The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Drew in Japan would have been out-of-sight and out-of-mind

zoney! said:

Chumpy?

Daryll Strawberry
Rey Ordonez
Leon Durham
Matt Nokes
J.D. Drew
Jason Varitek (O.K....he is CHUMPY! ;) )
Jack Morris
Matt Nokes
Derek Lowe
Kevin Millar

They are owned by Bill Murray and Mike Veeck, son of Bill Veeck. The team has thrived five miles away from a major league stadium for 15 years now.

I enjoyed watching Drew there - despite his "holdout." I enjoyed watching Leon Durham and Matty Nokes realize they were done. I enjoyed lighting a cigarette for Daryll Strawberry at his locker after he had hit three homers one night (this was before his return to the Yankees). I enjoyed watching Ila Borders become the first female to play men's professional baseball.

Chumpy? hardly. Even with a pig as a ballboy.

That's not the point -- the point is that if a player blows off the major league team that drafts him, I don't see the difference between playing in college, playing in the Independent League, playing in Timbuktu, or joining the Peace Corps.

randhail said:
He's been a very pleasant surprise his last few outings. I have to give him credit for that. He's picked it up whereas Wake seems to have hit a bump in the road. If this trend continues, I wonder if that could change the thinking that Tavarez is the odd man out when Lester comes back.

I'd have to say no. Even when he has a good night, Tavarez regularly finishes in the 5th or 6th inning. By contrast, there have been plenty of times where Wakefield has given up a bunch of runs but still made it to the 7th.

speedracer said:
That's not the point -- the point is that if a player blows off the major league team that drafts him, I don't see the difference between playing in college, playing in the Independent League, playing in Timbuktu, or joining the Peace Corps.

I really do not understand your point for continuing this conversation! We have different opinions. You stated yours. I stated mine.

It is MY OPINION that blowing off a team that drafted you because they are not going to give you what you think you deserve is pretty lame. Chumpy, even (as you call it).

In some cases, the individual truly feels that finishing school is the right thing to do. More power to them. I agree with that.

Scott Boras out-right told the Phillies not to draft Drew (who did not have the option to go back to college).

After returning to Georgia Tech, Varitek was drafted by Seattle. He was drafted in June 1994, but did not sign or report to the Mariners organization until April 1995. Why? He was demanding a $750,000 signing bonus. He ended up settling for $650,000.

Varitek went back to Georgia Tech after the Twins offered him a $350,000 signing bonus. One year later he is demanding $400,000 more?

Chumpy, in my opinion!

Re: Drew in Japan would have been out-of-sight and out-of-mind

zoney! said:

I enjoyed lighting a cigarette for Daryll Strawberry at his locker after he had hit three homers one night
Are you certain it contained tobacco?

speedracer said:
(Mussina vs. Krueger);
Krueger did well...though I'v always contended he's not Krueger, but Tony Montana's carpool buddy in NYC:

5103.jpg

ci3014.jpg

88f.jpg

Put a baseball hat on him and he's your guy

markmargolis.jpg

"I told you no f*ucking kids!"

Re: Re: Drew in Japan would have been out-of-sight and out-of-mind

Hewson said:
Are you certain it contained tobacco?

I am not certain. I was bringing down a post-game meal for the team. I watched him try a lighter a few times. He turned to me as I lit a sturno and asked me for a light. Akward.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here been to Camden Yards? I'm looking to get down there in August when the Sox are in town and would appreciate any advice on what the good seats are and which ones to stay away from. Is parking a problem around the stadium? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

TAMPA - In late April, Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Elijah Dukes barged into his wife's middle school classroom at lunchtime.

He was so irate that she ran to get the principal and a deputy, who banned Dukes from the property, records show.

His wife, who said she fears for her life, sought a restraining order and told the court it was the latest in a string of outbursts by the 22-year-old rookie player.

Dukes' wife, NiShea Gilbert, 26, a teacher at Beth Shields Middle School in Ruskin, told the court in another filing Thursday that her husband threatened to kill her and sent a photo of a handgun to her cell phone.

She played the St. Petersburg Times a voice mail message she said was from Dukes:

"You dead, dawg," says an angry voice. "I ain't even bulls-------. Your kids, too."

dukes_cellphone_300.jpg

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/23/Tampabay/Ballplayer_s_wife__He.shtml

bonus points if you have him on your fantasy team :hyper:

randhail said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here been to Camden Yards? I'm looking to get down there in August when the Sox are in town and would appreciate any advice on what the good seats are and which ones to stay away from. Is parking a problem around the stadium? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

This is zoney...I forgot to log off the "roomie" :D

Been there once. I would say stay in the lower bowl if you can. Great stadium and difficult to get out of after a game (traffic-wise). Best bet: park away from the stadium and take Baltimore's light rail.

No spoken words said:
Mussian sure let the Yanks down tonight. Nothing new there. I expect a strong outing from Pettitte, win or lose.

ferrellalexburt.jpg

Yeah, why don't you gimme Ape Tit for $200.

When Doug Minkasdfasdfasdfwicz hits one into the upper deck off you, you might want to rethink your "pitching to contact" strategy.

Dear Gil Meche:

Your former teammates, the Seattle Mariners, really loved scoring ten runs off you today. Thanks for the batting practice!

Sincerely,

Pointing and Laughing in Seattle

Tonight's ESPNEWS headlines brought to you by Tobias Fünke:

wangxw3.jpg

There's got to be a better way to say that.

So ridiculous. Yes, the restaurant should have stopped serving him. Maybe they should get a fine or something because of that.

But why can't the family accept it was Hancock's personal responsibility? Did they not get enough money from his estate? Cut out of the will? :|

Rod Barajas should have his contract burned for what he did on Wednesday night. Greg Dobbs should be benched for a month. And the whole coaching staff should be fired.

Jimy Williams first move as acting manager when Uncle Charlie got kicked out? Putting in Clay Condrey, who threw a four-pitch walk and gave up the hardest hit ball in MLB history.

But in all honesty, how can a team think its coaching staff is legit with plays like Dobbs made (Mitch Williams put it best: "An 11-year old knows how to make that play.") or things like Shane Victorino did a month back (caught stealing third with 2 outs down 1 run, and then saying after the game, "Had I been safe, everyone would say I was the hero.") Clearly, this team has no baseball IQ.

Manuel is rivaling Richie Kotite's incompetence with the Birds after Buddy Ryan was out. It's at that point.

of course we don't know all the facts of the suit, but of course facts never got in the way of some fantastic judgementalness from senor brau.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom