The Temple Bar: Home of the UYMFA Gang ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened to a couple of songs when she was playing it, one of them was one featuring Depp and Rickman, I think? I could be wrong, but to me, in an atmospheric movie like that, I would think that character of voice (does that phrase even make sense?) is far more important than quality of voice.

I should probably see it before I critique or form judgments though. I confess, I rarely see movies in theatres, I wait for dvds. I haven't been in one since Sept to see a live simulcast of David Gilmour playing Royal Albert Hall and previewing his dvd. Before that, I believe it was to see Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Wow. That was in '05.

Yeah, Depp and Rickman have a duet. Rickman was good, as always. Depp did a fine job conveying his character and whatnot through song, that wasn't a problem. I just prefer a richer voice for musicals. But when you're translating them to the big screen, you're probably limited in how many big-name actors are also good singers.

I'd love to see Hugh Jackman in a big-screen musical. :drool:

I used to go to movies in the theater all the time, and then stopped for a few years, seeing everything on DVD. But I realized how much I missed the theater experience, so I've been going a lot.

I tend to go to matinees, so they're cheaper, and it's very rare that I sit in an audience that's noisy or general pains in the ass like people like to complain about.

I remember seeing Jackman on Inside the Actor's Studio and I felt like I'd just watched a one-man broadway performance....and then I was like "and that dude's Wolverine".

corianderstem said:

I'd love to see Hugh Jackman in a big-screen musical. :drool:

I used to go to movies in the theater all the time, and then stopped for a few years, seeing everything on DVD. But I realized how much I missed the theater experience, so I've been going a lot.

I tend to go to matinees, so they're cheaper, and it's very rare that I sit in an audience that's noisy or general pains in the ass like people like to complain about.

Sarah was just reading along, and said to tell you about this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0878801/

Apparently, the show was cancelled after two episodes, but Jackman sang in one, and was really good.

I tend not to have the attention span to sit straight through a movie. At home, I pause and get up and do other things, and it generally takes me 3 or 4 hours to get through a 2 hr movie. :reject:

VintagePunk said:
I walk around pretty much constantly with a soundtrack playing in my head at all times. I've always just assumed that it's normal, but is it, really? Does anyone else do that, or am I mentally ill? :uhoh:

Constantly. In fact, starting last year, I began writing down every song stuck in my head everyday in my school provided day planner/assignment record thing. I think if I went back and recorded them all, I could keep tally of the songs most frequently in my head.

Yeah, I heard about the debacle that was Viva Laughlin. :wink:

I'd have love to have seen Jackman in "The Boy From Oz," but I live 3,000 miles from Broadway, so that was right out.

phillyfan26 said:

Constantly. In fact, starting last year, I began writing down every song stuck in my head everyday in my school provided day planner/assignment record thing. I think if I went back and recorded them all, I could keep tally of the songs most frequently in my head.

Yay, another one! Although your listing them sort of points to OCD over and above anything I've ever experienced. Just sayin'. ;)

It required no effort. In fact, I began doing it as procrastination from classes. I only keep track during schooldays.

snowbunny00774 said:

moi aussi.

This is one of the many ways in which I've made myself unmarriageable. No one else could ever stand to watch a movie with me. Oh well.

Gotta go and get some work done. Damn me and my setting achievable goals for myself for the holidays. :angry:

No spoken words said:

Go to Vorsprung durch Technik and post, someone in there will know.

Yes, but instead of "brain" put CPU and instead of "transplant" put "replace". That way Lies can help you.

Was this a "bad hangover, remove brain please" type transplant or "I'm an idiot and I can't stop doing stupid shit" type of transplant. Personally, I prefer the former because they clear up in a day or two. The latter can stick around for ages. :(

VintagePunk said:

Sometimes I'll get a song where I only really know one line of lyrics, and it'll be that line over, and over and over. :crack:

For a few days before Christmas, it was McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime. I don't really know it, it was just "we're sim-ply hav-ing a wonderfulchristmastime" over and over. That was pleasant. :mad:

Thanks, guess what is stuck in my head now, tyvm :angry:

Before that, the song stuck in my head was a song on the VH1 Top 100 songs of the 90s. And Beck came on with 'Loser'. Maddy bought it on iTunes, and we kept singing the chorus. Over and over. And over. :der:

And snow, I hear you need a brain transplant. This came to mind:
young_frankenstein_doc_small.jpg

UberBeaver said:
Pfan - if you were to change the first post, I wouldn't mind. I don't know if I've ever read the thing, actually. Ask bri and zoots.

I don't know who the authorities are on that, though. This Bar lacks clear leadership. This Bar needs to step up its game.

I seem to have developed a little wine allergy over the past year or so. It makes me all stuffed up. :(

Does anyone have this happen to them with wine? Is taking an antishistamine prior to downing the stuff helpful? Or incredibly dangerous to mix the two?

I wouldn't be driving anyway, but I have a nice bottle of champagne I'd like to have a little of on NYE ... otherwise it'll sit in my fridge until the end of time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom