The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Game Sweep! Hopefully we can keep this momentum going through Sept. I would have been happy with a split against the Mets, but I'll sure as hell take all 4 games!

i normaly don't bitch at managers and their decisions, but, well, willie can suck it.

you send the message at the begining of the game that the game isn't important enough to you to start your A lineup, giving 3 guys days off (4 if you count milledge who had been starting but whom i hate and was glad to see out)... then you decide in the 8th inning that the game IS important enough to force billy wagner, coming off what was basicaly a 5 game run where he hadn't pitched because of a "dead arm," to do something that he's not used to doing... and any met, phillie or astro fan knows by now that billy wagner sucks at doing things that he's not used to doing.

on top of that, he throws more than 50 pitches trying to get a 6 our save, which he hasn't done in 8 years mind you, which effectively makes him unuseable for the weekend series in atlanta.

philadelphia very well could be in first place by the end of the weekend.

i'm disgusted... at least we have david wright.

i said it at the begining of the season and i'll repeat it because i'm too lazy to go back to the old thread and look it up... if the mets don't win the division willie randolph should be fired.

but on the flip side... i can finally see what the phillie fans have been bitching about all, um, well for years now. that decision to intentionaly walk reyes with 1 out to load the bases, with a fast runner coming up in endy chavez who, combined with the speed of reyes at first, would make a double play very hard to get... well, it was one of the stupidest in game situational decisions i have ever seen in my life.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

philadelphia very well could be in first place by the end of the weekend.

A week ago I thought we'd be in tough to keep up with the Padres for the Wild Card.

Now, we have a chance to win the damn pennant.

It's a good day to be a Phillies fan :D

ETA: We lost Freddy Garcia for the rest of the season today, too. He's a free agent after the season and god knows we aren't re-signing him. One damn win. What a waste of 10 million bucks :huh:

My favorite Mariners commercial was the reworking of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song, fit for Freddy Garcia making his way in Seattle.

Good times.

Well that was a nice 3-game kick in the nuts...still 5 games up but it sure doesn't feel like it. The bats really crapped the bed in NY.

And watching JD Drew's pathetic at bats just sucks the life out of me. Literally, I can feel it leaking out slowly, bit by bit. He could at least walk...grr.

At this rate, it would have been better if JD Drew had gotten hurt for the year so Ellsbury could have been up the whole time.

It's a good thing the rosters expand tomorrow. The Sox need a jolt for the stretch, and I think Jacoby Ellsbury is the person to do it.

Hewson said:
Whats the record for taking a called 3rd strike in a season.
377, by JD Drew, 2007...and still climbing.

He's got to be close to that number with his flailing, wimpy swings and misses on balls in the dirt.

His AB agains Farnsworth on Wednesday was just his entire year in one minute...3-0 count, takes 2 pitches down the middle, then punches at a pitch in the dirt for the K.

Doesn't help that he looks like he could care less.

Oh and can I say I am rapidly learning to hate Joba Chamberlain? Though it seems like everybody throws at Kevin Youkilis.

CTU2fan said:
Doesn't help that he looks like he could care less.

Exactly. Everyone gets fired up over a bad call, bad AB, whatever - but not JD. To go from a right fielder like Trot Nixon, who would run through a wall if he had to, to JD Drew is just terrible.

but on the flip side... i can finally see what the phillie fans have been bitching about all, um, well for years now. that decision to intentionaly walk reyes with 1 out to load the bases, with a fast runner coming up in endy chavez who, combined with the speed of reyes at first, would make a double play very hard to get... well, it was one of the stupidest in game situational decisions i have ever seen in my life.

Nevermind the fact that it was the bullpen pitching.

Alfonseca is a piece of crap.

last week at this time: Mets vs. Red Sox world series!
today: shit!

You know, the Red Sox could get swept by the Yankees again and still have a 2-game lead. (The Mets could drop their remaining series against Philly and be only 1 game out.)

As for JD Drew, he has been a steaming pile of crap for pretty much the entire season.

Last edited:
i know... it's only a temporary panic out of utter disgust.

i'm just waiting for the mets to finally show that grity, heart and desire that they showed all season last year... they've been in first place the entire season despite never winning more than 4 games in a row.

you'd like to see them take control of the division, not just cruise to the playoffs based on the fact that everyone else sucks. hopefully this was a serious wake up call and they finally play with some nuts down in atlanta.

CTU2fan said:

Oh and can I say I am rapidly learning to hate Joba Chamberlain? Though it seems like everybody throws at Kevin Youkilis.

I really don't think Joba was trying to throw at Youk. (If he was, he didn't do a very good job.) Both pitches sailed out of his hand from the get-go, making it fairly easy for Youk to get out of the way.

A real purpose pitch would be like the one Pedro threw at Karim Garcia in the 2003 ALCS, the one he threw at Hideki Matsui in the 2004 ALCS, or the one he threw at Derek Jeter in (insert game here).

Super terrific game after 8 innings for Minnesota vs. KC...do not tune in!

back090107.jpg

John Lackey said:
Heheh. Can't wait till the Angels meet the Bosox in the playoffs. Bitches are going down.:wink:
Hi John, I see here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=lackejo01&t=p

that you have pitched twice against Boston this season, on April 13 you lost 10-1, and on August 17, you lost 8-4...not so sure I'd be shooting my mouth off if I sucked as much as you against the Red Sox.

John Lackey said:
Heheh. Can't wait till the Angels meet the Bosox in the playoffs. Bitches are going down.:wink:

Second-worst gimmick account EVAR.

By a 23 year old rookie in his 2nd ever start (only one other guy has done that in the modern era).

I got some funny stares in the public tv lounge when I screamed at espn after that curveball (also some funny looks when I stood there begging espn to cut to it). I'm so happy for him, he's a great kid.

Pedroia also has to get major props for his no-hitter-saving play. ROY!!

ROY for sure, what an amazing game. The pick me up Red Sox Nation needed after this week, and hopefully the spark to put the team back on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom