The Star Wars Thread, Ep II: Blu or Blu Not, There is No Original Theatrical Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched Episodes IV and V tonight. One thing that I was happy to see was that they updated the CG Jabba in New Hope. He doesn't look like complete shit anymore

edit: apparently that was a 2004 fix. I havent seen those one though. It wouldve been nice if they finessed it a bit more for this go around, but it's still 100x better than the 97 version

29vnw36.jpg

Want.

Watched the last hour of ROTS last night and then all of A New Hope. The older movies look pretty darn good. Not sure when I'll bowl Empire over yet but I'm having a lot of fun watching these over again. It has been so long!

Oh yeah it looks amazing. It was the only one so far I've watched in my fathers cinema room, so i'd be a bit hard to judge Ep I & II based on that.

Might watch Empire tonight, but I'll be relegated to my 40" with no special sound :wink:

Because I'm a super expert on such topics!

you can just tell it's not a genuine expression. And the girl seems to start too soon. A kid isn't smart enough to anticipate what he's saying after "No, I". Plus they both make the same expression as if they were told to beforehand

So, if anyone wants the OUT in high quality, search for Harmy's Star Wars Trilogy Despecialized Edition. It's a fan restoration. This guy pieced together 99%-close-to theatrical cuts of the OUT in 720p HD, using various sources(HD broadcast of 2004 SE, 720p upscale of 2006 OUT dvd release that someone did, etc). It can be burned to blu-ray, or to dual layer DVD as AVCHD(which is what I did). I just looked at Episode IV, and it looks really damn good. Not 1080p, but 720p HD is a hell of a lot better than the laserdisc transfers. Definitely a must-get if you want the OUT in high-quality. Probably the best we're ever going to get unless Lucas ever decides to release them officially. I recommend giving them a shot.

Yeaaaaah got the whole shebang on blu for my birthday today. The Complete Saga box is beautifully done, and feels compact yet sturdy. I celebrated by popping in The Phantom Menace and watching it for the first time uncut without interruptions since....probably I saw it in theaters in 1999.

The big takeaway really wasn't the story, acting, or editing, it was the surprise of realizing that despite a reputation as a visual director, Lucas was so aggressively uninterested in the amazing design he was throwing on screen. Amidala's geisha makeup, the fantastic colors looking at the Gungan underwater city from outside, the Naboo capital, the way the Jedi robes swirled in the Tatooine wind- he was smart enough to design all that, but the whole direction was so damn prosaic and skipping any attempt at a sense of place. I think that's a bit of rust from the long layover, because by ROTS I know he loosened up.

Got the Blus as a gift this past weekend. I don't even know where to begin with them.

You tell 'im I'm coming!

The deleted scene of the old woman raising her fist for 5 seconds is priceless. Fried calamari tonight!

I wonder if this is going to take place mostly in Outer Rim places like Tattooine (obviously we know Mos Eisley and Mos Espa are ripe with this type of activity), or will there be Blade Runner type stuff on Coruscant like we saw in Attack of the Clones.

I'm down for whatever.

Two things we do know: this is going to be the most expensive show in TV history, and if a major network picks it up it's going to get great ratings. Also, it's a lose-lose situation for me, because even if it turns out to be good, people will just use it to bash the prequels and give all the credit to whoever writes the episodes.

Is Lucas going to be the show-runner on this, or somebody associated with whatever network picks it up... or is there somebody else involved already?

I doubt he'd devote the time needed to be a show runner. Perhaps he'll have approval on overall storylines and will check over stuff for canon continuity but...fuck, I hope he just makes another feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom