The Who Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
The Who Tour kicks off in Philadelphia Tuesday night and I'm going with a friend who got tickets. I know some of The Who songs, but I'd (as of right now) be the guy at the U2 concert who didn't know to sing "How long to sing this song?" at the end of the concert and not scream "No more!" during Sunday Bloody Sunday. Any ideas on how to not embarass myself?

Keep ya mouth shut lol - my advice.

Is the oasis drummer zak sumemt drumming for the who again ?

Numb1075 said:
Don't yell "Free Bird"

:lol:

I know that much.

Vaz, Ringo Starr's son Zac is the drummer again. It's the same group that toured in 2002.

My first reaction when he told me was, "Who the hell is there other than Daltrey and Townshend."

The bassist has a strange name, they have a keyboardist now, the drummer is Ringo's son, and the backup guitarist is Pete's brother.

i saw them in 2002 at MSG. They have such a huge catalogue of great songs that you will have fun regardless.

wish I were going :|
who can afford tickets? For the cost of an excellent Hollywood Bowl seat (face), I can fly to Hawaii & see U2 & Pearl Jam :happy:

:drool: :wink: I am going to see them when they do the Virgin Festival in Baltimore on the 23rd.. woohoooooooo!!! :dancing:

I saw the 2002 tour too at the Hollywood Bowl, it was right after Entwistle had passed away... Great show!:happy:

well... if some cheap tickets pop up, I'll go... otherwise, I'll be here. On the blue crack :wink:

Take me to the festival!!! (Raconteurs, Who, RHCP?)

don't worry, besides the new album, the setlists have been standard hits so you will recognize it all

Here's the review:

It was definitely a tour opener, for they were really off. The sound wasn't working and they had technical problems with Pete Townshend's guitar. Roger Daltrey's microphone wasn't sounding great either.

They played about 10 new songs, including 7 in a row. The technical difficulties mostly occured during the 7, and the strangest part was that the band was apologizing for it. Saying things like "sorry you have to hear the new songs, but here are seven in a row" and "thanks for putting up with us."

Those were the bad. The good: Daltrey and Townshend were the usual wiseasses. After a "Who Are You" which absolutely rocked the house, the fans couldn't stop cheering, and as they were about to begin an acoustic, Daltrey goes, "If you guys would shut the fuck up, we could be playing right now."

The classics were all there: Can't Explain, Baba O'Riley, Pinball Wizard, Who Are You, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again. Most of them were very good.

The stage was interesting. They had a sort of stage curtain behind the band that opened after a few songs to reveal a metal wall. They had five large movable screens in front of it that had lots of different background effects (the best were on Baba O'Riley). There was one large screen above them and over the stage, and two that were on an angle on each side to give some people on those side's a better view.

They started about five minutes early and played 2 hours and 10 minutes. Overall, for a first-timer, it was a great show, however, everyone was pretty bored (though tolerant) during the new songs.

Setlist: (from thewholive.de)

I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Baba O'Riley
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sound Round
Pick Up The Peace
Unholy Trinity
Endless Wire
We Got A Hit
They Made My Dreams Come True
Mirror Door
Relay
You Better You Bet
Who Are You
Man In The Purple Dress
Black Widow Eyes
Fragments
My Generation
Cry If You Want
Won't Get Fooled Again

(Encore)
Substitute
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Tea And Theatre

The classics were all great.

I failed to mention some things in my original posts:

The new songs, even counting in the technical problems, were not very good. They just weren't that interesting. And throwing 10 at us like that was awful.

Townshend was in full force with the windmill, he broke out a 10-in-a-row windmill twice, which absolutely lighted up the place.

Townshend was also wearing a reall weird hat, prompting the guy I was there with to comment he thought he looked like a convict.

That same guy had seen U2 play Philadelphia in October (lucky), and made many comparisons to that show knowing how much I enjoy U2. He said the U2 sound was much clearer, that the area for stage controls in the middle of the arena floor was 5 times the size of The Who's, and that the ellipse was awesome for the show. He also thought City of Blinding Lights was the best performance.

I hope that the sound is better by the time they hit chicago

I'm only going because I only had to pay 50$ of my ticket for pretty decent (not bad) seats

the setlists look pretty boring, I've already seen them once before so I've seen the hits and I'm not too interested in hearing the same hits in a row

regardless of the quality of the new songs I respect the band for still going out and playing 7-10 a night (unlike the rolling stones) just because thats what bands need to do with new material-support it, good or bad

secondly the other reason why I got tickets was because Pete Townshend said something along the line of looking forward to playing songs they hadn't played in a while

what I was hoping for were stuff like this:
a quick one, while he's away
armenia city in the sky
mary anne with the shaky hand
happy jack
ect...

I guess thats too bad

glad you enjoyed the show though

phillyfan26 said:
My first reaction when he told me was, "Who the hell is there other than Daltrey and Townshend."

The bassist has a strange name, they have a keyboardist now, the drummer is Ringo's son, and the backup guitarist is Pete's brother.
Pino Palladino took over aftere Entwhistle passed, he's an accomplished bassist, but certainly is no "thunder fingers", a couple of songs live have a noticeable difference with no John.

Keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick has toured with The Who since the 70's.

Zak Starkey is a very good drummer, a step up from Moon's official replacement Kenny Jones.

Pete's brother Simon rounds out the band on acoustic/rhythm guitar. He played a lot of the lead stuff on some past tours (the Quadrophenia tour in like 1994 or so for example) when Pete was having a lot of trouble with his tinnitus and playing almost exclusively acoustic.

I'm Ready said:
I hope that the sound is better by the time they hit chicago

I'm only going because I only had to pay 50$ of my ticket for pretty decent (not bad) seats

the setlists look pretty boring, I've already seen them once before so I've seen the hits and I'm not too interested in hearing the same hits in a row

regardless of the quality of the new songs I respect the band for still going out and playing 7-10 a night (unlike the rolling stones) just because thats what bands need to do with new material-support it, good or bad

secondly the other reason why I got tickets was because Pete Townshend said something along the line of looking forward to playing songs they hadn't played in a while

what I was hoping for were stuff like this:
a quick one, while he's away
armenia city in the sky
mary anne with the shaky hand
happy jack
ect...

I guess thats too bad

glad you enjoyed the show though

I wonder what the setlist for Chicago is going to be....I might wear my U2 shirt to that concert:wink:

What about 5:15?

Back
Top Bottom