The Temple Bar - Invade Canada? Then you get the snow, too...UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting to be mindfucked by campaign ads of the two candidates for six weeks.

No other state will undergo anything close to said advertising.

Drea - Hope your Mom is doing better! :hug:

RavenBlue - did you see the animated gif I posted for you a couple pages back?

Canadians - sux about the snow. Come south for a visit. It was t-shirt weather here today. Low 70s :happy:

From earlier this evening:

DSC02047.jpg

And it's still coming down. :happy:

Obama kicked Hillary's butt in the caucus in Wyoming :yippie: 61%-38%

The delegate breakdown SHOULD be Obama 8, Clinton 4.

Mississippi is tuesday, then we have a loooooooong wait until PA. Have fun being inundated with ads, pfan :happy:

To the Canadians: Sorry about the snow :madspit:

U2Dem, my English teacher is the head of the Young Republicans Club, God bless her.

However, I told her it would be a good idea to, as a person with position, add to our school announcements the information about having to register by March 24th, and she thought it was a great idea. She also said most of the history teachers are on top of it already, but that she would make an announcement for it.

phillyfan26 said:
U2Dem, my English teacher is the head of the Young Republicans Club, God bless her.

However, I told her it would be a good idea to, as a person with position, add to our school announcements the information about having to register by March 24th, and she thought it was a great idea. She also said most of the history teachers are on top of it already, but that she would make an announcement for it.

Awesome! :applaud:

The next step will to be sure people actually vote. :up:

:scream: :scream: :sigh: :crazy:

Bad as it is today, the future looks worse in environmental study

Charles Mandel, Canwest News Service
Published: Friday, March 07

Fed up with unpredictable winter storms cancelling air flights, closing highways and dumping enormous amounts of precipitation, like Saturday?

Too bad.

Canadian scientists say get used to it.

In a major forthcoming report on Canada's changing climate, scientists warn of everything from increased severe storm activity in Atlantic Canada to hotter summers and poorer air quality in urban Ontario.
British Columbia may face retreating glaciers and snow loss on its mountains, causing potential water shortages. The Prairie provinces will continue to struggle with drought, impacting agriculture rurally and potentially causing water rationing in urban areas.

The 500-page report is the work of 145 leading Canadian scientists. They've examined the current and future risks climate change presents coast to coast and what they have to say isn't comforting.

But it's not necessary to wait for the future to experience intense storms. A taste of that can be had this weekend as yet another major system moves in from the Gulf of Mexico.

This one will dump up to 50 centimetres of snow over Ontario and Quebec and bring winds of up to 70 kilometres an hour, as it churns over Central Canada through Saturday and into Sunday. The same system will drop 40 to 70 millimetres of precipitation along the Nova Scotia side of the Bay of Fundy and send rain and freezing rain into New Brunswick.

And, yes, as travellers head to the airports for March break, it's very likely some flights will be cancelled and traffic will be snarled once again.
Perhaps one of the people least surprised by the wicked weekend weather, is Norm Catto, a geographer at Memorial University in Newfoundland and one of the climate report's lead authors.

On Friday, he said the intensity of weather events is increasing.

When hurricane Juan swept through Atlantic Canada in 2003 the storm surge didn't coincide with high tide. But next time it could and the level of the water could be 40 to 50 centimetres higher.

"Are we ready for that?" Catto asked. "That's the sort of question we're trying to ask here and get people to consider."

Quentin Chiotti, a senior scientist with Pollution Probe in Toronto and another study author, echoed Catto's concern. In Ontario, for example, intense dumps of precipitation could lead to floods of the sort Toronto and Peterborough endured in 2005.

Chiotti said such floods illustrated that much of the region's critical infrastructure was based on standards developed following hurricane Hazel in 1954 and is in need of updating.

Like many of the scientists, Chiotti warned that the weather will become increasingly unpredictable. "When you put more heat into the atmosphere, you're going to start getting more wacky weather, and that's going to be more variable from season to season and year to year."

Catto said Northern Canada faces permafrost erosion, retreating coastlines and problems with maintaining the ice roads that provide vital transportation links in winter.

On the Prairies, drought could potentially affect the power supply. Problems with water reservoirs could leave utilities without sufficiently high levels of water to generate the amount of power required

"Each of the regions does have its own challenges," Catto said.

Suren Kulshreshtha, a professor in the University of Saskatchewan's bioresource policy department and another report author, agrees. "I think the only things these models are telling us is there will be a likely increase in the events of extremes."

People in Ontario and much of Quebec know all about "extremes" as they cope with the sixth major snow storm of the season Saturday.

The storm, which originated in the U.S. South and gathered power as it moved north, was expected to dump between 30 and 50 centimetres of snow on parts of each province.

As much as 30 cm of snow was expected in Toronto, up to 40 cm in Ottawa and maybe even more -mixed with ice pellets -was anticipated to cover the streets of Montreal.

Alittle more than 171 cm of snow already has been recorded this winter at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

The highest recorded snowfall for a Toronto winter was the 207 cm, which fell in 1938.

The worst winter recorded in the nation's capital was that of 1970-71, when 444.1 cm of snow fell, only about 83 cm more than already has fallen so far this winter.

Environment Canada says usually at this time of the year, temperatures begin to rise to an average in the 1 C to 4 C range in Ontario, but the forecast for mid-March likely would be filled with temperatures in the -3 C range for many parts of the region.

In Montreal, the city was drifting depressingly close to matching or even breaking the record of 383 centimetres of snowfall set in 1971. So far this season, the city has recorded 316 centimetres as of Thursday.

© Canwest News Service 2008

U2democrat said:
what are some good local PA newspaper websites?

I use philly.com, which is a combined site of the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Daily News.

:hyper:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm soooooooooo happy with my Carolina Tarheels!!! More Duke tears on senior night!!!! Ahhhhhhh hahahahahahaha!!!!!

:yippie:

:heart:UNC:heart:

:up:

Carolina basketball is a religion in my family...all the way back to the beginning of Carolina basketball. We've worshipped Carolina Blue for generations.

So it's always beautiful to see the Devils lose, especially on their senior night :cute:

Take that, Cameron Crazies! *Insertmooningsmileyhere*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom