The Who *song question*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Ok this is one of my favorite songs to hear on the radio but I've never caught the name of it. And it's driving me crazy cos since I don't know the name of it I can't buy the album it's on etc..

Anyway the lyric that sticks with me is- "Don't surround yourself with circles, surround yourself with squares"

It was in the movie 'Big Fish' awhile back but i don't think it made the soundtrack. Anyone know what the song's called? I can't remember if it was done by the entire band or if Pete Townshend did it seperately :scratch:

Could it be a band called Yes and a song called I've Seen All Good People?
"Don't surround yourself with yourself,
Move on back two squares"

Yes it is.

The first part "Your Move" is awesome
the latter part "Seen All Good People" is shit. Does have some cool bass though.

I think Starship Trooper is on that album as well, that's a pretty cool song.

just for Angel of Harlem's sake:
the first part of that song is Your Move and has the lines you are asking about. The later part sort of takes a turn like a Peter Gabriel song, your listening for 4 minutes thinking "this is great" and all of a sudden a left turn into shit castle.

I think the song is about chess. I don't remember all the lyrics but I remember thinking that.

If you download it, it's probably the same track, I'd assume. Those prog-rcokers liked to have different sections to a song etc.
Rush did that a lot in the 70's as well.

Last edited:
The rest is shit? :huh:

I've Seen All Good People is one of the best rock songs ever - the entire song, not just the "Your Move" part. And I don't know how you compare it to Peter Gabriel, because it sounds nothing like him.

It's on The Yes Album, which also includes Starship Trooper and Yours Is No Disgrace, both classics as well.

Yours Is No Disgrace
I've Seen All Good People
Roundabout
Starship Trooper
Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Hold On
It Can Happen
Leave It

In general, any song by Yes is ... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

phanan said:
The rest is shit? :huh:

I've Seen All Good People is one of the best rock songs ever - the entire song, not just the "Your Move" part. And I don't know how you compare it to Peter Gabriel, because it sounds nothing like him.

It's on The Yes Album, which also includes Starship Trooper and Yours Is No Disgrace, both classics as well.

Rest is shit, yes.

What I mean by the Peter Gabriel comparison is exactly what I typed. It takes a turn in the song, like some of PG's material does. Take the song 'I Grieve', he has others as well, but this song is sheer beauty for about 4 or 5 minutes and then BANG here comes the crap bonanza. That's what I meant. Never said he sounded like Yes or vice versa, did I?

Taking a turn like a Peter Gabriel song can only mean that you are comparing something he does in his music compared to something Yes does in their music, right? Well, they take turns in their songs very differently I'd say.

As for the song itself, that's your opinion, but seeing as how it's considered an all-time classic rock favorite, I'd say you'd be in the minority there.

Back
Top Bottom