The Simpsons vs. Family Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is better, Family Guy or The Simpsons?

• Family Guy

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • The Simpsons

Votes: 35 60.3%

• Total voters
this is hard because i love them both
the last couple years the simpsons have gone down hill but then again theyve been around since the 80s, i love the simpsons a lot because i grew up on them and they have many many timeless episodes. in addition, they have a more of a community of intriguiging characters which family guy doesnt. and even though many family guy fans hate to admit it, family guy owes a lot to the simpsons.
but, i also very much love family guy it makes me crack up something newer simpson episodes dont do for me anymore. they have a cruder and somewhat dumber humor to them but it's quite hilarious and entertaining which works for me.

i will have to wait and see in the couple years since it is a fairly new show to see what the show evolves to, hopefully they will expand thier humor and characters.
unless they cancel it again:angry: i am certain that the show will only get funnier:up:

but as of this exact moment i voted for the simpsons:wink:

Here's the thing:

In the mid-90's, the Simpsons was absolutely the best show on television. The reason for this was their subtle humor. They had things that only well-educated people would understand. Especially when Conan O'Brien was a writer for the show, the Simpsons was extroardinary.

Family Guy on the other hand, presents a totally different type of humor. This is more crude, more obvious, less intelligent humor. These days, this is what has become popular. So Family Guy nowadays is waay more popular than the Simpsons. So now the writers of the Simpsons are trying to keep their status for being known as the show with 'intelligent humor' but they are also trying to be a little more crude and obvious in order to get the $$$.

So I would say that the Simpsons, because of what they accomplised from like 1993-2000 makes them the best show of all time.

unosdostres14 said:
Here's the thing:

Family Guy on the other hand, presents a totally different type of humor. This is more crude, more obvious, less intelligent humor. These days, this is what has become popular. So Family Guy nowadays is waay more popular than the Simpsons. So now the writers of the Simpsons are trying to keep their status for being known as the show with 'intelligent humor' but they are also trying to be a little more crude and obvious in order to get the $$$.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

My avatar says it all. When was the last time Homer got to ride Falkor?

Lucky there's a Family Guy

I would disagree with Family Guy being mainly crude and unintelligent humor. Sure there is lots of that, but they throw in some very obscure cultural references all the time, and some of their jokes that play on current events/politics are very witty. I think a good mix of crude and intelligent humor overall. The comic timing on that show is outstanding, as well.

I have yet to watch a Family Guy that hasn't had at least one moment that was flat out hilarious to me. Can't say the same about the Simpsons. Both are great shows - I just dig Family Guy more. :)

this is hard, because the simpsons used to be so funny. it's hard to compare a cartoon that's been on for over ten years to a cartoon that was on for two years and is now back on again. the simpsons didn't suck in season three.

but i guess if i have to look at the overall quality of both shows, i'll go with family guy. but last exit to springfield was the best simpsons episode ever.

One of the few polls on Interference that's remotely worthwhile and interesting I got to go with Family Guy. There has been too much dross in recent years from the Simpsons.
Anyone who says Family Guy is low brow either hasn't watched it or is a bit slow themselves.

Overall, The Simpsons is just too much of a legacy to not be voted on by myself. That being said, I also REALLY like Family guy and South Park (which was not listed). All of them are extremely humorous with great characters and usually great writing/commentary. Funny stuff.

In it's first four seasons, Family Guy is infinitely more funny than the first four seasons of the Simpsons, which really hit stride in and around seasons 5-9 or 10. If FG has the good fortune of being around for as many seasons as the Simpsons have enjoyed, I think it will be a marketing and cultural force on par with its "rival".

And I know there's a lot of Lenny fans here, but I gotta say this:

The Simpsons has Lenny.
Family Guy has Glen Quagmire.

No. Contest.

Giggidy giggidy giggidy giggidy goooooo

inmyplace13 said:
In it's first four seasons, Family Guy is infinitely more funny than the first four seasons of the Simpsons, which really hit stride in and around seasons 5-9 or 10. If FG has the good fortune of being around for as many seasons as the Simpsons have enjoyed, I think it will be a marketing and cultural force on par with its "rival".

And I know there's a lot of Lenny fans here, but I gotta say this:

The Simpsons has Lenny.
Family Guy has Glen Quagmire.

No. Contest.

Giggidy giggidy giggidy giggidy goooooo

A legend in his own time:
Quagmire: Now that's a woman! That's a house, that's a fish, that's a bee!!!

tarquinsuperb said:

A legend in his own time:
Quagmire: Now that's a woman! That's a house, that's a fish, that's a bee!!!

Quagmire at a police auction:

Actioneer: Next up is a pair of hookers panties

Quagmire: 50 Bucks

Actioneer: She had an STD

Quagmire: 40 Bucks

Actioneer: And she pee'd in them

Quagmire: 50 Bucks

tarquinsuperb said:

Anyone who says Family Guy is low brow either hasn't watched it or is a bit slow themselves.

Thanks dude.

Anyway, The Simpsons (which I agree has taken a nose dive in recent years) and Southpark are two of my favorite shows of all time (along with Arrested Development, Seinfeld, etc.) I just find FG incredibly unfunny. Oh well, my loss. I'll just watch something else. :shrug:

Last edited:
Lemonfix said:

Thanks dude.

Anyway, The Simpsons (which I agree has taken a nose dive in recent years) and Southpark are two of my favorite shows of all time (along with Arrested Development, Seinfeld, etc.) I just find FG incredibly unfunny. Oh well, my loss. I'll just watch something else. :shrug:

Sorry no offence meant, but I just think there's plenty of good subtle jokes in Family Guy like the Simpsons USED to be. Besides how could I insult a Seinfeld fan.
I think that get's to the heart of my annoyance with the Simpsons it used to be my favourite show before the newer ones disappointed so often. Compare that with Seinfeld where the final couple of series were as good if not better than the earlier series.

Diemen said:
I would disagree with Family Guy being mainly crude and unintelligent humor. Sure there is lots of that, but they throw in some very obscure cultural references all the time, and some of their jokes that play on current events/politics are very witty.

originally said by Death
Hey, how old is this TV? You could probably get the DuMont Network on this thing

diemen is correct.

thats not regular comedy. thats super comedy.

Family Guy is better because of Stewart Gilligan Griffin, he would like beat the hell out of Bart any day of the week.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Family Guy is better because of Stewart Gilligan Griffin, he would like beat the hell out of Bart any day of the week.

Maybe this a better way of evaluating the contest. I'm sure Stewie could take Bart but despite the Chicken incidents I think Homer could take Peter. Not sure about Lois vs Marge though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom