The Roy Orbison Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's shades

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Tonight I got home from work in time to see most of "Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night," on my local PBS station. What a great concert! All the great man's back-up musicians (Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, T Bone Burnett, Jackson Browne, Tom Waits, etc.) look thrilled to death just to be on the same stage with him. :bow:

I can't even remember a time when I didn't love Roy. When he died I think that was the first time I ever felt sad about a celebrity passing on. :sad:

What he did to She's A Mystery to me is breathtaking. Blue Bayou always gets me in a nice, mellow mood. And Running Scared is also gorgeous.

Sad that he isn't around anymore. :(

Big up, Big O! :up:

Marty

heh, I was in high school when Roy died, just two weks after he'd played in Boston. I carried my radio around with me all day, playing his tapes and generally being morose.
When I go back and look at the notebooks I kept back then, the only thing I seem to have written about Roy was a single line:
"That voice.......was silenced forever"

The Travellling Wilburys' video for 'End of the Line' made me break out bawling, with Roy's guitar sitting in the rocking chair when his passages in the song came up.....

Miss you much, Roy.

Popmartijn said:
You did?
And now? :p

;)

Marty

hehehe

I knew someone would say that!

I liked him as a person and musician, from what I as a fan could know of him while he was alive. I continue to like and enjoy his music. :)

I love Orbison, but only in small doses. I will definitely stop everything if his songs come on the radio, but after a few tunes they begin to sound alike (I know this by purchasing the Greatest Hits cd and getting bored after 4 tracks. His voice is beautiful, but he didn't experiment much with his style; a little stagnant.

Has everyone heard Don McLean's cover of "Crying"? It's good; nothing like Roy's, but certainly worth a listen.

Back
Top Bottom