The top 25 cover songs of all time.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I cant remember where I snagged this, finally got around to posting it.,.......

1. "All Along the Watchtower"
(Bob Dylan) by Jimi Hendrix
Rock's greatest guitarist interprets rock's greatest songwriter and is paid the ultimate cover song compliment when, years later, Dylan starts performing the song Hendrix's way. Jimi's only Top 40 hit, "Watchtower" was a 1968 mindblower that led to the early '70s FM radio heyday.

2. "Mystery Train"
(Junior Parker) by Elvis Presley
The term "cover" was first used in the early '50s to describe white versions of R&B hits, such as "Sh-Boom" by Canada's Crew-Cuts, which was originally recorded by the Chords. But this cover was anything but vanilla, as Presley and producer Sam Phillips put a driving beat to a blues song and made you want to come along on that "Train I ride, fifteen coaches long."

3. "Proud Mary"
(Creedence Clearwater Revival)
by Ike and Tina Turner
The original was pretty near perfect, but with a conspiracy of frenzied horns, that deep-voiced setup of an intro and Tina's soulful screech, the Turners transformed this into a whole 'nother animal. What does "Pumped a lot of tain down in New Orleans" mean? Who cares?

4. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
(Gladys Knight & the Pips)
by Marvin Gaye
Even though G.K.'s version is untoppable, this one, built on a throwaway bass line on the original, is pretty terrific.

5. "Gloria"
(Them) by Patti Smith
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." It starts like a dirge, but then picks up, just like "Gloria" should. If you didn't instantly play this track again after hearing it the first time, you're probably an orthodontist or a Realtor or in insurance right now.

6. "Twist & Shout"
(Isley Bros) by the Beatles
Perhaps John Lennon's greatest vocal shredding, this cover gave the Beatles major cred points.

7. "Gin & Juice"
(Snoop Dogg) by the Gourds
The cover that swallowed the oeuvre, it's impossible to play this gangsta-grass rendition too much.

8. "Take Me To the River"
(Al Green) by Talking Heads
A brilliant reconstruction -- a whole new song.

9. "Nothing But Fine"
(Rockin' Dopsie) by Rockpile
Pure, clean rock 'n' roll that obliterates the zydeco roots.

10. "Spanish Harlem"
(Ben E. King) by Aretha Franklin
In a close call over "I Say a Little Prayer" and "Respect," this one gets bonus points for Bernard Purdie's drumming, which is a revelation all in itself. (Amazingly, this track, which also features Donny Hathaway on organ and Cornell Dupree on guitar, was recorded the same day as "Rock Steady.")

11. "Nutbush City Limits"
(Tina Turner) by Bob Seger
Even with the lame introduction and Detroit pandering, this live track just scorches. Better watch out for the po-lice, when you're pounding the dashboard, oblivious of the speed limit.

12. "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World"
(Judy Garland/ Louis Armstrong)
by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Never has lyrical butchering sounded so gorgeous, uplifting, irresistible.

13. "Twistin' the Night Away"
(Sam Cooke) by Rod Stewart
Just doing justice to a Sam Cooke song is impressive: snatching it from his cold, dead fingers and making it your own is almost miraculous.

14. "Satisfaction"
(Rolling Stones) by Devo
This is where the Heads got the idea for "Take Me To the River."

15. "Tears of a Clown"
(Smokey Robinson) by English Beat
The high-point of ska, before all the good groups started trying to get all arty like Lee Perry.

16. "T-R-O-U-B-L-E"
(Elvis Presley) by Travis Tritt
Travis kicks Elvis' version all down the block.

17. "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness"
(John Prine) by Alabama 3
A kinda hippie techno thing with a marvelous harmonica break from the folks who brought us the "Sopranos" theme song.

18. "Absolutely Sweet Marie"
(Bob Dylan)
by Jason and the Scorchers
The only reason to own a Jason and the Scorchers album.

19. "Get Rhythm"
(Johnny Cash) by NRBQ
For Al Anderson's guitar solo and a drum beat that pours the foundation.

20. "Sweet Jane"
(Velvet Underground)
by Cowboy Junkies
The Who stole the Velvets' riff for "Baba O'Riley," but Margo Timmins steals the song's inherent elegance and sprays that gutter clean.

21. "A Little Help From My Friends"
(Beatles) by Joe Cocker
As long as you don't have to look at him.

22. "Any Way You Want It"
(Dave Clark Five) by the Ramones
It's heads. Tails and it was "Do You Wanna Dance?"

23. "Move It On Over"
(Hank Williams)
by George Thorogood
It's the late '70s, this comes on the radio and a whole generation of rock heads discovers there's more to Hank Williams than "Your Cheatin' Heart."

24. "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
(Bob Dylan) by Harry Nilsson
and John Lennon
The two drunkest men on the planet rip apart Dylan's wordy rewriting of Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business" and tape it back together as a tribal romp.

25. "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You"
(Elvis Presley) by Bono of U2
"Honeymoon In Vegas" may have been a dog at the theaters, but the soundtrack is probably the best tribute album ever. Bono gets the nod over Bryan Ferry's "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and Dwight Yoakam's "Suspicious Minds" with the clever use of Elvis talking in the background and a cool vocal trick, where Bono starts the song with his lowest range and ends it in falsetto.

Zoomerang96 said:
interesting.

i just declared myself king of the chutes and ladders , formerly known as the bang and clatter....i;ll be the judge of how interesting a post is.......:angry:

and this is indeed.....i feel pretty damn sexy now thank you

:wink:

Elvis Presley said:

11. "Nutbush City Limits"
(Tina Turner) by Bob Seger
Even with the lame introduction and Detroit pandering, this live track just scorches. Better watch out for the po-lice, when you're pounding the dashboard, oblivious of the speed limit.

22. "Any Way You Want It"
(Dave Clark Five) by the Ramones
It's heads. Tails and it was "Do You Wanna Dance?"

I was gonna mention the Bob Seger song as I started to read this post. Man, he tears the place down with that song! I shoulda put him on my list of greatest concerts! I saw him tear down Pauley Pavilion in about 1977. It was great show even if that lame-ass Sammy Hagar opened for him.

Oh, but I like the Ramones' Do You Wanna Dance!!!

D'ya
D'ya
D'ya
D'ya wanna dance
Under the moonlight
Squeeze me baby
All through the night
Oh babe
D'ya wanna dance!!

Woohoo, some good ones on this list!

My dad loves Jimi Hendrix' version of "Gloria" in particular...but other versions of that song have been good, too.

I LOVE the Talking Heads' version of "Take Me To The River"! Oh, gosh...their version of that song rocks!

Devo's version of "Satisfaction" is...unique...but it's cool. :).

And of course, I adore hearing Bono sing "Can't Help Falling In Love With You"-the lyrics sound really sweet with the way he sings them...

Some people just know how to do a song justice.

Angela

Last edited:
Elvis Presley said:

8. "Take Me To the River"
(Al Green) by Talking Heads
A brilliant reconstruction -- a whole new song.

:up: very good song :up:

Elvis Presley said:

12. "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World"
(Judy Garland/ Louis Armstrong)
by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Never has lyrical butchering sounded so gorgeous, uplifting, irresistible.

I'm surprised and pleased to see this on here. His version is beautiful. :heart:

Good list.

the Clash - Police & Thieves
Saint Etienne - Only Love Can Break Your Heart

but that just be my opinion. I'll be honest, I haven't heard most of the list, but Hendrix's cover of 'All Along The Watchtower' is f**king excellent.

Last edited:
Doves -- Gone Til November
The Delgados -- Mr. Blue Sky
Ryan Adams -- Wonderwall
Travis -- Baby One More Time :shifty:
Elbow -- Independent Women :lol:

Aretha Franklin-"RESPECT."

Maybe the best and most well known cover song of all time. Originally performed by it's writer-Otis Redding.

Elvis Presley said:

7. "Gin & Juice"
(Snoop Dogg) by the Gourds
The cover that swallowed the oeuvre, it's impossible to play this gangsta-grass rendition too much.

I must express displeasure at the above. No one can touch Snoop Dogg's original.

I said NO ONE! :mad:

:p

joyfulgirl said:
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Tori Amos has deserves a mention.
:heart:

Pretty much everything off Strange Little Girls should be mentioned, I think! Especially Time, Rattlesnakes, and Real Men. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom