The Strokes - 2006 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the new Strokes tour!

I just saw it last night at Hammerstein Ballroom here in NYC and it was fucking amazing! Such high energy, great sound, fantastic setlist. Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu were dancing a foot above my head the entire time. They are slap yo momma gorgeous in person.

Here's the only two good photos I have:

106847797_902208b587.jpg

106847798_9edffa3e6b.jpg

More to come on Sunday! :hyper:

They played approx. 2 hours.. probably a little less.

Opened with "You Only Live Once" and closed with "Take it or Leave it."

The show was off the chain - just AMAZING. :combust:

OK - Oh my god.

Last night - The Strokes had New York City eating out of the palms of their hands. It was truly magical. I felt like I was at a rave and on the best shrooms ever. (I wasn't, of course). The whole crowd danced and sang at the top of their lungs the whole time. The band was really touched by the outpouring of emotion. Bottom line: If you remotely like this band, you will love them in concert this tour.

More pics to come later today :)

Guest list from a foot about my head this time:
-Drew Barrymore (when a drink spilled on us from the balcony above her head, we both look at each other, smiled and said, "Ewww.. OMG!" for a moment. It was special. Shut-up. I'm happy.)
-Amanda de Cadenet (Guitarist Nick's model/photog girlfriend)
-Jimmy Fallon
-David Cross (OMG. He was so sweet to the fans on the floor after the show and was the only celeb to interact with people. He shook hands and took pics and everything.)
-Har Mar Superstar (in VIP, in the audience, and on the stage for "Under Control.")
-Jennifer Connolly (Just. Gorgeous. Looks maybe 30 in person.)
-Rob Schneider (Ya know, Deuce Bigalow? He was in the crowd, no VIP pass, right next to me. It was so sad b/c he kept looking up at VIP and smiling the saddiest, most longing smile ever.)

First, thanks to Carrie for posting the Strokes tour dates in this forum earlier this year--you motivated me to check this band out, and I've been pleased.

So, I spent a few dollars on tickets to take Viva and myself to this show at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on Monday, March 6.

If you ever have the chance, the Ryman is an incredibly intimate and sonically delicious place to see a rock show. To this day, I've seen Ani, Ben Harper, and now the Strokes there. And to make it more fun, Nashville rock crowds are ambitious in their affection and adoration. The opening act Eagles of Death Metal were practically drooling all over us in banter as dorky as their defiantly straightforward rock-by-numbers.

The Strokes took the stage around 9:10 pm and played until 10:45pm with one break towards the end. I lost track of the number of songs and am not enough of a Strokes-nerd to be able to report back a setlist, but it was a wide mix of music from all their records.
Julian Casablancas was a surpisingly unpretentious and present frontman, much to the glee of the dozens of dancing and screaming young women everywhere in our section. He has this interesting quirk with the microphone, though, that sometimes makes it a challenge to see his face--it looks like he could be playing the flute or perhaps even fellating the thing.

I've been amused for the last few decades by all the premature punditry pronouncing rock music dead. A Strokes show is one more blast of loud, raucous, raunchy, and authentic evidence in rock's defense.

love, Anu

Back
Top Bottom