The Underappreciated Band Appreciation Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

What was the fiasco?

Yeah I don't get the Queen one either.

But as far as Jeff, I think he was underrated while here, but death elevated him to a sort of cult status. It's a fucking shame too.

The fiasco involved the film clip which was supposed to be featuring runaway kids, actual photos...but if my incredibly foggy memory serves me right, one or 2 of the kids were not runaways, but murder victims who'd been listed as 'missing' while the case pended. but then (here my memory serves as usefully as tits on a bull) someone on this forum...possibly moonlit_angel? replied to this once with some other info which might have proved all this wrong or...not. i cant remember. all i do know is the media here went a little overboard in ripping the band a new hole, and everyone associated.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I saw Gavin's new band Institute on Leno or Conan last night and just thought man what happened to the Bush of Sixteen Stone. Now don't get me wrong there were a few tunes after that album, but never a whole album as good as their first. But this new band is just watered down Bush.

Ah, yes. I could never remember the name. It seemed once Nigel drifted away, they couldn't hold it together. I wouldn't have even pegged him as the glue, but I guess it was on the cards anyway.
By your description, I wont be in a hurry to hear them. Seems all too half hearted on Gavin's behalf.

:sigh:

Hallucination said:
Anything by Soul Asylum. They were such an amazing live band who also put out some charming little albums(11 in all). Unfortunately Karl Mueller(bass player) passed away a few months ago. The band was set to release another album(first since 1997) but now it looks as though it may never come out.

Anything on Twin/Tone, but yeah, Soul Asylum tend to get overshadowed by Husker Du and The Replacements, which are also really great bands that get less than they deserve.

timothius said:

Peter Gabriel doesn't get enough credit in the mainstream in general. He is well respected amongst major music enthusisits... but most audiences are pretty ignorant to classics like Solsbury Hill, Sledgehammer, Here Comes The Flood, Don't Give Up etc etc etc. His influence in the area of production can not be underrated as well.

Our Lady Peace have never got the mainstream attention that they deserve anywhere from what I can tell, despite churning out some of the better albums in the Rock genre in the past decade... particullarly Clumsy & Gravity... as well as an amazing concept album in Spiritual Machines.

I will probably think of more as it comes to hand. :hmm:

Gabriel is played all the time on the radio here. (Minnesota)

As for OLP, ever since Mike left and they left Arnold they haven't been as great as they were. And they are huge in Canada.

Xiu Xiu
Devendra Banhart (see my avatar)
Red Sparowes
Patrick Wolf

many more

Screendoor said:

Gabriel is played all the time on the radio here. (Minnesota)

As for OLP, ever since Mike left and they left Arnold they haven't been as great as they were. And they are huge in Canada.

I've only ever heard one PG song on the radio ever. This could be because PG has never toured Australia (outside of 2 shows in Adeladie).

OLP are a major contendor for album of the year from my end... and while nothing will match Clumsy, hell Gravity comes close. :)

Angela Harlem said:
Did Soul Asylum ever recover from the Runaway Train fiasco? That was a great song. Actually, last time I mentioned this on here, someone had some info which was more interesting or proved my belief about that song wrong. I cant remember which, or who said it..but it was interesting!

:hmm:

Not sure what "fiasco" you're refering to. I do know that the video featured pictures and names of missing children. Because the video got such a huge amount of airtime, the pictures were seen by so many and actually helped reunite a few of the kids with their families. If by "fiasco" you mean the whole "One hit wonder" thing, then no I doubt that perception of them ever wnet away. Misery on the follow up album Let Your Dim Light Shine was a pretty big hit but not nearly as big. Soul Asylum were never ment to be a popular band. I mean if you listen to the way their band evolved from 1979 up till the point when Grave Dancers Union came out it, was a pretty slow and honest evolution. Sure Grave Dancers Union made them seem like overnight success but after that album you could see them kinda evolving into a more folky band which is what they always were really. I love Soul Asylum and I think it's hilarious when people ask "Whatever happend to them" becasue they were around for sooooo long before anyone found out who they were. Nothing ever happened to them they just hit the jackpot with one album. Good for them. They deserved it. Too bad they may never put out another album. David Pirner's solo album is pretty charming. It's called Faces and Names.

Oh and somthing that I never thought was fair is that Soul Asylum tend to be lumped in with all the early 90's "grunge" bands who rode the wave of success of Pearl Jam and Nirvana. That's complete BS! They're music could not be further from the whole grunge scene. There is no way they were part of that nor do they own any of their success to that.

Last edited:
Screendoor said:

Anything on Twin/Tone, but yeah, Soul Asylum tend to get overshadowed by Husker Du and The Replacements, which are also really great bands that get less than they deserve.

Totally. Soul Asylum make no effort to hide their appreaciation for Husker Du.

Funny side note: Soul Asylum's originla name was Loud Fast Rules! :laugh: I think they made the right choice when changeing names.

AcrobatMan said:
predictable choice..

THE PORCUPINE TREE

Steve Wilson :love:

also THE PINEAPPLE THIEF

Definitely! Both PTs are amazing, though Porcupine Tree are clearly the superior one of the two. :drool:

(I'm currently in love with Lightbulb Sun [song not album] and Vapour Trails.)

timothius said:

OLP are a major contendor for album of the year from my end... and while nothing will match Clumsy, hell Gravity comes close. :)

Maybe I should listen to the album again. To me it sounded like a U2 cover band.

Nino Rojo :happy:

no, I think Rejoicing in the Hands, but I dunno, I like both, I wanna marry Devendra!

he's from San Francisto, I think... but he likes to sing in spanish, has a very poor pronunciation, well, in Cripple Crow his spanish is a little better

he speaks spanish bad and grew in Venezuela? :sad:

but some of my favorite songs by him are in spanish, though

Yeah I don't get the Queen one either.

if you don't get the queen one you either -
A) don't get queen
B) are from somwhere other than america.

and i'm from america. most of us are both

most underrated...
quicksand
jellyfish
the wonder stuff
jellyfish
oh yeah....
jellyfish.

Most underappreciated band?

U2
:wink:

Maybe there´s a bit of truth, there are some out there who consider their talent as rubbish after 25 years career......................
But it´s taste! Sacred taste................................
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom