The Police Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
macphisto23 said:

Personally Sting has some great solo albums,

Soul Cages, Dream of the Blue Turtles , and Nothing Like The Sun, and 1 song off TST- "shape of my heart" everything past that has sucked, his music gets worse and worse every second.

Stings soul albums are GREAT indeed ... :love:

But, I beg to differ with you here, Sting's "Brand New Day" album
does NOT suck !!

There are songs on that album such as ... A Thousand Years / Desert Rose
After The Rain Has Fallen / Fill Her Up and Brand New Day ... that are AWESOME !! :applaud:

I like a lot of Sting's solo material, especially the first four albums. And while I like certain songs from his latest stuff (like the ones just mentioned), the albums as a whole are not as impressive. Half the album would be excellent, while the other half wouldn't be as good.

The Police was a great band, probably the first band I really got into.

Bought all their albums, "Bed's Too Big Without You" is my favorite Police track.

It's too bad I started getting into u2 and realized they were better. I mean, its all about opinion, but after I got into other bands like u2 I don't listen to the Police as much. I usually go back to "The Classics" CD they put out.

RademR said:

It's too bad I started getting into u2 and realized they were better. I mean, its all about opinion, but after I got into other bands like u2 I don't listen to the Police as much.

I'm afraid this is true for me as well. I saw them a couple of times back in the day, and they were just great the first time, but the second time, not as great. It was the beginning of the end, I think.

Did one or two good singles but as an album band they sucked big time! I sold all my Police albums cos they used to send me to sleep, now thats good if your suffering from insomnia, but I wasn't! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Did one or two good singles but as an album band they sucked big time! I sold all my Police albums cos they used to send me to sleep, now thats good if your suffering from insomnia, but I wasn't! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:wink:

hahaha
wrong!

martha said:

It was the LA Christie's viewing of the paintings for Peter and the Wolf. I was able to attend an invitation-only showing. Gavin was there. ( :drool: ) And then I noticed Stewart was there. He was hanging around talking to Gavin, looking relaxed and fabulous. :wink:

macphisto23 said:
The Police are awesome, but what do you mean Sting wrote the songs? Did he just come up with the melody? Or did he come up with the guitar riffs, and bass lines etc..? Or what does he do to write the songs?

sting came up with the melody and lyrics, wrote most of the guitar parts, (since he plays guitar), came up with the arrangements, played keyboards/piano, also played all the saxophones...and of course wrote all the bass lines.

RademR said:
I always heard Andy Summers never got the credit he was due, is that true??

The only credit Andy Summers has on The Police albums is ::

Be My Girl - Sally ... from their 1st album which he wrote with Sting

Behind My Camel ... an instrumental track from Zenyatta Mondatta
which Andy wrote himself.

Omegaman ... from Ghost In The Machine which he wrote too.

and Mother ... from Synchronicity that he also wrote.

Other than these songs, Andy didn't participate in writing the songs or music for the band.

Stewart Copeland was credited alot more than Andy Summers. Just check-out The Police's second album Reggatta De Blanc, you'll notice immediately there are several of Stewart's songs splattered all over it !!

But Sting was the overall songwriter in general, as he wrote most of their songs and who took the lead credit for The Police and their success ...

oh i did not know that Sting wrote Andy's guitar lines. but that makes me wonder, that if Sting wrote all the lyrics, bass lines, and guitar lines. then how come he sucks on his own. talk about a police reunion, if they even do reunite, they probably won't be as good as they were before.

Infinitum98 said:
if Sting wrote all the lyrics, bass lines, and guitar lines. then how come he sucks on his own.

I wish people would stop with the criticism ... :tsk:
This is supposed to be an APPRECIATION thread !! :applaud:
For the record, Sting's music does NOT suck ... :shame:
Although not EVERY song is a hit ... there are many that are! :yes:
Overall, Sting's songs are GREAT !! :drool:

MsMofoGone said:

I wish people would stop with the criticism ... :tsk:
This is supposed to be an APPRECIATION thread !! :applaud:
For the record, Sting's music does NOT suck ... :shame:
Although not EVERY song is a hit ... there are many that are! :yes:
Overall, Sting's songs are GREAT !! :drool:

Yea in this thread we have to appreciate the Police, not Sting tho:wink:

But let me get back on topic now, what does everyone think are the top 10 Police songs?

Infinitum98 said:
then how come he sucks on his own.

well, the suck factor you are speaking of comes from his age and desire to be more involved with world music and jazz, neither of which suck, but sting tries to hard to not be rock and roll.

plus, once you own your own castle with a moat and 7000 acres of land, you probably lose a bit of the edge to your songwriting.
not the same as writing a tune when you've got $5 to your name and you just stepped in a pile of dogshit on your way out of the subway coming from the latest job interview you did not get.

I cannot understand someone saying "Sting sucks". It's almost embarrassing to me.

That being said, this is about The Police, who we were just talking about at work last week.

Cannot believe how great they are, and I cannot believe how well their music holds up. They've been gone a long time, and some of their stuff sounds like it might have been recorded last week. It just reminds me of how much total shit is out there right now, being passed off as quality.

Anyway, a Police reunion would be nice, and if it ever happens, I hope it's more than a source for nostalgia, I'd hope they would go out there and kick some ass.

Sigh. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic was my personal theme song for 2 years in High School. Thank goodness I'm over my shyness (not).

:)

MsMofoGone said:
The only credit Andy Summers has on The Police albums is ::
didn't he also have some cowriting credits? i seem to recall him cowriting murder by numbers, but maybe that was stewart. my police cds are packed away (although the music is on my computer) and the composers aren't appearing on the mp3 ids.

since there's so much sting solo hate going on, i will reiterate i like some sting solo music. although lately i just feel so poor listening to it. i think it's just a combination of him teaming up with jaguar and all that, it's like :yikes: all right...suddenly the man and the music feels out of your league entirely. the album brand new day was horribly underrated (and i'll get flamed for saying this but i do not like the song desert rose. i'm glad it gave the album a boost but that song sucks).

martha said:

I'm afraid this is true for me as well. I saw them a couple of times back in the day, and they were just great the first time, but the second time, not as great. It was the beginning of the end, I think.

What shows did you see? Which tour and where? What did you not like about the second show you saw?

fah said:
I saw them in 1982 :hmm: It was 'the Ghost in the Machine' tour.

One of the best bands ever :up:

~wants to hear more~

WOW, did you see them in Vancouver? They played there in 1982 on the Ghost tour and again exactly one year later on the Synchronicity tour in 1983 which was in fact their last show ever in Canada.

The final show of the Synchronicity Tour and the final FULL Police show ever, was in Melbourne Australia on March 4, 1984 before a crowd of 60,000+ people.

The Police re-united for the last 3 Amnesty 86 shows in 1986 where they headlined the show, with U2 going on before them. U2 in total opened for the Police 5 times. Once in July 1980 in Dublin, again in July 1982 at Gateshead Stadium near NewCastle England, and then the final three Amnesty shows in 1986; June 11, 1986 Omni Arena , June 13, 1986 Rosemount Horizon near Chicago, and June 15, 1986 at GIANTS STADIUM near New York City.

In March 2003, the Police re-united to play 3 songs for their induction into the ROCK HALL OF FAME.

On Sting's recent tour of Colleges and small towns across the United States, STING played mainly Police songs, some of which had not been played in 25 years. The encores started out with "NEXT TO YOU" at full throttle. Sting just had two guitarist and a drummer with him and the sound was all Rock unlike much of his Solo tours. Other great Police songs played at each show were, Message In a Bottle, Demolition Man, Syncronicity II, Roxanne, Invisible Sun, Driven To Tears, Voices Inside My Head, When the World Is Running Down...., Spirits In the Material World, King Of Pain, and Every Breath You Take!

The two shows I saw were just incredible and were obviously my two favorite Sting shows with so much Police material played closely to the way the Police would do the songs.

Summers did co-write Murder by Numbers. I know he put his own feel and arrangement on many guitar parts, notably Every Breath, but essentially Sting wrote the song.

Top 10 Police (top of my head, I'm sure I'm excluding some candidates)...no particular order:

King of Pain
Every Breath You Take
Tea In the Sahara
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
Don't Stand So Close ('86)
Message In A Bottle
I Burn For You
Spirits in the Material World
Synchronicity I
Walking on the Moon

STING2 said:

WOW, did you see them in Vancouver? They played there in 1982 on the Ghost tour and again exactly one year later on the Synchronicity tour in 1983 which was in fact their last show ever in Canada.

The final show of the Synchronicity Tour and the final FULL Police show ever, was in Melbourne Australia on March 4, 1984 before a crowd of 60,000+ people.

The Police re-united for the last 3 Amnesty 86 shows in 1986 where they headlined the show, with U2 going on before them. U2 in total opened for the Police 5 times. Once in July 1980 in Dublin, again in July 1982 at Gateshead Stadium near NewCastle England, and then the final three Amnesty shows in 1986; June 11, 1986 Omni Arena , June 13, 1986 Rosemount Horizon near Chicago, and June 15, 1986 at GIANTS STADIUM near New York City.

In March 2003, the Police re-united to play 3 songs for their induction into the ROCK HALL OF FAME.

On Sting's recent tour of Colleges and small towns across the United States, STING played mainly Police songs, some of which had not been played in 25 years. The encores started out with "NEXT TO YOU" at full throttle. Sting just had two guitarist and a drummer with him and the sound was all Rock unlike much of his Solo tours. Other great Police songs played at each show were, Message In a Bottle, Demolition Man, Syncronicity II, Roxanne, Invisible Sun, Driven To Tears, Voices Inside My Head, When the World Is Running Down...., Spirits In the Material World, King Of Pain, and Every Breath You Take!

The two shows I saw were just incredible and were obviously my two favorite Sting shows with so much Police material played closely to the way the Police would do the songs.

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't aware that U2 opened for the Police in other shows besides Amnesty. U2 opening for the Police must have been insane. Opening bands nowadays suck.

BTW, does anyone have pictures of Andy handing over his guitar to the Edge and Stewart handing his drums to Larry @ the Amnesty. Cos in the U2 Legends show, you can see Sting giving his bass to Adam, and then Sting gave Adam a kiss on the head.

The Police are my third fav band, behind U2 and The Cure, I think there best song ever is "Wrapped around your finger" personally...and that song has really helped me over the years.
I'm kind of curious as to how fast they would play all there songs today if they reunited, currently listening to "Can't stand loosing you" from Live disc two...just there is no way they could play that fast now...synchronicity one as well...thats crazy fast.

Back
Top Bottom