The Why Don't You Love Me? Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
This is a thread for all those bands you love, but are afraid to start a thread for lest it set an Interference record for quickest fall from sight.

Don't just post the name of your favorite obscure band here, give them a good write up. Let the world (well, at least the people who read this forum) know a bit about them. Do a review or something. Tell all of the greatness that is _____[insert obscure band name here]!!

Um, I'll be back to post one or two of mine in a bit. Have to go feed the beasts. :)

Vinnie Moore (its not a group, he's a guitarist)

Why???

Because of one album: Time Odyssey

Its one of the best albums ever recorded, you can hear some samples in amazon.com, or some other, i cant remember.

Listen to that album, and you will never regret, i can assure you; it's far better that any satriani, vai, or any other guitarist album.

:drool:

BUY IT or DOWNLOAD IT, NOW!

Last edited:
Andrew fucking Bird you wankers. (for a write-up look on the 2nd.. or maybe 3rd now.. page)

Or basically.. any band I post about here. :wink:

The Joel Plaskett Emergency.

He won the national songwriting competition a couple years back, and rightfully so. :)

THE TEA PARTY

Three Canadians, seven albums, a roomful of obscure Middle Eastern instruments, influences from Echo & the Bunnymen and Joy Division to U2 to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, some serious Zeppelin fandom in their youth (and an aversion to the Doors... it's not the man's fault he's born with a baritone voice and black curly hair, sheezus!)
...intelligent, provocative, emotional lyrics drawn from deeply personal experiences as well as the writings of Burroughs, Bulgakov, Tom Cowan to name a few...
....covers and collaborations with Daniel Lanois, Roy Harper, Holly McNarland, Ritesh Das, the Toronto Tabla Ensemble and others...
...major involvement in the White Ribbon Campaign - working to end domestic violence- as well as the Transition to Betterness, a nonprofit organization for cancer patients and their families.
...Last and importantly -- Amazing music over the years, from "Morrocan-roll" to digital loops and effects to stripped-down full-on guitar rock.

The Tea Party
Transition to Betterness
The White Ribbon Campaign
River of the Interzone (fansite)

--Hem: Brooklyn-based weepy alt-country, beautiful female vocals, lots of sweeping violins and mandolins and such. Good for Ryan Adams and Emmylou Harris fans.

--the Long Winters: Seattle-based (I *think*...they're on Barsuk) band with which I've been mildly obsessed for a while. Tight, crunchy indie-pop with a nice romantic bent.

--Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter: Another alt-country ish outfit, but more spare and dark than Hem...kind of like Cowboy Junkies. Also Seattle-based.

--Nada Surf: Yes, the same guys who brought you "Popular" grew up and started making awesome, complicated, lyrically luminous songs like "Inside of Love" and "Paper Boats." Get Let Go. Just do it.

Last edited:
Gersey

I admit it. I decided to give Gersey a listen because Steve Kilbey said they were good and I figured "if it's good enough for SK, it's good enough for me." ;) Actually, I read his review of their Storms Dressed As Stars CD in which he wrote:

I love this record. A kick in the eye for all those Luddites who say they don’t make good records anymore.

I’ve listened to this one on the way to the pool on Discman, late at night with refreshments, loud and everything in between, whilst not quite deserving classic status this is a great warm record full of involving yet elusive songs; a sense of continuity permeates as the musical and lyrical themes intertwine and lovingly crafted muted atmospheres reveal themselves.

Simple evocative songs transporting us to some endless autumnal Melbourne afternoon awaiting "her" and pondering the deep existential ache of the night and all things romantic, oh, and Gersey do it so well interweaving biblical allusions and shoe-gazery sonic sheets of nonspecific keys and guitars and reverb and ambience.

Lovely lovely production by Tim Whitten who never intrudes but effortlessly lets this wonderful subtle stuff weave its spell.
People, I don’t wanna analyse how they achieve their gliding melancholy-light, but I wanna tell you that I guarantee this record is worth finding and don’t blame me if four or five of these tunes don’t start insinuating themselves into your thoughts.

Good good stuff, indeed.

So I ordered it (Australia only release, wouldn't you know) and figured it might have a few songs I'd enjoy. A little over a week later it arrived in my mailbox (Trifekta ships quickly) and I popped it into my CD player. Wow! I didn't listen to anything else for days! (not even The Church!!! :yikes: ) I think I played it non-stop for at least 72 hours (and when I mean non-stop, I mean I slept with it too).

It's not a rockin' album...that's not Gersey's style, it's just so seductive. I love it especially for late nights when I just want to trip. It's absolutely terrific music for chilling. The music builds and swirls and shimmers and dives and swoops -- sit back, close your eyes, and relax. You can just feel your body gliding through time and space. And the last song on the disc ("A Day To Be Certain") always makes me feel as if I should be outside in a late night summer downpour, strip naked, throw my head back, spin around, and howl at the sky. It doesn't get much better than that! :wink:

Gersey's first full length release Hope Springs soon joined Storms. Also a wonderful disc, not as mature as Storms, but it still has that wonderful building, swirling, shimmering music.

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:

THE PORCUPINE TREE

no write ups, no reviews, the name is sufficient

humpft!

Just for that, I'm not gonna check 'em out. So there. :madspit:

Yeah, SCREW THE PORCUPINE TREE. In fact, screw all porcupine bands. If there's a fucking Porcupine Bush out there, you're not getting one red cent out of me.

yertle-the-turtle said:
IWB will love this thread...

:lol:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

rob & mark lind. not bands, they're different people, and only one of the bands i'm freakin obsessed with includes both of them (the almighty sinners & saints)

you know you all want to read my borderline obsessive write-up on them, dirty water, the ducky boys, ramallah, and blood for blood (both linds' various bands over the years).

http://forum.interference.com/t115061.html

edit: what the fuck is "blood for bloow"? white trash hardcore rock n roll fuck you!

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:

THE PORCUPINE TREE

no write ups, no reviews, the name is sufficient

you know you spend too much time on interference when....you're at a radio station music staff meeting, you're digging through the box of "music to be reviewed" and you see a porcupine tree cd (it looked like some kind of single or something, not sure, i didn't take it home to review because i checked them out the last time you posted a thread about them and i didn't like them), and you think "hey, this is that band that acrobatman guy is always raving about."

:wink:

paxetaurora said:

--the Long Winters: Seattle-based (I *think*...they're on Barsuk) band with which I've been mildly obsessed for a while. Tight, crunchy indie-pop with a nice romantic bent.

"the new girl" :drool: that song rules. i never did spend enough time listening to the rest of the album, but again i must thank digi for including that on the ICDE3 mix.

wolfeden said:
THE TEA PARTY

Three Canadians, seven albums, a roomful of obscure Middle Eastern instruments, influences from Echo & the Bunnymen and Joy Division to U2 to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, some serious Zeppelin fandom in their youth (and an aversion to the Doors... it's not the man's fault he's born with a baritone voice and black curly hair, sheezus!)
...intelligent, provocative, emotional lyrics drawn from deeply personal experiences as well as the writings of Burroughs, Bulgakov, Tom Cowan to name a few...
....covers and collaborations with Daniel Lanois, Roy Harper, Holly McNarland, Ritesh Das, the Toronto Tabla Ensemble and others...
...major involvement in the White Ribbon Campaign - working to end domestic violence- as well as the Transition to Betterness, a nonprofit organization for cancer patients and their families.
...Last and importantly -- Amazing music over the years, from "Morrocan-roll" to digital loops and effects to stripped-down full-on guitar rock.

The Tea Party
Transition to Betterness
The White Ribbon Campaign
River of the Interzone (fansite)

bulgakov? really?

i checked out the clips on the first link you posted :up:

japan. they're a fantastic band. i think it's safe to say that without them, the new wave movement may not have existed. duran duran wanted them to produce their first album. (they said no and had colin thurston, who'd produced david bowie, instead.) quiet life sounds like the predecessor for planet earth and other airy, atmospheric early 80s songs. gentlemen take polaroids is arguably the best album from 80-84. their earlier stuff is good as well, but it sounds nothing like their last three albums. but if you like glam rock, you'll love it. it is amazing too how a band can go from sounding like new york dolls to duran duran. three of my favourite bands (duran duran, inxs, tears for fears) listed them as influences and when i asked john taylor, my god, about them and he went on and on, i knew i had to check them out. :up:

i don't really know what else to say.

AcrobatMan said:

And I am not going to listen to THE CHURCH :madspit:

I tried one song long time back..and thats it...

:sexywink:

That's OK, no one else listens to them either.... :sad:

Of course, that makes them accessible to me. :wink:

paxetaurora said:
"Cinnamon" and "Bride and Bridle" are really good tunes from the same album, ja. :up:

my favorite song from When I Pretend To Fall is the opener "Blue Diamons", good album :up:

Warp Factor 9 Five Days in a Photon Belt

If you got a fax which started out -- "You Must Read This At some time between mid July of this year, 1992 and 1993 this Planet is likely to Experience and extraordinary phenomenon, Five days of continuous darkness or Five days of continuous brilliant light " what would you do? Most people would probably toss it after reading just that much. However, this fax went to Russell Kilbey, who with one of his brothers (John) and a couple other musicians shut themselves into a recording studio for a few days, and essentially used the fax to create a theme album.

It's definantly an album which only fits certain moods, but if your in a fatalistic mood and want to hear a bit of fun electronica, this is the perfect album!

full text of the fax here

Last edited:
I have lot more obscure bands.... :evilhystericallaughingsmilie:

Back
Top Bottom