The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chizip said:
of course we don't know all the facts of the suit, but of course facts never got in the way of some fantastic judgementalness from senor brau.

Please, expand on your thoughts as to why this case is good and just. I'd really like to hear what you think.:|

Dean Hancock is married to a woman who is not Josh Hancock's biological mother.

Josh Hancock's biological mother is still alive, and in the picture.

Take a look at this section that appeared in some news stories after he filed the suit:

"As administrator of his son’s estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, 'including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death.' ''

Obligation... that could be the key word there.

As the administrator of Josh's estate, did Dean Hancock file this to prevent the bio mother from doing so?

Did Dean Hancock file this, because, if the estate doesn't sue, then he, as the executor, could be sued by the bio mother for NOT suing?

Could it be that Dean Hancock had to play defense -- even if it's distasteful, or whatever -- and that he knows this suit will eventually get flipped into a trash can?

I suspect there could be more here than what we know ....

this lawsuit is most likely more about protecting his own backside legally than anything else.

Chizip said:

this lawsuit is most likely more about protecting his own backside legally than anything else.

BUT, the fact that he has to protect himself from someone who might file a suit like that is absurd.

The litigious nature of this country is fucked up!

zoney! said:

BUT, the fact that he has to protect himself from someone who might file a suit like that is absurd.

The litigious nature of this country is fucked up!

i blame it all on ex wives

No spoken words said:
What did Barajas do???

20070524_dn_g3phil24s.jpg

He caught a throw from left field with this guy 25 feet from home plate, there's 2 outs, one run lead for the Phils, bottom of the ninth. He stays down, they win the game. But he wimps out, stands up, and lets him slide through his 5-hole to tie the game.

Of course, he blames the umpire for making a bad call and gets himself tossed from the game.

Chizip said:

If that is indeed the case, that's pretty effed up right there.

phillyfan26 said:

20070524_dn_g3phil24s.jpg

He caught a throw from left field with this guy 25 feet from home plate, there's 2 outs, one run lead for the Phils, bottom of the ninth. He stays down, they win the game. But he wimps out, stands up, and lets him slide through his 5-hole to tie the game.

Of course, he blames the umpire for making a bad call and gets himself tossed from the game.

Barajas should wear a WWVD bracelet...What Would Varitek Do. And I have no love for Boston, but, can you imagine a guy like Varitek shying away from contact like that. Ugh.

Well, I mean Hanley Ramirez is an imposing 5'1", 116lbs...so you can see how a 6'3", 260lb guy covered in a suit of armor might be afraid.

if the yankees can survive the series @ boston and @ chicago, then they at least have an outside shot at getting back into the race... their june schedule is quite easy, the mets at yankee stadium being the only difficult series up until oakland at the end of the month, which is also at home. they've got piitsburgh and arizona at home, colorado, san fran and baltimore on the road.

they could make up a lot ground in that stretch... but, alas, if they get smoked by boston & chicago, it'll be much much too late.

I won't pussyfoot around the issue. The Sox have the division. Sure, the Yankees, may get the wildcard, but not the division.

the way the AL Central is going the yankees will need to win at leaswt 95 games to take the wild card. they are currently on pace for 68 wins. they would have to go, from this point on, 74 and 38 to close the season to get to 95 wins, a winning percentage of .660. only the mets and red sox currently have a win percentage of .660 or higher.

doable? sure... likely? not bloody

The Yanks are done. I'm spolied, we've been in the playoffs for over a decade straight....and it had to end at some point...but to have it end like this is a little jarring. Whatever, nobody is gonna have any sympathy, and nor should they, but it does suck. And it sucks worse, because the Mets and Red Sox are both so good. FUCK.

No spoken words said:
The Yanks are done. I'm spolied, we've been in the playoffs for over a decade straight....and it had to end at some point...but to have it end like this is a little jarring. Whatever, nobody is gonna have any sympathy, and nor should they, but it does suck. And it sucks worse, because the Mets and Red Sox are both so good. FUCK.

the thing that would worry me more if i were a yankee fan wasn't the fact that the team sucks... that was bound to happen eventually, and there have been signs of the fall popping up for years, starting when they were up 3-0 on the red sox and pissed it all away because joe torre refuses to play small ball and fails to understand the concept of the productive out, and mariano, the ultimate symbol of yankee dominance, couldn't get the job done.

no, what would worry me is that management, namely the owner, fails to understand that the ship hath sinketh, and seems intent on adding more and more overpriced, past their prime veterans in a last gasp attempt to salvage the titanic.

if i were a yankee fan, i'd hope for the worst... let them be 25 games out, let them fire everyone... the last thing i'd want is for them to fall 16/17 games back, then win a bunch of games during a very weak june schedule to at least make it look like a mini run towards the playoffs... which would, of course, ultimately lead to cashman trading off some young prospects for the overpriced, over-rated vet de jour that some mid market team is trying to get rid of in a salary dump.

the ship is sinking, the hole is not reparable. scrap the ship and build a new one. but alas, if jim dolan has taught is anything, it's that guys with lots of money think it's impossible to rebuild in new york. treading water with overpriced, overrated teams? no problem... scrap and build for the future? naaaah

You whippersnappers don't remember 1978...I do.
Unless Bucky F'in Dent gets hit by a bus tomorrow, the Yanks aren't dead.
They are however on life support.

As headache pointed out, the bigger picture with the Yanks is more troubling. Since they constantly add high priced and usually past their prime players (Giambi, Abreu, Damon, Abreu, Clemens, Abreu, Big Unit, Abreu, Pavano, Abreu, Pettitte part deux, and Abreu are prime examples in recent years)...their future outside of Phil McCracken Hughes looks bleak.
If StrayRod opts out, they'll have a hole at 3rd, a hole at 1st, 2 holes in the rotation, a hole in RF, huge question mark at closer, a breaking down CF and an aging C to start 2008 accompanied by a bullpen of rag arms for middle relief and set up roles.

On the bright side they'll have Jeets and Matsui.

Hewson said:
You whippersnappers don't remember 1978...I do.
Unless Bucky F'in Dent gets hit by a bus tomorrow, the Yanks aren't dead.
They are however on life support.

As headache pointed out, the bigger picture with the Yanks is more troubling. Since they constantly add high priced and usually past their prime players (Giambi, Abreu, Damon, Abreu, Clemens, Abreu, Big Unit, Abreu, Pavano, Abreu, Pettitte part deux, and Abreu are prime examples in recent years)...their future outside of Phil McCracken Hughes looks bleak.
If StrayRod opts out, they'll have a hole at 3rd, a hole at 1st, 2 holes in the rotation, a hole in RF, huge question mark at closer, a breaking down CF and an aging C to start 2008 accompanied by a bullpen of rag arms for middle relief and set up roles.

On the bright side they'll have Jeets and Matsui.

I remember that as well. This aint 1978, though.

Agreed to all the things stated above to worry about re: the Yankees future.

StrayRod certainly knows how to maintain his image, doesn't he?

TORONTO (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez helped the New York Yankees end their five-game losing streak with his bat -- and his mouth.

Rodriguez distracted Toronto third baseman Howie Clark by shouting at him on a key popup in the ninth inning, touching off arguments all over the field, and the Yankees beat the Blue Jays 10-5 Wednesday night.

"I just said, 'Hah!' That's it," Rodriguez said. "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."

It definitely worked in rankling the Blue Jays.

"The thing about the Yankees, one of the reasons they're so respected, is they do things right. Always have," manager John Gibbons said. "They've got a lot of pride and a lot of class. They play the game hard.

"That's not Yankee pride right there," he said. "That's not the way they play. I thought it was bush league."

Rodriguez hit an RBI single with two outs in the ninth that made it 7-5. Jorge Posada followed with a high infield pop and Rodriguez ran hard, cutting between Clark and shortstop John McDonald.

Replays showed Rodriguez shouting something, and Clark backed off at the last second. McDonald was only a few steps behind Clark, but couldn't make the catch and ball dropped for an RBI single.

"I don't know what my intention was," Rodriguez said. "I didn't say, 'I got it' or anything like that."

Clark claimed Rodriguez called for the ball.

"I heard a 'Mine' call and so I let it go," Clark said. "It wasn't Johnny Mac. What do you do? It makes you mad."

After the play, McDonald started jawing with Rodriguez, and third base umpire Chad Fairchild got between them.

Gibbons came out to argue, and exchanged words with Rodriguez and third base coach Larry Bowa before leaving the field as plate umpire Eric Cooper intervened. Rodriguez stayed on the bag with a smirk.

As Jason Giambi stepped up to hit, he seemed to get into it with catcher Jason Phillips and Cooper settled them down.

Giambi followed with a two-run single. When the game ended, many of the Blue Jays stayed on the bench, staring at Rodriguez and the Yankees.

Rodriguez brushed aside the Blue Jays' anger, saying the Yankees were "desperate" for a win.

"Honestly, I couldn't care less," he said. "They have their opinions. We're looking not to be swept."

Clark said he'd never seen -- or heard -- that play before. "This is my 16th season and it's never happened once," he said.

Rodriguez said he's often heckled by opposing players.

"That play happens to me three or four times a week, except it's not at third base, it's over in foul territory by the dugout," Rodriguez said.

The Yankees didn't quite know what to think.

"I wasn't sure that was allowed," outfielder Johnny Damon said. "If it is, maybe we'll keep on doing it."

Said manager Joe Torre: "I don't know what to feel for it. It's not like he said, 'I got it."'

It certainly was an adventuresome day for Rodriguez. He made the cover of the New York Post on Wednesday -- and not because of the Yankees' slump.

"STRAY-ROD" blared the Page 1 headline across a picture of A-Rod and an unidentified woman in Toronto earlier this week. "Alex hits strip club with mystery blonde," it continued.

"Absolutely no comment about anything personal and I certainly don't think this will be a distraction to our team," he said before Wednesday's win.

Rodriguez has been in the middle of an unusual, on-field dispute before. In Game 6 of the 2004 AL championship series, he slapped the ball from Boston pitcher Bronson Arroyo's glove, and was called out for interference.

i put the ny post in the toilet before doing my business yesterday.

anything a-rod does in public? by all means... rip it to shreads for all i care. have a photographer follow him around and snap a picture of him walking with an unknown woman and declare that he's having an afair without any proof whatsoever? i don't care who it is... that's just wrong, and if this sort of stalkarazzi action continues all it's going to do is hurt all new york sport teams... why would a big name free agent want to come here if he can't do anything without fear of having some stupid ass photographer taking his picture and jumping to conclusions?

as for a-rod's "mine" call... hey, it's a "crafty" play, but a thirdbaseman really shouldn't do it to another thirdbaseman. one would think if someone did it to a-rod he would turn around and smack them with his man purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom