The Tuesday, March 11th, 2003 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IWasBored said:
:up: everyone who didn't listen to us and get it today better go get it tomorrow.

While it looks like no U2 fans here give a crap about AFI, I was excessively suprised that when I went into the store like 30 mins after it opened, there were only 2 copies of Sing the Sorrow left!! I lucked out!

I like how they're selling it for really cheap everywhere, that gives a lot more incentive to people to buy it.

What color is your cover? Red? Silver? I think the Silver ones are limited to only this week or something. I couldnt decide which I liked better. Red probably looked better, but I took silver just because I knew it was a limited version.

BTW, I put a quote in EYKIW that Edge said about The Clash last night.

It was so cool to hear Clash songs I'd never heard before today. Even better that all of them are good ones.

I thought I'd heard of that Ginsberg guy before, probably read some of his stuff in High School or something.

my cover is black, the only cover they had. theyre was a whole ton of copies, i think people in western massachusetts feel the same way about afi as most of the people here do. which sucks cos they don't know what they're missing.

u2popmofo said:
It was so cool to hear Clash songs I'd never heard before today. Even better that all of them are good ones.

I thought I'd heard of that Ginsberg guy before, probably read some of his stuff in High School or something.

i figured you probably knew who he was and just didn't remember...i'm not a huge fan of that song, i like it ok, but it's not something i go straight to listen to when i put in the album

that is a really good bunch of clash songs, i'm glad you finally heard them, cos they're great. and i really did listen to the whole box set last night, i was getting really tired when there were about three tracks left, but i waited til the cd ended to go to sleep

listening to afi--...but home is nowhere

You need to force yourself to listen to the very last hidden song a few times. It's freaking great. Becoming one of my favs. off the album.

The first one isnt really even a song, I dont know what to think about it.

i'm listening to the scret track stuff...the only thing is it will freeze my computer is listen to that over and over, i have to listen to the whole 12th track, which i may be able to do once i get completly aquainted with the album...sure i know the songs, but they take on a whole new life when they're on the album as opposed to a folder of mp3s on my computer.

i swear the thing on the back of the cd booklet looks like happy noodle boy...do you know who happy noodle boy is? i don't know if your cd book has the same back as mine, but it's this round thing at the bottom right corner

that first thing that isn't really a song reminds me of this band called...i forgot what they were called...they had a song called "stigmata for the fallen" and i think they were called requiem, but that may have just been the name of another one of their songs...it reminds me of them...

this time imperfect is great. listening to it now...i really like how they printed the lyrics for the secret track in the cd book. usually bands don't even give you a title of the secret track (if there is one)

No clue who or what happy noodle boy is.

I think I know what you mean, it's a circle with a picture of corn or wheat stocks or something in it, right?

happy noddle boy is a creation of jhonen vasquez found in johnny the homicidal maniac and squee comic books...his face reminds me of that thing...

yeah it is corn or wheat, i think it's corn

When I bought AFI there was quite a few gone... it sounds like they are popular around here after they came for Warped tour a few years back.

would highly recommend Ginsberg's Howl.

so I may go buy some CDs after work. for people who already own Clash records, what would be better? Essential Clash or London Calling?

sharky said:
for people who already own Clash records, what would be better? Essential Clash or London Calling?

That's a really good question. I really do think you need both, but I dont know which would be better to buy first. Probably Essential Clash, with that you'll get all of their "big" songs which will make your listening experience a little more enjoyable I think.

At the same time though, I consider London Calling to be my all time favorite album. I dont know, tough decision, one I cant make.

u2popmofo said:

That's a really good question. I really do think you need both, but I dont know which would be better to buy first. Probably Essential Clash, with that you'll get all of their "big" songs which will make your listening experience a little more enjoyable I think.

At the same time though, I consider London Calling to be my all time favorite album. I dont know, tough decision, one I cant make.

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH LONDON CALLING

what clash records do you have already? and if you have albums how on earth do you not having london calling? that's like non-u2 fans who have the joshua tree...

you need london calling. nothting else to it. but then again you also need to hear all the stuff on the essentials that you're missing by only getting london calling.

and mofo, i like "this is england" i listened to it about 4 times in a row last night after i felt while i was making some flashcards for my latin vocabulary words i had to memorize, and i got over whatever it was that i didn't like about it. and the song's been stuck in my head all day...

IWasBored said:
what clash records do you have already? and if you have albums how on earth do you not having london calling? that's like non-u2 fans who have the joshua tree...

you need london calling. nothting else to it. but then again you also need to hear all the stuff on the essentials that you're missing by only getting london calling.

and mofo, i like "this is england" i listened to it about 4 times in a row last night after i felt while i was making some flashcards for my latin vocabulary words i had to memorize, and i got over whatever it was that i didn't like about it. and the song's been stuck in my head all day...

This post deserves an all around :up:

u2popmofo said:

This post deserves an all around :up:

thank you.

*listening to "this is england" and trying to figure out why i'm only getting music out of one headphone speaker...it's no the headphones cos i checked the other pair...*

Cujo's Musical Review

Upon pressure from u2popmofo and IWB, I decided to post my thoughts on AFI's sixth album... here goes

AFI: Sing the Sorrow

Rob Halford would be proud of this agoraphobia-laced triumph. With a variation of styles ranging from goth punk to ambient overtures, AFI's Sing the Sorrow provides selection for even the most discriminating taste.
The album initiates the listener with, the beginning, a song driven by heavy drums and heavy Pink Floyd influence. It's a pretty good indication of the material to follow, compelling you to join the Despair Faction.
On first listen, you notice that it's not the typical punk album; the lyrics are more spiritual, and the guitar is not the driving force behind the music. Adam Carson and Hunter really spotlight the percussion and rhythm sections, featured in songs like Bleed Black and Death of Seasons. Among the listing, the album contains two bonus tracks with a predominantly vocal performance, along with This Time Imperfect.

Standout tracks:

Bleed Black

Led Zeppelin formula for guitar, with various parts of different styles. Reminiscent of TOOL in terms of the opening guitar riffs and bass lines, juxtaposed with punk-style drumming.

Silver and Cold

Lyrics with reference to sacrifice and longing. Iron Maiden power chords influence the presence of the rhythmic guitar at chorus.

Dancing Through Sunday

Worthy for its guitar solo alone.

Death of Seasons

Probably the hardest of the bunch, with Rammstein-like intro, and Judas Priest body. But most impressive for its mix of techno beats and punk riffs.

Leaving Song

The best of the slow songs; contains the simplest, but most interesting guitar part. Probably Davey's best lyric.

Overall good tunes and good record. Well worth the buy for Davey Havok's vocals and lyrics.

Home may be nowhere for these boys, but they are sure carving a niche in the recently hollow punk genre. The goth punk experiment worked, lets hope it doesn't balloon into a fad.

Last edited:
EXCELLENT Cujo!!!! You never fail to disappoint in terms of musical observations!!!

I too agree on how cool the solo in Dancing Through Sunday is.

Your observations = fanstasmulisticly observifiant

One comment, that wasnt AFI's third album. It was their 6th.

u2popmofo said:
EXCELLENT Cujo!!!! You never fail to disappoint in terms of musical observations!!!

I too agree on how cool the solo in Dancing Through Sunday is.

Your observations = fanstasmulisticly observifiant

One comment, that wasnt AFI's third album. It was their 6th.

Sorry, I thought someone told me it was their third... I'll just edit that...

No I haven't had a chance to go through the Clash yet... I know most of the material...

I couldn't imagine writing a review for that... maybe you or IWB could.

cujo said:
No I haven't had a chance to go through the Clash yet... I know most of the material...

I couldn't imagine writing a review for that... maybe you or IWB could.

Yeah, screw that. There were like 13 songs on it I hadnt heard. I gave comments on them. That's about the most I want to do.

Plus, it's kinda lame to review a complilation cd set.

Agreed... its difficult to write something so small on a body of work so huge... maybe IWB be up to the task... she's on here all the time anyway right? She's a machine.

u2popmofo said:

She didnt even buy the cd's. She has like everything Clash-wise except for Cut the Crap

yes. and i couldn't write a review good enough to do justice to the superior quality of songs on that cd either. there's not much more that you can say about the songs on that compilation other than "fucking amazing."

hey, that can be my review. even though i didn't listen to the actual best of, i've heard all the songs, i listened to them all the other day when i listened to the clash box set straight through. then i donwloaded (or maybe i donwloaded it first, i can't remember the EXACT order) "this is england."

fucking amazing.

yes yes I know I'm lame. I don't own London Calling. OK, I promise to get it now -- but get Essential Clash first.

Re: Cujo's Musical Review

cujo said:
Upon pressure from u2popmofo and IWB, I decided to post my thoughts on AFI's sixth album... here goes

AFI: Sing the Sorrow

Rob Halford would be proud of this agoraphobia-laced triumph. With a variation of styles ranging from goth punk to ambient overtures, AFI's Sing the Sorrow provides selection for even the most discriminating taste.
The album initiates the listener with, the beginning, a song driven by heavy drums and heavy Pink Floyd influence. It's a pretty good indication of the material to follow, compelling you to join the Despair Faction.
On first listen, you notice that it's not the typical punk album; the lyrics are more spiritual, and the guitar is not the driving force behind the music. Adam Carson and Hunter really spotlight the percussion and rhythm sections, featured in songs like Bleed Black and Death of Seasons. Among the listing, the album contains two bonus tracks with a predominantly vocal performance, along with This Time Imperfect.

Standout tracks:

Bleed Black

Led Zeppelin formula for guitar, with various parts of different styles. Reminiscent of TOOL in terms of the opening guitar riffs and bass lines, juxtaposed with punk-style drumming.

Silver and Cold

Lyrics with reference to sacrifice and longing. Iron Maiden power chords influence the presence of the rhythmic guitar at chorus.

Dancing Through Sunday

Worthy for its guitar solo alone.

Death of Seasons

Probably the hardest of the bunch, with Rammstein-like intro, and Judas Priest body. But most impressive for its mix of techno beats and punk riffs.

Leaving Song

The best of the slow songs; contains the simplest, but most interesting guitar part. Probably Davey's best lyric.

Overall good tunes and good record. Well worth the buy for Davey Havok's vocals and lyrics.

Home may be nowhere for these boys, but they are sure carving a niche in the recently hollow punk genre. The goth punk experiment worked, lets hope it doesn't balloon into a fad.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom