The Temple Bar-Where Everybody Knows your Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:
iPod batteries really don't last very long. That irks me. I need on of those little stands for my office, but I know it'll get stolen. And they're not cheap.

Do you have a desk with drawers that lock?

I love my little iLuv - it was a gift, but I was told it didn't break the bank and it works great so I can listen to my music here at work.

I :love: the word 'fucktard' . I hope to use it to somebody's face one day. Hmm, maybe Saturday. :hmm:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Sorry guys and gals, but we had our rivalry basketball game last night and it was a late game and then we got home and AI was on, and then my son couldn't sleep 'cos he was all keyed up from our big win....and I've been really tired since I got home from my long weekend....:shrug:

Sorry to leave April solo....I'll be back tonight!!!

:drool:

Congrats on the win! Was there a big brawl? :hyper:

I tend to prefer "fuckwit" to "fucktard". There's an English condescending overtone to "fuckwit" that "fucktard" seemingly lacks. When I insult someone I want it to be understood that not only do you ill me, but I give you the same recognition I would give to, say, a germ. I don't hate you per se, I just don't think you are really worthy of being spoken to by someone as enlightened as myself. I want my insult to go to the bone. I want emotional damage to result. I want to return in 10 years and see that scum in a bar, drunk and crying in a corner about what might have been. That's just how I roll.

Fucktard is more goofy. Like, "Hey, nice head, fucktard. lolz." You can get past that pretty quickly.

"Fuckwit" + English Accent = Doom.

UberBeaver said:
I tend to prefer "fuckwit" to "fucktard". There's an English condescending overtone to "fuckwit" that "fucktard" seemingly lacks. When I insult someone I want it to be understood that not only do you ill me, but I give you the same recognition I would give to, say, a germ. I don't hate you per se, I just don't think you are really worthy of being spoken to by someone as enlightened as myself. I want my insult to go to the bone. I want emotional damage to result. I want to return in 10 years and see that scum in a bar, drunk and crying in a corner about what might have been. That's just how I roll.

Fucktard is more goofy. Like, "Hey, nice head, fucktard. lolz." You can get past that pretty quickly.

:lol:

UberBeaver said:

:heart:

LMPA - Why was I not cc'd re: thing shopping :(

Actually, my favorite degoratory term of all time is "sucktooth"....heard it during some movie when I was a kid....some bad 70's film taking place in NYC....and it stuck in my head, and forever it will stay there.

shopping :combust:

this song came into my head this morning.
anyone remember it, damn it was bad but I liked it as a kid.

don't know what it's called... the shut up a your face song?

snowbunny00774 said:

:drool:

Fuck, I'm watching FNL and that buddy gerraghty is a real asshole :mad:

Wait - is this a new one or a repeat? I haven't seen it in a while, but I thought they were all repeats. If not, me and Mr. DVR need to have a chat.

Kat - is it sung with an Italian accent? (Or is that just something my sister and I used to sing to mock my mother's family?) I remember something like, "blah blah blah shuttupa you face" at the end of each stanza.

It's got a wiki page :giggle:

Shaddap You Face" is a song written and performed by Joe Dolce (also known as the Joe Dolce Music Theatre) in 1980. It went to Number 1 on the Australian pop charts in 1980. It subsequently also became a Number 1 hit in over 15 countries, selling over 4 million copies, with new cover versions being recorded every year. It has remained the most successful Australian produced single in Australian music history for 26 years, with sales of over 350,000 copies. It was Australia's first triple platinum recording - by the old count of 100,000 units = platinum, which has now changed to 75,000 units. In the UK, it famously stopped Ultravox from reaching Number 1 with "Vienna". In 2002, "Shaddap You Face" also overtook country legend, Slim Dusty's 22 year longevity record for 'The Pub With No Beer,' which went to Number 1 in 1957, was Australia's first gold record and only gold 80 rpm record.

The song was full of broad Italian humour and included the chorus "Whassamatta you, ey?/Gotta no respect/Whaddaya think you do, ey?/Why you looka so sad?/It'sa not so bad, ey/It'sa nice-a place/Ah shaddap you face." It reached number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on February 15, 1981 and stayed there for 3 weeks until March 8, 1981. It was also Number 1 in 15 countries with over 35 different foreign language cover versions. It remained the most successful song (in terms of sales) in Australian music history for 25 years until it was overtaken in 2005.

In the UK, the song was voted the 13th worst UK number one hit of all time, with Cliff Richard's "Millennium Prayer" being the number one, followed by Mr.Blobby's "Mr. Blobby" second, and the Tellytubbies' "Say Eh-oh" third[1].

Got Philk? said:

Good Lord what have I walked into here...

Does anyone here know of the band The Doves?

I know one song. Caught by the River. Is there more? If you haven't heard this song taht I mentioned, I recommend.

Hi!

Big Doves fan here, Phil.

They've released 3 albums....Caught by the River is from their 2nd album.

Check out the song "Catch the Sun", it's from their first album and the song that sort of put them on the map.

redkat said:
It's got a wiki page :giggle:

The song was full of broad Italian humour and included the chorus "Whassamatta you, ey?/Gotta no respect/Whaddaya think you do, ey?/Why you looka so sad?/It'sa not so bad, ey/It'sa nice-a place/Ah shaddap you face." [1].

YES! Oh man. I remember my father (the non-Italian, go figure) getting so mad when we sang this. At the time I tought it was because he hated the phrase "shut up" but looking back, it's probably because he was so sick of all the Italians. :happy:

I've seen them mentioned a lot in B&C but never checked em out.

Looking now

Beav my dad sang that song a lot, he was always singing mostly making up his own songs. We thought he was brilliant when we were children, now not so much :heart:

Back
Top Bottom