The Police Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i understand that they had a very low budget... but they are TERRIBLE have you seen de do do do de da da da, so lonely, walking on the moon,.....TERRIBLE, :wink:
The music is astounding :up: but the 80%of videos are not, I guess i would say the same goes for U2...
they rule albums and concerts but album covers and videos are crappy

elevation2u said:
i understand that they had a very low budget... but they are TERRIBLE have you seen de do do do de da da da, so lonely, walking on the moon,.....TERRIBLE, :wink:
The music is astounding :up: but the 80%of videos are not, I guess i would say the same goes for U2...
they rule albums and concerts but album covers and videos are crappy

Yea most videos suck. The only U2 video that I can truly enjoy is Beautiful Day.

Actually, for the 80s, U2 had perhaps the best videos going.

As for The Police, yeah the early ones are basic, just like most others before MTV was born. Every Breath You Take and Wrapped Around Your Finger aren't too bad though.

I like U2's Please, One [drag version], Beautiful Day, Walk On [brazil version], Sometimes You Can't....., Last Night On Earth:wink:..
The Police's Syncronicty videos, Every Little Thing She Does...., Message in a Bottle are not that bad:up:

elevation2u said:
i understand that they had a very low budget...
but they are TERRIBLE have you seen
de do do do de da da da,
so lonely,
walking on the moon, ..... TERRIBLE, :wink:

I didn't even list those videos you mentioned !! :eyebrow:

So, I can agree that those are NOT that great ... :tsk:

But for the videos I did list such as ...
Roxanne
Message In A Bottle
Bring On The Night
Don't Stand So Close To Me

Those from the first 3 albums are :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

What! This thread was near the end of page 2 of B & C ?? :ohmy:

We can't have that happen yet !! :sad:

Back to the top it goes ... :up:

I'm gonna play The Police all day, and post it in 'now playing'
just to recognize the GREATEST of this band !! :bow: :applaud:

Infinitum98 said:

Now when you look in the case of U2, yes Bono rights the songs. But the rest of the band has their say. I think it was Larry who said that U2 is democracy.

But the Police were a dictatorship.

No Edge actually writes alot of the songs. I dont' know exactly which ones but he pretty much wrote Sunday Bloody Sunday, All I want is You. Don't know what other ones but I'm pretty sure he and Bono write equally. Adam was interviewed and he said half the songs come from jam sessions and the otehr half come from ideas from Bono/Edge

Did someone bring up yet how much U2 took from the Police? That whole "choir of backing vocals" thing that you hear on most later Police singles, U2 adopted as their own, as well as taking the model of a slick arena rock band that was still sensitive, intelligent, politically active, and modestly experimental.

And "Invisible Sun" is a U2 song right? :wink:

Synchronicity is a masterpiece. People say the '80s sucked for music, which is totally wrong, but in general the biggest of the biggest mainstream albums did suck. The Police (and Michael Jackson, and U2) were the exceptions, but I think Synchronicity has better songwriting than The Joshua Tree, and almost as amazing production which doesn't sound too dated. It's a more varied album too, and I like it better. The thing that makes anything they do a bit hard to appreciate is the Sting persona. He comes off cold and insincere a lot of times. With the Police and even after, he is usually a "better" lyric writer than Bono, but it seems like a lot of his lyrics are either pure escapism, or intellectual things which just seem like a bit of a pisstake.

There are a few songs not like that-- "King of Pain" and "Message in a Bottle." Those are among my all time favorite songs. But most of the time even though Bono is more simplistic and a bit remote himself at times, he comes off so much more genuine. The word pretentious is overused, but perfect for Sting. U2 were like the Police mach 2, a career with a lot more filler, but still a big evolution from the first model.

How did I miss this thread? :drool:

Tea in the Sahara, Murder By Numbers :heart:

and I am a HUGE fan of Sting's solo work. :heart:

Best Police videos:

Every Breath You Take
Wrapped Around Your Finger
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic *I fell in love with Sting because of this video*
Don't Stand So Close To Me

Oh how I love this band. :heart:

Last edited:
:hyper:
I was just listening to the Police :D
:drool: I looooove love love love The Police.

but the thing that kind of angers me is that in my opinion, many people find their song 'Every Breath You Take' to be P. Diddy's.... :eyebrow: maybe it's just the people that I've seen.

either way, THE POLICE ARE AMAZING. I say 'are' because I'm still in high hopes of them rejoining some day.. :wink:

I miss the police...and like many others have said, I also hope they reform...I don't think it will happen, but it would be nice...My fav police song has to be "wrapped around your finger" I even did an acoustic cover of that song last week at a show I did at a coffee house, along with the Cures "plainsong." but anyway, the police were amazing. I love the fact that they went out while they were still on top, its rare to see, and I think some other bands should follow this path and not drag out a career with subpar work. Anyway...the Police..great band.

I love The Police, wish I could have seen them live!

And yeah I have their greatest hits on video and their videos just really make me laugh, they are sooo ban. Dont stand so close to me is probably my favourite.

And Sting at Live 8 was great! Message ina bottle :up:

I think right now my favorite is "Spirits In The Material World".

that tune sounds like nothing before or since from anyone.

where did he get that bassline from? and those synth/guitar chords...:drool: and stewert's drums....:drool:

a close second is "King Of Pain".

also, I love the one squeak from the sax and the the two out of tune notes in the beginning.

the fact that they left that in is pure genius.

verte76 said:
Ooh, I loved the Police. I'll never forget spending the night on concrete so I could be first in line to get tickets on the Synchronicity tour. I thought Outlandos was underrated.

Which show or shows on the Synchronicity tour did you see?

martha said:

Ok, these were both more than 20 years ago, keep that in mind; my memories may have been a bit compromised (and I went to tons of concerts).

The first time was at either the Forum or the Sports Arena in LA, and it was on the Zenyatta tour I think because Sting wore a Beat t-shirt in the Don't Stand video and I wore my Beat t-shirt to the concert. I remember thinking at the time how good the concert was because of how good they were playing.

The second time was at Hollywood Park (in LA) of all places, an outdoor racetrack. It was before U2 played the Memorial Coluseum (I can't spell that word, so I've given up on it) and I swore off outdoor shows. I should have listened earlier. Video screens at concerts were new, and the band seemed more fascinated with the video screens than making music. They took a break in the middle of the show to go backstage and perform antics that were broadcast on the screen. I can't remember what tour is was. I didn't keep track of things like that back then. A new album came out, I went to see the concert.

The Hollywood Park show was in the first week of September of 1983 on the Synchronicity Tour. I can find the exact date later. It appears you skipped the Ghost in the Machine Tour which played the Forum 3 nights in a row in 1982. The Sports Arena show on Zenyatta was one of the last USA shows for the Zenyatta tour and took place in January 1981.

STING2 said:
The Hollywood Park show was in the first week of September of 1983 on the Synchronicity Tour. I can find the exact date later. It appears you skipped the Ghost in the Machine Tour which played the Forum 3 nights in a row in 1982. The Sports Arena show on Zenyatta was one of the last USA shows for the Zenyatta tour and took place in January 1981.

Thank you!

:hmm: It seems unlikely that I wouldn't have seen them on the Ghost tour. Unlikely, but quite possible.

Oh, yeah, another band I love that broke up before I got a chance to see them! :mad:

A lot of bands talk a lot of b.s. about how unique they are, but with the Police it was really true. There was no one quite like them before and no one quite like them since.

:hmm: again

I just found evidence of my attendance at a Ghost tour show. So, I either saw them three times (which I doubt, seeing as I can only picture two shows in my head) or what I thought was Zenyatta was indeed Ghost.

Either way STING2, check your email. :D

martha said:
:hmm: again

I just found evidence of my attendance at a Ghost tour show. So, I either saw them three times (which I doubt, seeing as I can only picture two shows in my head) or what I thought was Zenyatta was indeed Ghost.

Either way STING2, check your email. :D

Well, Sting wore the Beat shirt on the Zenyatta Tour, not the Ghost Tour from what I have seen, but perhaps he wore it that night. I presume you have the ticket stub for the Ghost tour, what does it say?

Back
Top Bottom