The Prestige

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
has anybody else seen this??!?! what an amazing movie! in the middle of it, i got kind of confused and though the movie was just a waste of time, but when you figure it all out at the end it's so unbelieveable cool. the ending is so crazy that you have to watch the whole movie again to look for all the clues. fantastic :up:

Pretty damn good.

Mostly because of David Bowie's Nikola Tesla. Like Jareth's musical numbers, Tesla gets precious little screen time.

image1wr0.gif

The Prestige was indeed amazing, securing Christopher Nolan a firm spot in my top 3 directors list. It sincerely kept you guessing the entire time, and the revelations were simply out of this world.

Given Nolan's fantastic directorial skills, the a phenominal cast performance, The Prestige is surely one of the year's best films.

The Departed is still sitting pretty as #1 this year though, and I don't think anything's going to beat it. I still need to see Flags of Our Fathers yet.

Yes, for all the reasons noted above, one of the best movies I've seen this year. I missed several clues during the movie that my wife picked up. It's always fun disecting the movie afterwards and hearing her perspective.

Definitely worth seeing in the theatres, early as possible too so nothing gets spoiled by idle chatter. ;)

Just saw it last night. So far my second fav of the year (behind The Departed). Although I have missed a few movies that I may love, such as Little Miss Sunshine.

Saw this movie last night and absolutely loved it. Christopher Nolan has yet to disappoint :drool:

Lancemc said:
The Prestige was indeed amazing, securing Christopher Nolan a firm spot in my top 3 directors list. It sincerely kept you guessing the entire time, and the revelations were simply out of this world.

I completely agree :up:. I figured out one of the twists very early on, but the execution of the reveal was great.

I'm going with my friends to see it next weekend.

Anything involving David Bowie will not disappoint me.

:up:

i watched it again today and figured out more of the mysteries. i tell you it's still a lot of fun the 2nd time around, but i was still envious of the people who were watching it for the first time. what a cool movie.

It was #1 at the box office, I don't want to see Flags Of Our Fathers because I just don't care all that much for war movies-especially now.

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

Director Christopher Nolan worked his magic in theaters this weekend — primarily at Clint Eastwood's expense.

Nolan's The Prestige, a drama about competing magicians, proved a surprise winner over Eastwood's World War II epic, Flags of Our Fathers.

BOX OFFICE CHART: How did films fare over the weekend?

The Prestige did $14.8 million, according to studio estimates. The haul is about $4 million more than many analysts projected and marked the director's second straight No. 1 film. His first was last year's Batman Begins, which opened at $47.8 million.

Flags opened in third place with $10.2 million, about $3 million below expectations, although Eastwood's movies tend to open modestly before marching to commercial and critical success.

His Mystic River did $10.4 million when it expanded nationwide in October 2003 and went on to do $90 million. And 2004's Million Dollar Baby, which took the best-picture Oscar, did $12.3 million in its nationwide bow and went on to gross $100 million.

"This is where we expected to be," says Jim Tharp, head of distribution for Paramount and DreamWorks, which released Flags. "He appeals to an older audience, which doesn't always get out there on the opening weekend. We're going to continue to roll out to more theaters in response to the strong reaction and good reviews."

He concedes, however, that executives were impressed by the strong showings of The Prestige and Martin Scorsese's The Departed, which dropped only 28% from the previous weekend to take second place and $13.7 million.

The Departed has taken in $77.1 million in 17 days.

"That's a movie that's playing phenomenally," Tharp says. "It's got great word of mouth."

Executives at Disney are hoping for the same reaction to The Prestige, which was sold more as a Nolan film than as a vehicle for its stars, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.

"Chris just can't make a bad movie," says Chuck Viane, Disney's head of distribution. "You look at Memento, or Insomnia, and people respond to his movies because they know he's going to make them think."

This Movies was Fucking Fantastic. Chris Nolan is in the same spot as Speilberg, and Jackson. David Bowie was awesome as Tesla. I plan to buy this when it comes out on DVD.

Queen Bee said:

Okay now you stop right there buddy. David Bowie was great in The Labyrinth. Waaaay too campy and over-the-top but great :drool:
He was great because he actually seemed at home with the muppets, unlike the leading lady.

Dance magic dance!

80s synth pop :drool: :drool: :drool:

i didn't find out Jackman's prestige until they actually showed the first time he used it, and it was so wierd and creepy and insane. loved it.

Awesome movie! I'm definitely going to see it again. HOWEVER, for those who have already seen it more than once, I must ask this....

*SPOILERS*

I keep hearing about one last twist. The final shot of the movie is the closeup of the tank, right? With the dead clone in it? I've just heard that if you look to the right, you can see another man standing beside a burning curtain... presumably, another clone of Angier (alive!).

I... must... know! It's driving me nuts. LOL.

SpaceOddity said:
Awesome movie! I'm definitely going to see it again. HOWEVER, for those who have already seen it more than once, I must ask this....

*SPOILERS*

I keep hearing about one last twist. The final shot of the movie is the closeup of the tank, right? With the dead clone in it? I've just heard that if you look to the right, you can see another man standing beside a burning curtain... presumably, another clone of Angier (alive!).

I... must... know! It's driving me nuts. LOL.

Haha, wow. I hiiiiighly doubt it. That sounds incredibly lame.

The close-up shot of the tank was only shown to reiterate that Angier killed one of his clones every night. It was just a slow reveal for the unaware audience members that didn't pick up on the clues splattered throughout the movie. That's all there is to it.

Queen Bee said:

Haha, wow. I hiiiiighly doubt it. That sounds incredibly lame.

The close-up shot of the tank was only shown to reiterate that Angier killed one of his clones every night. It was just a slow reveal for the unaware audience members that didn't pick up on the clues splattered throughout the movie. That's all there is to it.

LOL, I agree. The cloning "twist" itself was stretched as far as it could go, so having one "last" Angier alive at the end would be stepping over the line. That's why I'm dying to know if they're actually right, that you really can see some guy standing in the background during that shot (while viewers are supposed to be focusing on the dead clone in the tank).

Think of all the possible sequel titles! "The Prestige: Attack of the Clones" would be good. :wink:

i don't think clone is really the right word. Angier killed himself every single time he did the trick, because he was the guy 'in the box' and the prestige. insane.

i also like how when they first show Bale do the transported man, they don't show you the very end, just Angier saying 'it was the best magic trick i've ever seen,' and they show you the end of it way later in the movie. so good!

discothequeLP said:
i don't think clone is really the right word. Angier killed himself every single time he did the trick, because he was the guy 'in the box' and the prestige. insane.
:confused:

I don't follow.

What would you call it? Angier was cloning himself either way you want to look at it. Remember the scene where he freaked out when he encountered his clone and shot it? It wasn't real magic, it was just science. If the machine was actually performing magic that would've been an incredibly lame twist given the theme of the movie.

it was more of a 'copy' i'd say. when you clone somebody, it still has to be given birth to and raised, and it of course will have an entirely different experience than the host. but these 'copies' are 100% carbon copies, same memories, feelings, the whole bit. i know it's not magic.

Ok like I said in the review movie thread, I did pretty much figure out all of the ending (Bale included) about 45-50 minutes before it was over, but that doesn't mean I was EXTREMELY impressed and amazed by this movie. I loved it so much:D

BUt as for David Bowie. I was sitting there at the theater, and when he came on I was like (in my head, not out loud), "Wow, that guy REALLY looks like David Bowie." But then the other half of my mind was like, "Ashley, that's ridiculous." And I chuckled to myself. Then they did a closeup of his face and I was like, eh what the heck, and checked out his eyes and I just sorta did this number :ohmy:. He's gained a little weight it looks like, which for him is not a bad thing...he always looked so skinny :'(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom