The Temple Bar - Going POWERJUICE...UYMFA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, there was a piece on him in my local paper as well as Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday. It's a good story, especially when you consider that he's literally a rocket scientist(or something close to it).

If it's written by Michael Farber, by the way, the story is guaranteed to be a great one. He's one of my favourite hockey writers around.

I always look forward to reading SI on the weekends.

When I was in my early teens, I actually read SI, Sport Magazine, Inside Sports, Baseball Digest, Sporting News and Football Digest. (Along with playing sports, reading books and such. I just never did homework. :) )

The best pieces in SI are ones like I'm expecting the Juneau piece to be.....capturing a more human side of a current or former athlete. I am so tired of the steroid bullshit and dogfighting and arrests and videotaping opponents signals and on and on....so, it's good to read one of the myriad positive stories about athletes.

Diemen - we share a similar allergy to crustaceans (if I'm reading you rite) - and I similarly make up for that with heavy doses of mollusks. :up:

PS - I've been noticing a shift in the tone of this place...has Interference become overrun by wacko Canucks? Particularly us Frenchies?
:wink:

BonoManiac said:
The Habs honoured him recently with his own portrait in the Bell Centre media lounge, alongside other longtime hockey journalists in Montreal.

Is there a figure in Habs lore, from a media standpoint, who is legendary, be it writer, PA announcer, broadcaster, etc? Considering their rich history, I'm sure there was/is, but, I'd like to know who it is.

^ Yes. Red Fisher. He's currently writing at the Montreal Gazette but made his debut in 1954 for the Montreal Star and then switched to the Gazette when the Star stopped its presses in 1979.

His first Canadiens game was the infamous Richard Riot game on St. Patrick's Day in 1955.

One great story that I heard about him is that one time after a game a few years ago he asked a player, I think it may have been Mark Recchi, for his comments and that player just gave him the standard sports clichés. He literally put down his notebook and walked away, saying that he'll only talk to him in the future if he stays away from clichés.

ETA: And Dick Irwin is another one. He retired some years ago, but was THE voice of my childhood. I would watch the game on TV with the volume on mute and listen to Irwin on the radio.

Last edited:
There is no team in sports like the Canadiens. From fans, legends, champioships, announcers, writers, a city in perpetual love/hate relationship with their team, to a country who has to love them even when they wish they didn't...the Canadiens will always be #1. Always.

BonoManiac said:
^ Yes. Red Fisher. He's currently writing at the Montreal Gazette but made his debut in 1954 for the Montreal Star and then switched to the Gazette when the Star stopped its presses in 1979.

His first Canadiens game was the infamous Richard Riot game on St. Patrick's Day in 1955.

One great story that I heard about him is that one time after a game a few years ago he asked a player, I think it may have been Mark Recchi, for his comments and that player just gave him the standard sports clichés. He literally put down his notebook and walked away, saying that he'll only talk to him in the future if he stays away from clichés.

ETA: And Dick Irwin is another one. He retired some years ago, but was THE voice of my childhood. I would watch the game on TV with the volume on mute and listen to Irwin on the radio.

Thanks, BoMac.

It's funny, BM. If there had been an Interference when I was in my teens, my avatar would have rivalled yours. We'd be fighting over who was the bigger fan heh. I spent most of my junior high to high school Saturday nights hunkered down in the basement, my wet stinky hockey gear strung out everywhere (incl one sopping wet Canadiens jersey, no. 44) watching HNIC in french, understanding most and not caring about what I didn't, just so I could see my beloved Habs play. On a b&w with rabbit ears, no less.

No. 44 for Stéphane Richer? I loved him as a kid, but my idol growing up was Patrick Roy. I had his #33 jersey, countless hockey cards, posters etc...I was very disappointed when he was traded, but moved on of course. :sad:

BonoManiac said:
Well said Gabriel. :up: We'll just have to wait and see what Elfa and Drea think about that. :wink:

I worked with a guy at Fox, who is Canadian and who loves Hockey to death. He is a life-long Leafs fan, and under no circumstances would he ever root for the Habs. His hatred for them trumped all other considerations.

I can relate to being on the other end of that, being a life-long, die-hard fan of the winningest and most reviled franchise in sports.

:shrug:

BonoManiac said:
Well said Gabriel. :up: We'll just have to wait and see what Elfa and Drea think about that. :wink:

As long as they aren't playing TO or keeping them out of a playoff spot I'll cheer for Montreal anytime :wink: One of my earliest hockey memories was watching HNIC upstairs on my parents' small black and white tv in the very early 80s and watching Les Habs play the Nordiques... and the bench clearing brawls that more than occasionally occurred in said games :lol:

I cheer for the Leafs first, then the rest of the Cdn teams... then one or two others (Minnesota for example, since I went to school an hour and a half from the border ;))

Evening bar :wave:

Whenever the playoffs roll around I always hope that a Canadian team, provided the Habs are no longer playing, can go as deep as possible. Any Canadian team that is, besides the Maple Leafs. That's heresy where I come from.:wink:

BonoManiac said:
Whenever the playoffs roll around I always hope that a Canadian team, provided the Habs are no longer playing, can go as deep as possible. Any Canadian team that is, besides the Maple Leafs. That's heresy where I come from.:wink:

That makes a lot more sense to me.

Hey, Drea.

Yeah me too...actually my pick would have been #4, but it was taken, so Richer's, which was the same number, just twice, was what I went with...my real idols growing up were Lafleur, Gainey, Robinson, Carbonneau, etc etc

I'll be nice and not say what I think of the Yankees NSW, but I'm sure I've said it in here before :lol:

BM - here the heresy is just as much cheering for Ottawa as Montreal, though the rivalry with the Habs is much more historic :wink:

Gabe :wave: Hear anything else from the Cineplex people yet about U2 3D out in the burbs?

Hi Drea, it doesn't look good. Officially we are not getting in it the burbs, period. I've rattled as many cages as I possibly can, I think. I should have taken the kids downtown when I had the chance :(

Quick story:

I have a ton of family up in New England, and we used to visit a lot when I was a kid.

One year, my Dad and Mom went our for breakfast, and left my and my sister at my Grandparents....anyway, they come back, and my Dad is all giddy....eating breakfast at an IHOP outside of Boston were the Habs. This was 1976 , so they were winning Cups again, and I was 5.

So, my Dad gives me the autographs, they are all on one page, forget if it was a menu or what.....and he's like "this is one of the most amazing group of hockey players ever, so, cherish this!!!".

I think that 10, maybe 15 minutes later, I went ahead and ate the autographs. I was an odd kid.

ETA - They were there cos they were playing the Bruins, sorry....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom