The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Got Philk?
GO CUBS! next year...

Well, I see Piniella believes in his team for next year. :huh:
There time was THIS year !! :yes:
It was totally ridiculous to see that Cubs recap after the game where Piniella was talking about how
he's looking forward to the Cubs next year becoming contenders again for the championship. :ohmy:

Of course, Piniella's gonna sound encouraging ... I doubt he would put ANY blame on anyone now.
No one's hoping for next year at the moment ... everyone is still in shock from THIS year. :eek:
It was just a sad situation overall that the Cubs couldn't at least pull out 1 game in their favor.
But, to be swept ?? :tsk:
The Cubs got too over-confident AND blew it.
Plain and simple, bottom line !! :up:

:lol:

I hope I didn't jinx my enjoyment of the Angels blowing it in the first round.

Is it pretty rare for 3 teams to go down in sweeps in the first round of playoffs? (Assuming the Yankees lose today, that is.)

Great job by the Sox!

Thankfully, with the ALCS not starting until this friday, I'll actually be able to study this week.

4 runs in 3 games for the Angies.

Great job once again by GM Stan D. Pat getting Vlad the Impaler some offensive help.

If I were an Angies fan I'd demand he be fired.

Gosh, Boston looks great. Trotting Schilling in Game 3 is fucking nice.

Yanks look much better tonight, I sure hope they can keep this up and advance. If they do win tonight, Byrd is going tomorrow, and that fucking guy they should be able to hit. For the Yanks, I'd not be surprised if they turned to Wang on short rest, then if it goes 5 they go with Pettitte and bypass Mussina.

No spoken words said:
Gosh, Boston looks great. Trotting Schilling in Game 3 is fucking nice.

Yanks look much better tonight, I sure hope they can keep this up and advance. If they do win tonight, Byrd is going tomorrow, and that fucking guy they should be able to hit. For the Yanks, I'd not be surprised if they turned to Wang on short rest, then if it goes 5 they go with Pettitte and bypass Mussina.

If I were in charge of Cleveland, I'd give serious consideration to starting CC Sabathia in Game 4 on short rest. If he gets blown out early, just concede the game, have Byrd mop up, save the good arms in the bullpen and go all-out in Game 5 with Carmona, Betancourt and Perez.

Last edited:
Whew. 4 sweeps in the Divisional Series just would not have been cool. :)

Please let it be Wang tomorrow, with Mussina ready if Wang pitches poorly.

Great job by Hughes tonight.

No spoken words said:
Whew. 4 sweeps in the Divisional Series just would not have been cool. :)

Hey, you guys take your time with that series. 15 innings in Game 4 and another 12 innings in Game 5 would be fine with me.

Are you secretly rooting for the Yankees, so we can play each other, or, do you hate the Yanks so much that you just want them out, now?

I have to admit that when the Yanks and Sox are both in, I root for Boston advance if it seems like the Yanks will advance.

This year, I'd prefer that the Yankees advance because I think Boston would have a tougher time with Cleveland.

speedracer said:

If I were in charge of Cleveland, I'd give serious consideration to starting CC Sabathia in Game 4 on short rest. If he gets blown out early, just concede the game, have Byrd mop up, save the good arms in the bullpen and go all-out in Game 5 with Carmona, Betancourt and Perez.

I agree with this.

speedracer said:

If I were in charge of Cleveland, I'd give serious consideration to starting CC Sabathia in Game 4 on short rest.

Is it really short rest? He pitched Thursday, right? I mean, it is three games later, but with the breaks and all? I think I am having trouble with the baseball maths.

It is a good plan though!

zoney! said:

Is it really short rest? He pitched Thursday, right? I mean, it is three games later, but with the breaks and all? I think I am having trouble with the baseball maths.

It is a good plan though!
On a normal 5th day, he'd pitch Tuesday after pitching Thursday. So it is short rest, which makes me think Frenchdog Yao Wang may be in trouble today.

Last edited:
I understand why people think CC should be brought back tonight, but he didn't have the best game the other night. He kind of grinded things out. He's probably better than Byrd even on short rest, but I wonder if based on how Carmona pitched if Wedge would ever skip over CC in favor of Carmona in a game 5 situation.

I'd not toss Sabathia today. If their backs were to the wall, I might, but, 3 days rest for a power pitcher usually spells disaster. And, as was posted earlier, he did not look all that great in the first place during Game 1.

As for Wang, there's the baseball cliche that sinkerball pitchers pitch well with a tired arm, so the 3 days rest could benefit him. Regardless, I prefer him on 3 days rest than Mussina.

If I'm Cleveland I pitch Carmona in game 5 if there is one. The only way to do that and not risk losing your team by snubbing the CY favorite Sabathia is to pitch CC tonight & Fausto on Wednesday. The Tribe need 1 win, and their best chance of that is with Carmona...especially since if they lose tonight they'll see Pettitte again, and he shut them down completely on Friday.

And NSW, I'm normally up for Sox/Yanks but honestly this year I'm rooting for Cleveland. I just need a break from the media frenzy, the 5 hour games with my stomach in knots the whole time etc. And though my head says Cleveland is a tougher matchup, with the aces 1-2, my heart knows what the Yankees are capable of...and losing the ALCS to NY this year would be particularly painful, as I think the AL champ is a heavy WS favorite this year.

No spoken words said:
3 days rest for a power pitcher usually spells disaster.

2736990.jpg

curt-schilling-action.jpg

Sure, throwing CC on 3 days rest is a risk, but it's gotta be better than throwing Paul Byrd out there. Crappy RHP + lefty power hitters + short fence in right = not good.

Last edited:
Yow. Might be time to summon Mussina from the fire station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom