell" Dushku
Freddy "Six Feet Under" Rodriguez
Rachael "Hot as Hell" Taylor

It got good reviews coming out of Sundance. Should be good.

Yes!!! PLEASE go see "Bottle Shock"!!! Freddy is a good friend of my best friend's family, really cool guy :up::up:

Dating ourselves, I think years ago, I read you mention diving into a bottle of Penfold's Bin # ??? and I just drooled........:drool:

Penfolds is great wine. I haven't had a bottle of any of their Bins for a very long time. It's one of those brands which usually put me off because their selections go into the premium and then higher, and I never know what to choose. I stick with the same 5 or so in the bottle shop and only experiment when someone is with me to advise me, or there's an auction. I bought these Moss Bros wines at auction, and they're just divine. They're another Margaret River wine.
Margaret River Wine Show - 2002 Results
That's them, in first place :sexywink:

Good thread, Mr B!
:up:

Last June, we stayed at Luna's Vineyards *there's a story; we visited Luna, Pine Ridge, BV, Merryvale, Groth, Phelps and Rubicon...a couple other's along the way...plus we played golf at Napa Country Club and Silverado Country Club...our people knew some people...it was a wonderful experience except for one agitator (read - too much sun and wine) :lol:

Just discovered Mr Gary Vey.Ner.Chuck over at Wine Library TV as someone else posted abaove. Very entertaining.

Loved wine for years and would love to spend more time on it. Having been overrun by new world wines in the uk (supermarkets, that is) and drunk my fill, I've been trying Italian wines recently. Never a fan of Chianti so I've been treading lightly but bought a bottle by Allegrini called 'Palazzo Della Torre' and it was fantastic. Learnt about Ripasso style wine, which is like a baby Amarone, and I just love that new discovery that goes on with wine..be it grape, region, style, producer.

Nice thread Mr B, and I'll be popping back with latest trials.

Hooray for wine lovers! :love:

My mom's cousin has a fairly successful winery in Washington, so I've grown up in a wine-loving family. I've normally preferred whites, but lately have been gaining an appreciation for a good red.

Recently at a family dinner, we had a bottle of Barnard Griffin Columbia Valley Semillon from 2004 that was incredibly delicious. I have a bottle of Penfolds chilling in my fridge that I'll open up for dinner tonight.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and keep them coming - I love discovering new wines.

Be careful when it comes to chillin...if you have adjustment capabilities...

Recommended settings..
54 to 61F (12-16C) for red wines...my preference settings is 59.

43 to 50F (6-19C) for whites

Thora - The northwest puts out some wonderful wines, especially Pinot Noir; I'll check out that label you mentioned. :up:

I grew up with everyone telling me red wine has to be stored in "room temperature".

OK, right now, in the midst of summer, my room temperature is about 30 C, so this cannot be it. :lol:

Most experts agree that the right temperature of storage isn't the most important thing about the wine, as long as it's not too cold, too hot and as long as the temperature stays more or less constant.

The temperature when you open the wine is more important. There are a lot of factors involved like how old the wine is, if it is a heavy or light or dry wine and so on.

Last June, we stayed at Luna's Vineyards *there's a story; we visited Luna, Pine Ridge, BV, Merryvale, Groth, Phelps and Rubicon...a couple other's along the way...plus we played golf at Napa Country Club and Silverado Country Club...our people knew some people...it was a wonderful experience except for one agitator (read - too much sun and wine) :lol:

Rick, have you ever made it up to the Russian River Valley/Healdsburg area? It's about an hour north of Napa (via the 101). I actually prefer it to Napa by quite a bit - it's more relaxed, the scenery is nicer, and the quality of wines is just as good, if not better. That's where I really discovered how good Pinot Noirs can be.

I grew up with everyone telling me red wine has to be stored in "room temperature".

OK, right now, in the midst of summer, my room temperature is about 30 C, so this cannot be it. :lol:

Most experts agree that the right temperature of storage isn't the most important thing about the wine, as long as it's not too cold, too hot and as long as the temperature stays more or less constant.

The temperature when you open the wine is more important. There are a lot of factors involved like how old the wine is, if it is a heavy or light or dry wine and so on.

Good point; so many different opinions, just like the old wive's tale of drinking reds with dark meats and whites with the lighter fare and salads...anything goes now because it all comes down to personal preference...:up:

And Dieman, let's go...I've only visited Napa once, it was last year and we made a helluva a week out of it!

Back
Top Bottom