The Super Terrific MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MLB is doing a great job on the PR front lately between Craig Biggio not being allowed to wear his pin and the whole Extra Innings issue and now this compassionate move:

PHILADELPHIA --Boston Red Sox icon Johnny Pesky will have to leave the dugout during games this season because of a major league rule that limits the number of coaches allowed in uniform. Red Sox manager Terry Francona said the team was told by the commissioner's officer it will enforce the rule that limits uniformed personnel in the dugout to players, managers, and six coaches. Francona said the Red Sox received a stern letter from baseball threatening substantial fines.

"They warned us so many times, I think they got tired of it," he said Friday before the Boston's exhibition game against the Philadelphia Phillies. "I've seen the letters in the past."

Pesky took the news hard when Francona told him this week.

"I sat down with him and talked with him about, and he was hurt," Francona said. "I understand. But the rules are what they are."

Chizip said:
maybe i just like Shea because its one of the few fair stadiums left, and one of the few stadiums left with a bit of history in it.

i just know i liked playing the NLCS in Shea stadium last year 10 million times better than playing in Houston's Minute Maid park, a park that is 100 feet down one line, 3 miles to center field where youll find a hill and flag, a choo choo train and buzzing noises after 10 seconds.

baseball is about history, not gimmicks. but maybe id feel differently if i ever visited Shea.

mays, mantle and ruth all played a large portion of their careers in stadiums that were very short down the line and 3 miles to centerfield... yankee stadium had monuments in fair territory, the polo grounds had stairs. crosley field in cincinatti had a hill leading up to the fence, as did fenway park at one point.

polo grounds (harlem) - 279L, 475C, 257R
shibe park (philadelphia a's) - 360L, 515C, 360R
baker bowl (philadelphia phillies) - 341L, 408C, 279R
ebbets field (brooklyn) - 348L, 393C, 297R
original yankee stadium - 281L, 490C, 295R

:shrug: now of course these old stadiums were build with strange dimensions and quirks because they had to build the stadiums where ever they could find room, where as the new modern stadium is being built with strange dimensions and quirks because the owners want it to be that way... but if anything the new modern stadiums being built today are more more like the historic stadiums of old than the cookie cutter stadiums of the 60s and 70s... playing in minute maid park is a heck of a lot more like how ruth, mantle and mays played than playing in shea is.

just for shits and giggles, the dimensions of shea vs. citi

shea stadium - 338L, 371LC, 410C, 371RC, 338R
citi field - 335L, 379LC, 408C, 391RC, 300R

very similar dimensions in left field, deeper in right center, similar to whatever the hell you call pac-bell park now... good for triples. call it the house that reyes built.

Last edited:
Nothing in life makes me feel like a kid like opening day does. It starts in earnest tomorrow, but, right now, Cards/Mets is about to start and I'm all grins. Love it.

:)

I'm excited it's opening day tomorrow! I'm even more excited that the Mariners game doesn't start until 3:30 ... my office is about half a mile away from Safeco Field, and when they have 1:00 or 1:30 start times, you have to leave super early. If you get stuck in traffic, you ain't goin' nowhere for about three hours.

I learned my lesson the hard way once. :(

that being said, one of these years I'd love to go to an opening day, but Seattle in April is a cold Seattle, and I'd rather be warm on my couch with the game on my TV.

Opening Day is finally here! Finally, games that count! Last night, the Mets clobbered the World Champs, 6-1. Today, the Yanks take on the D-Rays at The Stadium! Will these two teams meets in the World Series?

You think the Mets will be playing the D-Rays in the Series?
Wow, I think they have a shot at 2nd in the division behind the Red Sox if the Blue Jays falter a bit, but don't think Tampa will make the playoffs. You have more faith than me my friend.

No, I think it'll be Mets/Yanks. LOL! I did make it sound like it could be Mets/D-Rays in the Series. Poor D-Rays, though. I hope they at least place better in the division this year. This is their 10th season and they've always finished near the bottom.

Uh oh, they just pulled Pavano in the top of the 5th. D-Rays are up 4-3 now. The D-rays always give the Yanks a fight.

From boos to a curtain call, Arod has an exciting day. Arod jacks one to give the Yanks a 9-5 lead in the 8th against TB.

Arod getting a curtain call on a meaningless home run? Yankee fans are such curtain call whores - save it for when it's actually deserved.

Oh whatever. You're negative vibe won't bring me down. It's nice to get a win on Opening Day. Would you really expect anything else from the Bronx faithful?

I'd like a win too, but Gil Meche looks like he deserves his money today. :mad: :mad:

Julio Lugo is doing his best Jose Offerman impression too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom