The Temple Bar: Setting Fire To The Third Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
Animation is extremely expensive to produce, but I'm sure you know that. Regardless of what path you go down, I wish you luck. And....please....never, ever let tv or film executives deter you, if you really believe in your work. Seriously. You're a long way away from that, I know, but still. Do you plan to pursue a related degree in college?

Indeed it is expensive, and a great challenge. Reality shows are the cheapest to produce, which is why they are (unfortunately) so common.

Don't worry, I won't let the man get me down. :wink: Music is easy to produce and market these days, and perhaps TV will be as well within the next 5-10 years.

And yes, I do intend on getting a related degree. Hell, if I could find a place where I could be creative and work on this stuff 24/7, I'd never leave. Getting a degree for that would be great.

It's always important to love what you do. None of the greats got where they were out of obligation. :wink:

~BrightestStar~ said:
Stick people can be funny and entertaining.

Agreed. But, not everyone would. Sadly. I ought to have added "stick figures" to my list of things I like.

I also like to draw a face on a finger at work and pretend that finger is one of my employees, or my new boss.

LemonMelon said:

Indeed it is expensive, and a great challenge. Reality shows are the cheapest to produce, which is why they are (unfortunately) so common.

Don't worry, I won't let the man get me down. :wink: Music is easy to produce and market these days, and perhaps TV will be as well within the next 5-10 years.

And yes, I do intend on getting a related degree. Hell, if I could find a place where I could be creative and work on this stuff 24/7, I'd never leave. Getting a degree for that would be great.

It's always important to love what you do. None of the greats got where they were out of obligation. :wink:

Glad you are planning to pursue this field in college, that'll help.

By the way, reality shows cost a ton to produce. Well, let me amend that. Some of them cost a ton, some do not. Survivor, Amazing Race, Hells Kitchen...those shows are expensive. Things like Surreal World, or other VH1 shitty reality shows are a lot cheaper. And it shows.

Yeah, never EVER take your eye off of the man.

12oz mouse is hilarious, but, definitely designed to have a cult/niche following. Of the 15 or so people I've shown some of the show to, 3 fucking loved it, the rest totally disliked it.

They're not expecting nor are they garnering strong ratings for that show. Which is ok, since the production costs are fairly low.

No spoken words said:
12oz mouse is hilarious, but, definitely designed to have a cult/niche following. Of the 15 or so people I've shown some of the show to, 3 fucking loved it, the rest totally disliked it.

They're not expecting nor are they garnering strong ratings for that show. Which is ok, since the production costs are fairly low.

Haha yeah, that's what I've figured. I have no idea what's about, but I've only given it passing glances anyway. :huh:

It's not really about too much. It's very VERY surreal. It hurts my head, and I mean that in a good way. It's very random, too. You really have to be of a certain mind set to like it. The people I showed it to that disliked it are all people whose taste and opinions I respect, but it just was too much, or too little, for them. Fuck 'em, it cracks me up.

No spoken words said:

I also like to draw a face on a finger at work and pretend that finger is one of my employees, or my new boss.

:lmao:

Oh Pokey, how I loveth thee.

And as for reality tv, despite prevading beleifs, according to my stats project last year they are not the prevading show, it is deffineatly all about the crime drama's.
The CSI monopoly, the Law & Orders, Numbers, Without a Trace, Criminal Minds, etc etc etc

Of course, my study was limited in scope...only looked at the neilson ratings during the sweeps seasons...

Hey, I never said reality shows were the most succesful, just on the expensive side, for the well done ones. Bear in mind, though, that American Idol, which is still a dominant force, is a reality show, so that's part of any analysis regarding TV genres that fare well.

Brighty, I could talk all day about the business of TV, but, since this is what I do for a living, and since it bores me even when at work, I'll shut up now. :)

Loveth, nice.

Brighty, be happy that you do not do this for a living.

The most lucrative genre out there right now is definitely the crime drama. People never, ever can get enough of it, and advertisers go ape shit for it. Most reality shows have come and gone, on the network side. Things like AI, Survivor and Amazing Race survived (no pun intended), but few others are left, and that's a good thing. Good for producers, good for writers, etc. More scripted shows = more writers = more incubation of future talent, etc.

Facts n' figures...:drool:

I promise, I'm still hanging around here, folks. I'm just doing two things at once. :wink:

Page three :rockon:

I am such a fucking dork.

Tre just was kind enough to upload Pearl Jam covering about a 1:00 of A Sort of Homecoming. That. obviously, is my favorite song of all time, and, to hear another band I love cover even a little of it really made me smile, and sort of, yeah, tear up, cos I get that way when I'm really happy. Fucking dork.

Thanks, Tre.

Tre, is not my comment about your ipending acting out in violence not greeting enough for you?
So demanding.

Bonjour mon cher.

No spoken words said:
Brighty, be happy that you do not do this for a living.

The most lucrative genre out there right now is definitely the crime drama. People never, ever can get enough of it, and advertisers go ape shit for it. Most reality shows have come and gone, on the network side. Things like AI, Survivor and Amazing Race survived (no pun intended), but few others are left, and that's a good thing. Good for producers, good for writers, etc. More scripted shows = more writers = more incubation of future talent, etc.

Dearest Pokey, I know this bores you so, but can I pick your brain with two questions that perhaps your wise and knowledgeable self may know the answers to?

Yes?

Great. :wink:

1) I recall hearing something about rumours of a writer's strike occuring sometime in the next year? And there is much panic about this? True or false?

2) Why the hell do I have to keep waiting through weeks of reruns to see new episodes of some of my favourite shows (House, Grey's and the like) Even during sweeps they did this! Why? What happened to the good ole days where you had a new ep a week during the season and then went into rerun season? :angry:

I like your questions, Bri. Especially the last one! :up:

I hate the constant interruptions on some TV shows. :angry: How hard is it to give us new episodes all in a row?! Gah.

I'm not here. Really. Going to bed now. :shifty:

Brighty, it actually does not bore me, but, I do not want to bore others. I'll give short replies, at least in this thread I will:

1) Very true.

2) There have always been breaks. Traditional TV season starts in Sep, ends in May. That's appx 36 weeks. Most series run 22-24 weeks, total. So that leaves gaps. The approach towards these gaps has changed, however, and that is why you now see long stretches with no new episode as opposed to the old way, which had a more scattered approach towards scheduling repeats. PM me if you want me to elaborate, or if you ever have any other questions, I'll answer anything.

ThoraSEB said:
I like your questions, Bri. Especially the last one! :up:

I hate the constant interruptions on some TV shows. :angry: How hard is it to give us new episodes all in a row?! Gah.

I'm not here. Really. Going to bed now. :shifty:

Very hard/impossible, actually. Nobody can do 22 shows in 22 weeks, there always have been repeats to fill out schedules.

No spoken words said:

1) Very true.

:shocked: How did I not hear about this?

:| I'd best start picketing now.
picket.gif

It may or may not happen. Current deal with the guild expires in October. We'll hear more about it in May, when the current season ends, as shows have to start writing and producing next season's shows in June/July. Could see an interesting domino effect come the Summer. We'll see. Writer's strike = more reality TV, so, cross your fingers.

No spoken words said:

Very hard/impossible, actually. Nobody can do 22 shows in 22 weeks, there always have been repeats to fill out schedules.

It makes sense. I'm just in a whiny mood tonight. :lol:

I'm really going now. Goodnight! :D

Thanks for the info, Pokey. I love insider information. :wink:

On page 4 now of my script...I've definitely loosened up. The beginning is always the most challenging, I've come to find.

Back
Top Bottom