The Temple Bar ~ "Kaffy is a wicked, wicked tease"..and so is BoMac.. UYMFA!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:
[/historylesson]

:wink:

History :drool:

Did you see my history related thread in B&C? :shifty:

Anyway, I'm looking for a Crosley record player that I saw before on ebay... brb I'll ask your opinion on it. :p

bono_212 said:
when I turn the volume all the way down on the stereo, the record is still audible, why's that?

I'm entirely positive and someone else could probably explain it much better than I, but it has to do with the physical properties of the record, and the stylus going over the grooves...it makes a sound, it's just not amplified. The speakers are what create the volume and amplification effect.

VP - there was an Oprah episode recently where Nate remodeled the family's kitchen. This was an original 60s/70s style, and even had a record player built into the wall. It pulled down - never saw one like it, LOL!

VintagePunk said:

I'm entirely positive and someone else could probably explain it much better than I, but it has to do with the physical properties of the record, and the stylus going over the grooves...it makes a sound, it's just not amplified. The speakers are what create the volume and amplification effect.

:shh: I actually did know that, and explained it to a friend, but it still blows my mind that it does that.

VintagePunk said:

This is a copy of the old cabinet model, the top is a lid that you lift where you'd find the record player and controls. They didn't have drawers for storage like this one does. Looks like this ones sells now at some UK store:

fol039666.jpg

:up:

My family has one that's very similar to that.

Zootlesque said:

History :drool:

Did you see my history related thread in B&C? :shifty:

Anyway, I'm looking for a Crosley record player that I saw before on ebay... brb I'll ask your opinion on it. :p

No I didn't. I'll go look in a few.

I remember a year or two ago we talked about you getting a turntable/record player. You still haven't?? :tsk:

Lila64 said:
VP - there was an Oprah episode recently where Nate remodeled the family's kitchen. This was an original 60s/70s style, and even had a record player built into the wall. It pulled down - never saw one like it, LOL!

Omg, I've never heard of that! They must have been all high-tech, back in the day. :lol:

Zootlesque said:

:lmao: Did we talk about it? No I still haven't. :sigh: In the middle I moved and everything to Jersey... I was busy. :p

Anyway here it is..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSLEY-CR67-TU...oryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:tsk:

Yeah, I remember telling you about mine. I went without one for years, but then Sarah was digging through my albums and wanted to listen to a bunch of them, so I got her one that Christmas, I think it was around $120 at Radio Shack. I actually had trouble finding one at all. :huh:

Do you have a stereo, or home theatre system? Because for a music lover like you, you probably won't be happy with the sound quality of that one. I'd advise you to do what I did, buy a turntable. i have mine hooked up to my home theatre.

But VP... what if I cannot connect the turntable to my stereo for some reason?? What if it doesn't have the right jack or whatever.. I hate that shit!

Zootlesque said:
But VP... what if I cannot connect the turntable to my stereo for some reason?? What if it doesn't have the right jack or whatever.. I hate that shit!

I think the connections on turntables are pretty much universal. On my home theatre receiver, I think it's hooked up to auxiliary in, or audio in, or something like that. For audio receivers (if there's even a distinction between audio and dvd receivers, I'm not sure), I'd be shocked if they didn't have some sort of input for a turntable. You'd have to look at the back of it.

OK! So this guy's a bastard:

No where on the item description did it state that returns were not
accepted. Therefore should I simply mail the item back to the return
address for a refund? I am unsatisfied with my purchase and entitled to a
refund (regardless of the circumstances and despite the writing LP which
wasn't a very clear indicator that this was not a CD) as long as the item
is returned unopened in orginal packaging.

ThoraSEB said:
:lol: Oh man, is he ever!

I especially love his sentence about how LP isn't a clear indicator that it isn't a CD. :rolleyes: Good god!

I don't think I'm going to win this one :sigh:

Meh just let him return it I guess. Dont refund until you have the item back in your hand.

Sicy said:
If you said it was a record and you sold a record, that's the buyers fault for not reading. You shouldnt have to refund.

I have to agree here bono_212. I'm sure Amazon would love you to be nice, but the real question is, when the vinyl comes back broken or scratched, will Amazon reimburse you? Because if it does come back broken and you've already refunded, you have no recourse.

I wouldn't refund a cent until you get back your product in original condition, it's a record, and records are very delicate.

gvox said:

I have to agree here bono_212. I'm sure Amazon would love you to be nice, but the real question is, when the vinyl comes back broken or scratched, will Amazon reimburse you? Because if it does come back broken and you've already refunded, you have no recourse.

I wouldn't refund a cent until you get back your product in original condition, it's a record, and records are very delicate.

Yeah, I'm going down that road I guess. But like I said, if there's even a slight hole in the plastic that guy's not getting a dime. I've seen that record go for twice what I sold it to him for.

bono212, vp, zoots, just cuz I'm old skool like that :lol:

turntables/record players...

here was my first one, as a child. note built-in shitty speaker:

fprecply.jpg

then in the living room we had one of those big jobbies that look like furniture..

of course then in the 80s there was the 'component stereo' system where you had a reciever/tuner, a tape deck, a turntable (and later a CD unit), which were all hooked up via rca cables and finally the audio signal sent to seperate speakers via speaker wire

then when djing took over my life :lol: two of these ($5-600 each):

technics_sl1200mk2.jpg

and one of these to mix with:

cm200mkiii_topctrls_med.jpg

it's funny you guys say you cant imagine a record player without speakers...i can barely rememmber having one *with speakers...once you got serious about vinyl, it was all about separate pieces :wink:

for a really good turntable you can pay anywhere from $1000-300,000. Seriously!

If I was to recommend anything I'd say get a simple USB turntable, that way you can convert your LPs very easily and listen to them that way and not have to touch the vinyl. Yeah I'm kinda nerdy like that, I have a thing for vinyl :lol:

I have a line-in cable that connects to the comp, maybe the qualities not the best but it gets the music on my computer, and that's all I care about. Scrobbling is my passion :reject:

Back
Top Bottom