The official Tim McCarverisms thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he gets a pitch in the inner half of the plate, he can yank it around the Pesky pole.

At this point in the game, a walk is as good as a home run.

speedracer said:
At this point in the game, a walk is as good as a home run.
I meant to reference this one this morning...I sort of get what he was trying to get across...you need that tying run to come to the plate whether it be by walking Matsui and being down 2 with him on first or him hitting a solo jack to make it 4-3, but the point Mr. Mccarver neglets to include is this:
Matsui homer...Bernie grounds to Pokey..you have 1 out and tying run coming to plate
Matsui walks...Bernie grounds to Pokey, you have 2 outs and still trail by 2...subtle difference he overlooked

Posted somewhere else..

"One thing that really upsets me is how the Fox announcers completely avoid discussing Derek Jeter's pact with Satan"

McCarver annoyed me last night the way he kept questioning why Curt wasn't staying in the game-did he miss the part about his ankle? :huh:

Ha! I love bagging on Tim McCarver. My all-time favorite was last year during the Braves-Cubs NLCS when he called Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez a good "contact hitter". This of a man who had averaged 136 K/yr over the previous 3 years.

The man just makes shit up as he goes along.

Hewson said:
I meant to reference this one this morning...I sort of get what he was trying to get across...you need that tying run to come to the plate whether it be by walking Matsui and being down 2 with him on first or him hitting a solo jack to make it 4-3, but the point Mr. Mccarver neglets to include is this:
Matsui homer...Bernie grounds to Pokey..you have 1 out and tying run coming to plate
Matsui walks...Bernie grounds to Pokey, you have 2 outs and still trail by 2...subtle difference he overlooked

Yeah, if you're looking to end the game with a home run, then all that matters is that the guys in front of you get on base. We know how that worked out for Tony Clark.

They got [David Ortiz] for peanuts. Expensive peanuts in today's market, but peanuts.

How about when Bellhorn's (? I'm so tired I don't even remember) HR hit the pole and they kept replaying the sound.

He said something like "well if anyone was napping that woke em up"

The best of all...when Kenny Albert is talking about the 1975 Islanders, the last hockey team to come back and win a series after fallin down 0-3...
Kenny: "the score of game 7 was 1-0, and who scored the only goal? Former Boston Bruin Ed Westphal"

Tim: "And Ed Westphal also used to play for the Boston Bruins"

Go Tim !, Go Tim !, Go Tim ! - what a tool. Here's to hoping McCarver does the World Series coverage too !

MrsSpringsteen said:
How about when Bellhorn's (? I'm so tired I don't even remember) HR hit the pole and they kept replaying the sound.

He said something like "well if anyone was napping that woke em up"

He also said something to the affect of "thats the worst sound I've ever heard in my life"

"I'm sure that the only person in this ballpark wearing a t-shirt tonight is Bronson Arroyo."

<cut to shot of fan wearing t-shirt>

DaveC said:
"I'm sure that the only person in this ballpark wearing a t-shirt tonight is Bronson Arroyo."

<cut to shot of fan wearing t-shirt>

the ESPN radio guys (i'm assuming they were different people, i actually have no idea since the station wouldn't come in for more than 10 seconds at a time...plus they were saying lame things as well) made a big deal about that, too. arroyo and...someone else. cabrera?

Last night's starting lineup according to McCarver:
Cardinals
SS: Edward Renteria
RF: Johnnie Walker
1B: Alex Pujols
3B: Gena Rolen
CF: Dave Edmonds
DH: Ricky Sanders
2B: Leeann Womack
C: Pat Metheny
CF: Hideki Taguchi
P: Bernie Williams

Red Sox:
CF: Matt Damon
SS: Miguel Cabrera
LF: Hector Ramirez
DH: Russ Ortiz
1B: Steve Millar
RF: Richard Nixon
3B: Steve Mueller
C: Dave Mirabelli
2B; Bob Bellhorn
P: Bill Wakefield

I forget exactly what he said when Womack got hit by the Ortiz grounder, but it was impressive use of his medical vocabulary. :ohmy:

I kinda like Tim McCarver. He's been doing color-commentary since I started watching the World Series in 1989, and it's almost like hearing from an old friend who happens to dye his hair with ice tea and shoe polish. ;)

After the Red Sox' 4th error in game 2, with the score 4-1...
"Its amazing, last night 4 errors lead to 6 runs and tonight 4 errors lead to zero runs."
The Cardinals lone run at the time was scored when Albert Pujols trotted home from 3rd on Bill Mueller's 2 out error on Reggie Sanders' ground ball in the 4th inning.

Not even the 2nd batter in to Game 3...

"If the hitter puts the ball into play, you use the defense, particularly the infield defense."

Should be some more classics to add...I'm sure Vernon Wells or maybe HG Wells will pitch for the Red Sox at some point this year.

"[Vladimir Guerrero's] strike zone starts when he gets out of bed in the morning"

Back
Top Bottom